Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Southern Cross Cable capacity to double

Southern Cross Cable capacity to double

Malcolm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4175695a13.html

The Southern Cross Cable that carries most telecommunications traffic
to and from New Zealand, Australia and the United States will be nearly
doubled in capacity to cope with a surge in demand for bandwidth from
video-hungry broadband users....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

Mutlley

Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.stuff.co.nz/4175695a13.html
>
>The Southern Cross Cable that carries most telecommunications traffic
>to and from New Zealand, Australia and the United States will be nearly
>doubled in capacity to cope with a surge in demand for bandwidth from
>video-hungry broadband users....

Really. Have I missed something here. When did IPTV startup here
with access to UK and US TV network content??

sam

Mutlley wrote:
> Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4175695a13.html
>>
>> The Southern Cross Cable that carries most telecommunications traffic
>> to and from New Zealand, Australia and the United States will be nearly
>> doubled in capacity to cope with a surge in demand for bandwidth from
>> video-hungry broadband users....

> Really. Have I missed something here. When did IPTV startup here
> with access to UK and US TV network content??

No, you just had a narrow preconception of what video hungry broadband
users means.
Youtube, p2p, Bittorrent, tv series as usenet binaries, video podcast
subscriptions etc all use bandwidth

peterwn

Malcolm wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4175695a13.html
>
> The Southern Cross Cable that carries most telecommunications traffic
> to and from New Zealand, Australia and the United States will be nearly
> doubled in capacity to cope with a surge in demand for bandwidth from
> video-hungry broadband users....

And to carry 'trumbone' traffic and traffic from NZ sites hosted
offshore thanks to the de-peering Balkanization by the major
telecommunication players.

Gordon

On 2007-08-23, sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mutlley wrote:
>> Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/4175695a13.html
>>>
>>> The Southern Cross Cable that carries most telecommunications traffic
>>> to and from New Zealand, Australia and the United States will be nearly
>>> doubled in capacity to cope with a surge in demand for bandwidth from
>>> video-hungry broadband users....

>> Really. Have I missed something here. When did IPTV startup here
>> with access to UK and US TV network content??

> No, you just had a narrow preconception of what video hungry broadband
> users means.
> Youtube, p2p, Bittorrent, tv series as usenet binaries, video podcast
> subscriptions etc all use bandwidth

Yes, so did you posting and as did mine.

Look at the roads, one car per person more offten than not.

I have no problem in how everyone else wishes to use the connection, as long
as they pay for the space they use