Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > woops

Reply
Thread Tools

woops

 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2007
This article needs pictures!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
ADVERTISEMENT

T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.

The accident happened in October, 2006. The server destined for the U.S.
Patent and Trademark Office, was being transferred from a delivery truck to
T.R. Systems' warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. It
was packaged in a crate on a pallet and held on a fork-lift truck's prongs.

--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a
previously solved joke.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
peterwn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2007
Shane wrote:
> This article needs pictures!
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
> ADVERTISEMENT
>
> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
>


It is most probably a spat between insurance companies. It would seem
doubtful that industry practice requires such equipment to be packaged
to withstand falling off a fork-lift, hence T.R.'s insurer's claim would
seem doomed to failure.

Probably what is more important in practice is how quickly IBM can
supply a replacement.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2007
peterwn wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> This article needs pictures!
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
>> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
>> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
>> ADVERTISEMENT
>>
>> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
>> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
>>

>
> It is most probably a spat between insurance companies. It would seem
> doubtful that industry practice requires such equipment to be packaged
> to withstand falling off a fork-lift, hence T.R.'s insurer's claim would
> seem doomed to failure.
>
> Probably what is more important in practice is how quickly IBM can
> supply a replacement.


or more likely TR's insurance company decided TR did not take adequate
care so declined to cover them....

I cannot see TR winning this one...but America is a funny place for
sueing people....

Packaging any server to survive a drop from 1 to 2 metres, probably onto
unforgiving concrete against its own weight would be very
difficult....even if you could pack it in enough foam, the server's
internals would have to be made strong enough to absorb the sudden stop
when its case hit the deck....I cannot see how it is practical to do
so.....I cant blame IBM for not turning up...if they repaired it, they
would probably be expected to be liable for its repair over the 5 year
life....quite possibly also downtime....these things are expected to be
reliable after all, if it was not due to hidden damage IBM could lose a
fortune....

regards

Thing











 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2007
Shane wrote:
> This article needs pictures!
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
> ADVERTISEMENT
>
> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
>
> The accident happened in October, 2006. The server destined for the U.S.
> Patent and Trademark Office, was being transferred from a delivery truck to
> T.R. Systems' warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. It
> was packaged in a crate on a pallet and held on a fork-lift truck's prongs.
>

It wouldn't be the first time.

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~shipman/write/torture.html

I once watched a set of cabinets containing the sections of a mainframe
being rolled out of a computer centre that was being refurbished. As
they went out of the door they had to do a right turn and dipped
alarmingly. After all had been moved we took up the floor and discovered
that one of the tiles was only held up by three posts, the other one
having moved away. Just one more box over the tile and it might have
collapsed and allowed the box to fall over.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stu Fleming
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2007
thingy wrote:

> I cannot see TR winning this one...but America is a funny place for
> sueing people....


Depends. Was the server switched on at the time?
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2007
Shane wrote:
> This article needs pictures!
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.


About par for the course. A company I was working for had a $1M+ server
being airfreighted urgently to NZ a couple of years ago. Due to an
engineering problem with the plane it was on it was unloaded and left
sitting on the tarmac at Singapore airport before being loaded onto
another plane. Unfortunately whilst it was left in the open air a nice
wee tropical downpour occurred - net outcome was one ****ed server and a
*very* large insurance claim for consequential losses.

Oh... anyone here work for the ISP who dropped a DSLAM down a flight of
stairs a few weeks ago?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2007
Enkidu wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> This article needs pictures!
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/136483
>> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
>> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
>> ADVERTISEMENT
>>
>> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
>> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
>>
>> The accident happened in October, 2006. The server destined for the U.S.
>> Patent and Trademark Office, was being transferred from a delivery
>> truck to
>> T.R. Systems' warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. It
>> was packaged in a crate on a pallet and held on a fork-lift truck's
>> prongs.
>>

> It wouldn't be the first time.
>
> http://infohost.nmt.edu/~shipman/write/torture.html
>
> I once watched a set of cabinets containing the sections of a mainframe
> being rolled out of a computer centre that was being refurbished. As
> they went out of the door they had to do a right turn and dipped
> alarmingly. After all had been moved we took up the floor and discovered
> that one of the tiles was only held up by three posts, the other one
> having moved away. Just one more box over the tile and it might have
> collapsed and allowed the box to fall over.


I've seen several collapses, and none did much damage really. In San
Francisco there was a site trying to get a 360/30 (the computer with an
air pump in it and an LP(low pressure) indicator on the front) in a 3rd
floor wiondo with a crane, and it fell to the sidewalk. That really
exploded into an amazing number of pieces.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments