Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Where's my network neighbourhood gone?

Where's my network neighbourhood gone?

Jason Clinton

All of a sudden my laptop can't access the files on my PC through my
wireless network (and vice versa). I can still surf the net on either.

Setup is:

PC - connected to 3com wireless adsl modem through network cable

Laptop - connected wirelessly

Both running XP

Things were running fine and one day its not.

I've tried setting up the network again and I don't get any error
messages or anything.

What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
is no longer there in the Start menu.

Any ideas?

Nathan Mercer

On Aug 22, 9:08 pm, Jason Clinton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> All of a sudden my laptop can't access the files on my PC through my
> wireless network (and vice versa). I can still surf the net on either.
>
> Setup is:
>
> PC - connected to 3com wireless adsl modem through network cable
>
> Laptop - connected wirelessly
>
> Both running XP
>
> Things were running fine and one day its not.
>
> I've tried setting up the network again and I don't get any error
> messages or anything.
>
> What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
> is no longer there in the Start menu.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you know the name of the machine you want to connect to?

If you don't, go to that machine, and Start, Run, CMD, hostname
it will come back with a machine name

Go to the machine you want to connect from and go Start, Run, \
\machinename

If that doesn't work repeat the above but replace "hostname" with
ipconfig (from the CMD prompt, should reaply with a address like
192.168.0.10) and \\machinename with \\ip.address

Once you have connected, you should be able to drag the sharename from
the host you are connecting to, to your desktop of the machine you're
connect from, that will give you a shortcut so you don't have to jump
through all the above hoops everytime

Cheers
Nathan

Jason Clinton

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:39:38 -0700, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Aug 22, 9:08 pm, Jason Clinton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> All of a sudden my laptop can't access the files on my PC through my
>> wireless network (and vice versa). I can still surf the net on either.
>>
>> Setup is:
>>
>> PC - connected to 3com wireless adsl modem through network cable
>>
>> Laptop - connected wirelessly
>>
>> Both running XP
>>
>> Things were running fine and one day its not.
>>
>> I've tried setting up the network again and I don't get any error
>> messages or anything.
>>
>> What I have noticed is that on my PC the network neighbourhood option
>> is no longer there in the Start menu.
>>
>> Any ideas?

>Do you know the name of the machine you want to connect to?
>
>If you don't, go to that machine, and Start, Run, CMD, hostname
>it will come back with a machine name
>
>Go to the machine you want to connect from and go Start, Run, \
>\machinename
>
>If that doesn't work repeat the above but replace "hostname" with
>ipconfig (from the CMD prompt, should reaply with a address like
>192.168.0.10) and \\machinename with \\ip.address
>
>Once you have connected, you should be able to drag the sharename from
>the host you are connecting to, to your desktop of the machine you're
>connect from, that will give you a shortcut so you don't have to jump
>through all the above hoops everytime
>
>Cheers
>Nathan

Thanks for that. When I thought back I remembered I had installed
Nortons Internet Security 2007 around that time and found that I had
to add the router and each individual PC's IP address on a Trusted
list.

Everything works fine now.

God knows how a newbie who buys an off-the-shelf copy of NIS will
manage though.