Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra's Damage Control - Too Little Too Late

Xtra's Damage Control - Too Little Too Late

Donchano

By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?

In addition, I've noticed that Telecom and Xtra seem to have become
one in the same again, after years of insisting that they were two
separate entities and using that as an excuse not to take
responsibility for each other's ****-ups. Could this signal a more
honest, customer driven epoch in Telecom's slow, almost glacial change
from being a government department (and acting like one) to being a
genuine private enterprise? Somehow I doubt it ...

Subject: Important - Your Xtra Email Settings

Dear Customer

Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
reset.

We are aware that some customers have been experiencing difficulties
sending Xtra email. If you have been having problems, this email may
be able to help you resolve them.

We have noticed that you have unsuccessfully attempted to send email
via Xtra over the last couple of days. It may be that your settings
have been changed incorrectly or have stopped working and are
therefore causing these problems.

To resolve this current issue we would encourage you to check your
settings and re-set them to enable you to send email again. The
correct settings can be found at
http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-7780597,0.html

Please note it is important that you follow the instructions carefully
as the settings need to be followed exactly to ensure that your mail
is set up correctly.

If you continue to have problems sending email please contact our
Helpdesk on 0800 110 090.

Kind Regards

Team @ Xtra

In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
would file this under "Too Little Too Late."

Cima

>Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
>reset.

Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:

In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
^^^^
didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back to
smtp.xtra.co.nz and it worked. I sent a message from my Paradise webmail to them
and it ended up in their ****in SPAM folder on that ridiculous Bubblebullshit
Webmail! Total ballsup. She hasn't received any emails all week, a couple were
in the spam folder though, but where the hell are the rest of them.

Jerry

Donchano wrote:
> By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
> earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
> wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
> why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
>
> In addition, I've noticed that Telecom and Xtra seem to have become
> one in the same again, after years of insisting that they were two
> separate entities and using that as an excuse not to take
> responsibility for each other's ****-ups. Could this signal a more
> honest, customer driven epoch in Telecom's slow, almost glacial change
> from being a government department (and acting like one) to being a
> genuine private enterprise? Somehow I doubt it ...
>
> Subject: Important - Your Xtra Email Settings
>
> Dear Customer
>
> Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
> reset.
>
> We are aware that some customers have been experiencing difficulties
> sending Xtra email. If you have been having problems, this email may
> be able to help you resolve them.
>
> We have noticed that you have unsuccessfully attempted to send email
> via Xtra over the last couple of days. It may be that your settings
> have been changed incorrectly or have stopped working and are
> therefore causing these problems.
>
> To resolve this current issue we would encourage you to check your
> settings and re-set them to enable you to send email again. The
> correct settings can be found at
> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-7780597,0.html
>
> Please note it is important that you follow the instructions carefully
> as the settings need to be followed exactly to ensure that your mail
> is set up correctly.
>
> If you continue to have problems sending email please contact our
> Helpdesk on 0800 110 090.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Team @ Xtra
>

> In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
> weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
> would file this under "Too Little Too Late."

Xtra did away with their news servers, perhaps e-mail will be the next
non-essential service to go

BTMO

"Donchano" <> wrote

> In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
> weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
> would file this under "Too Little Too Late."

Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
by idiots, and that the customers should be glad to get anything.

Boneheads...

Matty F

On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
> >reset.

> Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
>
> In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
> ^^^^
> didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back tosmtp.xtra.co.nzand it worked.

Same here. "send.xtra.co.nz" just times out.
"smtp.xtra.co.nz" still works fine as it has done for years.
So now 100,000 people are going to mess up their pop mail and there'll
be another 80 pages of complaints in the Herald about that.

Geoff

Jerry wrote:

> Xtra did away with their news servers, perhaps e-mail will be the next
> non-essential service to go

Not only did they junk their news server, if you have their
"so-good-they-canned-it" Go Large deal, they throttle USENET traffic back so
hard most alternative servers time out trying to update or even trying to
download a 3K text-only post !

geoff

Old Wolf

On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
> by idiots,

If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
point of view.

BTMO

"Old Wolf" <> wrote

>> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
>> peopled
>> by idiots,

> If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
> point of view.

You know, that cuts both ways. I have had some *bizarre* experiences talking
to the Xtra helpdesk....

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>, Old Wolf
wrote:

> On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
>> peopled by idiots,

> If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
> point of view.

So YOU'RE one of those helpdesk people that customers have to suffer every
time they call...

Donchano

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:15:54 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>"Old Wolf" <> wrote
>
>>> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is
>>> peopled
>>> by idiots,

>> If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
>> point of view.

>You know, that cuts both ways. I have had some *bizarre* experiences talking
>to the Xtra helpdesk....

Trying to communicate with Xtra's Asian representatives can also be a
bit of a challenge. They might speak English, but not all of them are
really conversant in English. The young woman I spoke to over the
weekend (after being disconnected six times and waiting 45 minutes of
the final attempt) seemed friendly and enthusiastic, but all she could
do is spout official platitudes such as "we are committed to bringing
customers the best service" ... "this is all part of improving our
email service," ... and the biggest bullshit of all, "this is all
being caused by everybody rushing to sign up for the new Yahoo/Xtra
Bubble."

She finally admitted that their lines were jammed with people with the
same problem I was describing (not being able to send email), but she
wasn't able to help me solve it or explain why nothing was posted
about the problem on Xtra's status report (and never was).

At least she opened a case number for me so I didn't have to explain
everything again when I had to call on Monday morning.

To put it another way, I've spoken with some really great people at
Xtra over the years, but I've also spoken with some real dolts who
didn't have a clue what they were talking about.