Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft XP Bloat

Microsoft XP Bloat

peterwn

Jerry wrote:
> peterwn wrote:

> Why would you need more RAM because of files on the HDD?

Because I strongly suspect that XP with SP2 and other security updates
takes up more RAM space than original XP. I do not know for sure, it is
just a suspicion. I also suspect that it is consuming more machine
cycles as well.

peterwn

Gordon wrote:
> On 2007-08-28, Saftey First <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Aug 28, 4:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>>> Seems like a brute-force approach to recovering from bad installations,
>>> doesn't it? Linux systems can cope with this without creating
>>> multi-gigabytes worth of restore points.

>> I can understand your frustration, but if you are so upset over this
>> (which I don't really get as I find XP just fine) why not load Linux
>> on the laptop and be done with it?
>>

> Cause his friend may want XP. See original post

Alas, this is the case. The matter was carefully considered with a
decision to persist with XP for the next few years then review.

peterwn

impossible wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46d38736$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
>> 3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
>> about 5.6G.
>>

> What you're calling "bloat" is mostly backup files. Copies of the system
> updates (check your Windows folder) take up about 300Mb -- you don't have to
> keep these if you don't want, but unless you're really stretched for disk
> space I don't see what the objection would be.. As for the rest of the 2Gb,
> I think you'll probably find that most of it is consumed by your System
> Volume Information folder, which contains all the System Restore files.
> Since new restore points are created by default after every new system
> update or application installation, it's easy for this folder to get big in
> a hurry. This can be controlled under System Restore settings, or else you
> can just periodically run the Disk Cleanup utility and select the option to
> delete all but the latest System Restore file.

Therein lie the problems. SP2 wasted alot of time creating backup files
which I did not need, surely it should have asked first.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <46d3d55f$(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn wrote:

> The matter was carefully considered with a
> decision to persist with XP for the next few years then review.

I would suggest the next review happen in not more than two years' time.
Microsoft has stated it will stop resellers from offering XP from the end
of January, I believe it is. So if you continue using XP after that, it
will be a system you will no longer be able to replace (not with a new one,
anyway).

Dogboy

> Therein lie the problems. SP2 wasted alot of time creating backup files
> which I did not need, surely it should have asked first

Not sure what your doing but whenever I install SP2 it does ask.

Geoff

peterwn wrote:
> I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
> fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.
>
> When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
> 'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
> probably not up to date.
>
> After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but
> following installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing
> Office, Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG
> anti-virus a further 1G.
>
> Now the breath-taking part - Installing all AVG and MS security
> updates took another whopping 1.1G, now making this 6.3G in all.
> Restoring user data (timmed down) increased this to 7G.
>
> It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
> 3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
> about 5.6G.
>
> Talk about bloat!

You have a minute HDD or something ?

> I suspect that I am going to have to install some extra RAM in he
> laptop to compensate for the higher memory demands of a bloated OS.

Why do you draw that conclusion ?

> By comparison, my Linux system I use day to day, the operating system,
> Gnome, Open Office and other application software occupies a measley
> 2.5G.

Aha. The true intent of the thread revealed. A religous post.

geoff

Geoff

Jonathan Walker wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:41:39 +0000, Saftey First wrote:
>
>> I can understand your frustration, but if you are so upset over this
>> (which I don't really get as I find XP just fine) why not load Linux
>> on the laptop and be done with it?

> Some of us simply do not use any M$ software at all on our own
> computers.
>
> Why should we when there are known security and performance issues to
> do with using M$ software?

So why do these people read MS threads ? About as annoying a the Jehovahs
really. And as rational.

geoff

Geoff

peterwn wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> peterwn wrote:

>> Why would you need more RAM because of files on the HDD?

> Because I strongly suspect that XP with SP2 and other security updates
> takes up more RAM space than original XP. I do not know for sure, it
> is just a suspicion. I also suspect that it is consuming more machine
> cycles as well.

With half a clue you could easily find out for yourself. It not like SP2
came out yesterday.

geoff

Jonathan Walker

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:59:05 +1200, Geoff wrote:

>> Why should we when there are known security and performance issues to do
>> with using M$ software?

> So why do these people read MS threads ? About as annoying a the Jehovahs
> really. And as rational.

I wasn't aware that there were specifically MS types of threads in
newsgroups.

When were they invented?

--
Jonathan Walker

Cima

Jonathan Walker wrote:

> Some of us simply do not use any M$ software at all on our own
> computers.
>
> Why should we when there are known security and performance issues to
> do with using M$ software?

Doesn't stop you from constantly posting MS threads does it, Jonathan Wanker.