Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra's Damage Control - Too Little Too Late

Reply
Thread Tools

Xtra's Damage Control - Too Little Too Late

 
 
Peter Huebner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
[snippage]
> In view of Telecom's announcement about compensation to users over the
> weekend's email fiasco (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4176846a10.html), I
> would file this under "Too Little Too Late."
>


Carefully crafted by a team of experienced spin doctors working through the
hours when the helpdesk is not available, I see <evil cackle>.

This gives new meaning to 'avoiding the issue'. A genuine piece of art.

-P.

--
=========================================
firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
On 2007-08-24, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
> earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
> wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
> why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
>

Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?

To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.

The irony is, the only way to get this fixed is to get Xtra's market share
down.

More irony is displayed by the people who post in these ng, saying that they
are affected by Xtra's actions. For the people who post to ng are *not* low
IQ IT/internet aware people.

Oh well, as my Mother often says, Are not people funny? (Not in Ha Ha but as
in Why do they do that? )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
On 2007-08-24, Old Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 3:05 pm, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Xtra is one of those funny companies that believe that the market is peopled
>> by idiots,

>
> If you've ever worked on an Xtra helpdesk, you will understand that
> point of view.
>

Idiots or ignorant? Ignorance can be cured
 
Reply With Quote
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
On 24 Aug 2007 06:30:28 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> magnanimously
proffered:

>On 2007-08-24, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> By now, many of you will have received the same Xtra email I did
>> earlier today and are probably wondering, like I am, why the braindead
>> wankers didn't send this out BEFORE the weekend's email fiasco - and
>> why it's taken them sooooooo long to send it AFTER it happened?
>>

>Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?
>
>To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.
>
>The irony is, the only way to get this fixed is to get Xtra's market share
>down.
>
>More irony is displayed by the people who post in these ng, saying that they
>are affected by Xtra's actions. For the people who post to ng are *not* low
>IQ IT/internet aware people.
>
>Oh well, as my Mother often says, Are not people funny? (Not in Ha Ha but as
>in Why do they do that? )


Speaking for myself, I've been with Xtra since the beginning. And
although they **** me off and I have tried two other ISP's (while
keeping my Xtra account), I've still found Xtra to be the best of a
bad lot - both in terms of service (when it works) and cost.

The other reason is that my Xtra broadband is bundled with the rest of
my Telecom account (phone, call plans, call waiting, phone diversion,
cellphones, etc). So to unbundle all that would not only cost me more,
it would leave me with the challenge of what company or companies to
use instead.

AFAIC the devil I know is a best option at the moment. But give me
another, more attractive option and I wouldn't hesitate to show
Telecom/Xtra the same level of loyalty as they've shown me over the
years.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Boppy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
> >reset.

>
> Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
>
> In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
> ^^^^
> didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back to
> smtp.xtra.co.nz and it worked. I sent a message from my Paradise webmail to them
> and it ended up in their ****in SPAM folder on that ridiculous Bubblebullshit
> Webmail! Total ballsup. She hasn't received any emails all week, a couple were
> in the spam folder though, but where the hell are the rest of them.


As you are obviously a helpful person, do you happen to know how to
get the @officemail.co.nz mail systems working again? It was working
fine all week and as soon as I changed my personal mail server
settings, officemail stopped working for my other account. I am up to
35 minutes on hold now. I must have listened to 5 hours of the same
Kiwi music CD during the course of this week ...

 
Reply With Quote
 
joe_90
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
Boppy wrote:
> I must have listened to 5 hours of the same
> Kiwi music CD during the course of this week ...


Well there's grounds for compensation for starters

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
On Aug 24, 6:30 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Question, Why do so many people go/stay with Xtra?
>
> To me it is like you are willing to be abused, all too often.


To be honest, on the two occasions that I have got through to an Xtra
helpdesk, they have been more than helpful.
Up until last week their system has usually been very reliable.
Xtra's helpdesk and service is a whole lot better than ihug, Orcon and
TelstraClear, who are all abysmal and rude in my experience, and I
will not recommend any of those three when I install systems for
people.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bugalugs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
Matty F wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2:30 pm, Cima <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Important - Your Xtra Email Settings need to be checked and possibly
>>> reset.

>> Hmmm, I was helping someone this morning, and this:
>>
>> In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field, enter send.xtra.co.nz
>> ^^^^
>> didn't work (I changed the ports as per the instructions). Went back tosmtp.xtra.co.nzand it worked.

>
> Same here. "send.xtra.co.nz" just times out.
> "smtp.xtra.co.nz" still works fine as it has done for years.
> So now 100,000 people are going to mess up their pop mail and there'll
> be another 80 pages of complaints in the Herald about that.
>


Got 3 of those "messages" and after hours on the phone was no further
forward. However finally worked out (in Thunderbird) that if you edit
the current SMTP by unticking the box 'use name and password' you can
send mail.

To adopt the new changes change the SMTP to send.xtra.co.nz and the
port to 465 as they tell you. BUT ALSO tick the 'use name and
password' AS WELL AS ticking 'use secure connection'
"SSL"

Don't waste your time with the 'help' number quoted in the email (0800
110 090)it is no use whatsoever.

At one point in the long discussions I was signed up for this bubble
crap. but still have not been able to get into it and check whether any
of the 240 messages they tell me are held as spam, are real or not.

I was quite happy with the old system, why did they have to F@#$k around
with it???.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano wrote:

> At least she opened a case number for me so I didn't have to explain
> everything again when I had to call on Monday morning.


I wonder if she's going to ... e-mail ... that to their central database so
it will be ready to be recalled for you Monday morning ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2007
In message <fam57v$ln1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bugalugs wrote:

> I was quite happy with the old system, why did they have to F@#$k around
> with it???.


Possibly because it was insecure.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiMAX in 2010: Too little, too late? How fast, how far, how much? Obaid MCSA 0 10-19-2009 12:12 PM
WiMAX in 2010: Too little, too late? How fast, how far, how much? Obaid MCAD 0 10-19-2009 12:12 PM
from the "Too Little Too Late" folks smackedass A+ Certification 1 06-20-2008 10:37 PM
1 little 2 little 3 little Kennedys dale Digital Photography 0 03-23-2008 01:03 PM
Is it too early - or is it too late. Knut Arvid Keilen Computer Support 1 02-25-2008 09:41 AM



Advertisments