Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop for graphic design: where to start?

Laptop for graphic design: where to start?

Boppy

Hi guys, I have been looking at prices on Pricespy and some laptops
actually seem quite affordable. The problem is, Pricespy only gives
model numbers then you have to folllow links and do some convoluted
searching at individual sites to find the item that matches the price
you click on.

I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad, and 2 GB ram.
It seems I may also need a dedicated video card as I will be dealing
with memory intensive apps like Photoshop, etc.

Asking for advice in graphic design circles always gets the response
to buy a Mac but as I do not wish to purchase new Mac versions of all
my current software, this is not a real option for me.

I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right
direction as to what I should be looking for, so at least I can start
narrowing down brands, models, etc, on PriceSpy. Recommendations for
particular dealers would be gratefullly received too.

Thanks in advance,

PeeCee

"Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi guys, I have been looking at prices on Pricespy and some laptops
> actually seem quite affordable. The problem is, Pricespy only gives
> model numbers then you have to folllow links and do some convoluted
> searching at individual sites to find the item that matches the price
> you click on.
>
> I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad, and 2 GB ram.
> It seems I may also need a dedicated video card as I will be dealing
> with memory intensive apps like Photoshop, etc.
>
> Asking for advice in graphic design circles always gets the response
> to buy a Mac but as I do not wish to purchase new Mac versions of all
> my current software, this is not a real option for me.
>
> I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right
> direction as to what I should be looking for, so at least I can start
> narrowing down brands, models, etc, on PriceSpy. Recommendations for
> particular dealers would be gratefullly received too.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Kinda hard to make a specific recommendation as there are so many 'personal'
preferences involved.
What I might think is ideal, the next poster might disagree unless you get x
brand or y operating system, get PC express slot insted of a PCMCIA slot...

A preferable way would be for 'you' to sit down and list your preferences
and pretty soon you will be able to narrow the choices down.

You have already started the process by listing the following preferences:
17" screen
2GB Ram
Dedicated Video card
Microsoft Windows (by implication)

Add to that the following
$$$$ budget. (unless you have unlimited funds, in which case just go buy 2
or 3 and toss the unwanted one's my way)
OS Version (XP, Vista)
Brand preferences. (Acer, ASUS, Dell, IBM, Toshiba, HP/Compaq...)
(ATI/Nvidia) (not forgetting Intel vs AMD)
I/O ports. (USB, Firewire, Memory stick slot, PCMCIA/PC Express slot,
Serial, Vga....)
Battery Life
Performance
CDRW/DVDRW/RAM
Bundled software.
Carry bag.
Mouse included.
Backup support (phone, physical store, international warranties...)
etc
etc.

Once you have narrowed you choice down to a few candidates 'then' hit the
web and research the spec's and comments and reviews by real users. That way
you will get a machine that meets 'your' needs and the user feedback will
reduce your chances of getting a dog.

Note many laptops of the same name come in different sub models depending on
the CPU/RAM/HD installed and it is usually not economic to 'upgrade' the
Laptop later on to a higher spec.

As a final comment don't forget to consider Laptop vs Desktop, sure Laptop's
are sexy and portable, but if your need to edit photo's in Photoshop is that
important, you're going to get better performance for your $ with a desktop.

Best
Paul.

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
by the name of Boppy exclaimed:
> I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad,

numeric keypad? On a laptop? I didn't think they
existed.
You can get external USB numeric keypads however.

> and 2 GB ram.
> It seems I may also need a dedicated video card as I will be dealing
> with memory intensive apps like Photoshop, etc.

Most laptops now offer the option to upgrade to some
semi-dedicated (discrete) video card.

But - to be honest - I doubt Photoshop cares. Unless
you're doing 3D or video editing any typical built in
video will be OK.

Much more serious problem would be finding a good
screen, as laptops are not good with color accuracy.
(Traditionally they've been for business users and the
graphic designers get a big expensive desktop).

THe people who suggest a Mac are not stupid, because
graphic designers are one of Apple's main markets, even
their laptops are probably OK for it.

> I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right
> direction as to what I should be looking for, so at least I can start
> narrowing down brands, models, etc, on PriceSpy. Recommendations for
> particular dealers would be gratefullly received too.

Dell Precision laptops? They are basically intended for
graphics, to be a portable workstation.

If you want to get a "graphic design laptop" on the
cheap, you're being silly. Just buy any old laptop and
make do, it costs money to get quality.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Aaron Lawrence
wrote:

> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
> by the name of Boppy exclaimed:
>
>> I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad,

> numeric keypad? On a laptop? I didn't think they existed.

Funny you should say that (second-last picture):
<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41862>.

Dave Taylor

Aaron Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Much more serious problem would be finding a good
> screen, as laptops are not good with color accuracy.
> (Traditionally they've been for business users and the
> graphic designers get a big expensive desktop).

Maybe some Colour calibration would help?
Colour Copier people should have access to this but it might cost:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/r..._profiler.html

--
Ciao, Dave

Richard

Dave Taylor wrote:
> Aaron Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> Much more serious problem would be finding a good
>> screen, as laptops are not good with color accuracy.
>> (Traditionally they've been for business users and the
>> graphic designers get a big expensive desktop).

> Maybe some Colour calibration would help?
> Colour Copier people should have access to this but it might cost:
> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/r..._profiler.html

No, because unless you view an LCD from the exact same position, then
the colors will shift.

Also there is the inherent gradient from top to bottom because of the
different angle you are seeing it which doesnt seem to bother most people.

The number of times I see people tilt their tft a little to get some
more contrast on letters... usually the same people that go on about how
wonderful and bright their new screen is at the same time.... lol

Greg House

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 06:47:15 -0000, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys, I have been looking at prices on Pricespy and some laptops
>actually seem quite affordable. The problem is, Pricespy only gives
>model numbers then you have to folllow links and do some convoluted
>searching at individual sites to find the item that matches the price
>you click on.
>
>I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad, and 2 GB ram.
>It seems I may also need a dedicated video card as I will be dealing
>with memory intensive apps like Photoshop, etc.
>
>Asking for advice in graphic design circles always gets the response
>to buy a Mac but as I do not wish to purchase new Mac versions of all
>my current software, this is not a real option for me.
>
>I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right
>direction as to what I should be looking for, so at least I can start
>narrowing down brands, models, etc, on PriceSpy. Recommendations for
>particular dealers would be gratefullly received too.
>
>Thanks in advance,

Laptops are far to slow have have small slow Hard Drives..

Murray Symon

Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 06:47:15 -0000, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi guys, I have been looking at prices on Pricespy and some laptops
>>actually seem quite affordable. The problem is, Pricespy only gives
>>model numbers then you have to folllow links and do some convoluted
>>searching at individual sites to find the item that matches the price
>>you click on.
>>
>>I am seeking a laptop with 17" monitor, numberic keypad, and 2 GB ram.
>>It seems I may also need a dedicated video card as I will be dealing
>>with memory intensive apps like Photoshop, etc.
>>
>>Asking for advice in graphic design circles always gets the response
>>to buy a Mac but as I do not wish to purchase new Mac versions of all
>>my current software, this is not a real option for me.
>>
>>I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right
>>direction as to what I should be looking for, so at least I can start
>>narrowing down brands, models, etc, on PriceSpy. Recommendations for
>>particular dealers would be gratefullly received too.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,

> Laptops are far to slow have have small slow Hard Drives..

1. The latest Intel core 2 duo chips give surprisingly good performance.
2. The disk drives have to be small to fit in the smaller case dimensions.

Jonathan Walker

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:09:32 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

> 1. The latest Intel core 2 duo chips give surprisingly good performance.
> 2. The disk drives have to be small to fit in the smaller case dimensions.

All this begs the question: Why would a person want to use a *laptop* to
do graphic design work?

Surely the resources possible in a desktop PC would be the better option
over any laptop.

Also, aren't CRT monitors (with wider gamut and dynamic range) still better
for graphic design than LCD monitors?

--
Jonathan Walker

Richard

Greg House wrote:

> Laptops are far to slow have have small slow Hard Drives..

Core 2 duos work quite nicely, and ram being so cheap means that the
days of having to have massive scratch areas for photoshop are largely
gone, so drive speed is less relevant.

People want laptops so they can work from different places, some people
have a life and leave there house you know woger?