Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft XP Bloat

Microsoft XP Bloat

peterwn

I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.

When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
probably not up to date.

After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but following
installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing Office,
Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG anti-virus a
further 1G.

Now the breath-taking part - Installing all AVG and MS security updates
took another whopping 1.1G, now making this 6.3G in all.
Restoring user data (timmed down) increased this to 7G.

It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
about 5.6G.

Talk about bloat!

I suspect that I am going to have to install some extra RAM in he laptop
to compensate for the higher memory demands of a bloated OS.

By comparison, my Linux system I use day to day, the operating system,
Gnome, Open Office and other application software occupies a measley 2.5G.

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46d38736$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
> 3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
> about 5.6G.

What you're calling "bloat" is mostly backup files. Copies of the system
updates (check your Windows folder) take up about 300Mb -- you don't have to
keep these if you don't want, but unless you're really stretched for disk
space I don't see what the objection would be.. As for the rest of the 2Gb,
I think you'll probably find that most of it is consumed by your System
Volume Information folder, which contains all the System Restore files.
Since new restore points are created by default after every new system
update or application installation, it's easy for this folder to get big in
a hurry. This can be controlled under System Restore settings, or else you
can just periodically run the Disk Cleanup utility and select the option to
delete all but the latest System Restore file.

Dogboy

peterwn wrote:
> I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
> fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.
>
> When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
> 'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
> probably not up to date.
>
> After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but following
> installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing Office,
> Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG anti-virus a
> further 1G.

So your saying that AVG (a 16ish Meg self extracting exe) takes up 1GB
of space on your computer once installed? It only takes up 35 megs on
my machine.

Have you considered things like system restore filling up its allocated
space?

Mutlley

peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
>fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.
>
>When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
>'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
>probably not up to date.
>
>After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but following
>installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing Office,
>Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG anti-virus a
>further 1G.
>
>Now the breath-taking part - Installing all AVG and MS security updates
>took another whopping 1.1G, now making this 6.3G in all.
>Restoring user data (timmed down) increased this to 7G.
>
>It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
>3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
>about 5.6G.
>
>Talk about bloat!
>
>I suspect that I am going to have to install some extra RAM in he laptop
>to compensate for the higher memory demands of a bloated OS.
>
>By comparison, my Linux system I use day to day, the operating system,
>Gnome, Open Office and other application software occupies a measley 2.5G.

You can most likely get ride of some of the bloat by deleting the
updates files in the windozs directory. The ones
$NtUninstallKB900485$ etc..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <h%MAi.61331$Xa3.41285@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:

> As for the rest of
> the 2Gb, I think you'll probably find that most of it is consumed by your
> System Volume Information folder, which contains all the System Restore
> files. Since new restore points are created by default after every new
> system update or application installation, it's easy for this folder to
> get big in a hurry.

Seems like a brute-force approach to recovering from bad installations,
doesn't it? Linux systems can cope with this without creating
multi-gigabytes worth of restore points.

Greg House

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:24:14 +1200, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
>fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.
>
>When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
>'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
>probably not up to date.
>
>After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but following
>installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing Office,
>Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG anti-virus a
>further 1G.
>
>Now the breath-taking part - Installing all AVG and MS security updates
>took another whopping 1.1G, now making this 6.3G in all.
>Restoring user data (timmed down) increased this to 7G.
>
>It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
>3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
>about 5.6G.
>
>Talk about bloat!
>
>I suspect that I am going to have to install some extra RAM in he laptop
>to compensate for the higher memory demands of a bloated OS.
>
>By comparison, my Linux system I use day to day, the operating system,
>Gnome, Open Office and other application software occupies a measley 2.5G.

Clear out the stuff that MS leaves behind..

Documents and Settings Username
Local Settings Temp folder.

Windows Temp folder and all files in the Windows folder starting with $

Also use IE Tools/Internet Options remove the Temp Internet files.

Why not use MS Works instead of the Office and Publisher or Sun Office thing..

Or just get Crap Cleaner..

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Saftey First

On Aug 28, 4:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <h%MAi.61331$Xa3.41285@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:
>
> > As for the rest of
> > the 2Gb, I think you'll probably find that most of it is consumed by your
> > System Volume Information folder, which contains all the System Restore
> > files. Since new restore points are created by default after every new
> > system update or application installation, it's easy for this folder to
> > get big in a hurry.

> Seems like a brute-force approach to recovering from bad installations,
> doesn't it? Linux systems can cope with this without creating
> multi-gigabytes worth of restore points.

I can understand your frustration, but if you are so upset over this
(which I don't really get as I find XP just fine) why not load Linux
on the laptop and be done with it?

Gordon

On 2007-08-28, Saftey First <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 4:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message <h%MAi.61331$Xa3.41285@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:
>>
>> > As for the rest of
>> > the 2Gb, I think you'll probably find that most of it is consumed by your
>> > System Volume Information folder, which contains all the System Restore
>> > files. Since new restore points are created by default after every new
>> > system update or application installation, it's easy for this folder to
>> > get big in a hurry.

>> Seems like a brute-force approach to recovering from bad installations,
>> doesn't it? Linux systems can cope with this without creating
>> multi-gigabytes worth of restore points.

> I can understand your frustration, but if you are so upset over this
> (which I don't really get as I find XP just fine) why not load Linux
> on the laptop and be done with it?

Cause his friend may want XP. See original post

Jonathan Walker

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:41:39 +0000, Saftey First wrote:

> I can understand your frustration, but if you are so upset over this
> (which I don't really get as I find XP just fine) why not load Linux on
> the laptop and be done with it?

Some of us simply do not use any M$ software at all on our own computers.

Why should we when there are known security and performance issues to do
with using M$ software?

--
Jonathan Walker

Jerry

peterwn wrote:
> I have just re-installed XP in a laptop for a friend. The setup is
> fairly typical including typical XP Office Pro including Publisher.
>
> When I first looked at it, C Drive had 5.5G used including about 1G in
> 'Document and Settings' - anti-virus and MS security updates were
> probably not up to date.
>
> After restoring from the rescue CD's, 3.6G of HD was used, but following
> installing SP2 updates, this increased by 1.4G. Installing Office,
> Publisher and a printer driver took an extra 0.7G, an AVG anti-virus a
> further 1G.
>
> Now the breath-taking part - Installing all AVG and MS security updates
> took another whopping 1.1G, now making this 6.3G in all.
> Restoring user data (timmed down) increased this to 7G.
>
> It seems that MS security updates (including SP2) bloated the original
> 3.6G of XP (including sundry items provided by the laptop maker) up to
> about 5.6G.
>
> Talk about bloat!
>
> I suspect that I am going to have to install some extra RAM in he laptop
> to compensate for the higher memory demands of a bloated OS.
>
> By comparison, my Linux system I use day to day, the operating system,
> Gnome, Open Office and other application software occupies a measley 2.5G.

Why would you need more RAM because of files on the HDD?