Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet cafe - Online Banking

Internet cafe - Online Banking

peterwn

Greg House wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
>

> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?

Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

Greg House

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greg House wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
>>

>> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
>>

>Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
>banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
>browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
>fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <46cbba47$(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Greg House wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>
>> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
>> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
>>

>Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet
>banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
>browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
>fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

There are very few websites that don't work with a non ie browser. Banks are
no more or less likely to work (or not) than others I think

peterwn

Greg House wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Greg House wrote:
>>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:39:05 +0200 (CEST), Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This is New Zealand Not OZZ so why post here.?
>>>

>>> I thought that most Banks do not support Lunix...?
>>>

>> Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174http://ww...tml116a11.html
>> banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
>> browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
>> fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows systems.

> Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

I have not heard of Lunix. This is probably why the banks do not
support it and that it is very little used (but as far as I know it is
not used at all). I agree that Lunix is totally useless for the masses,
it is merely another piece of Micro$oft vapourware, and is but a figment
of the imagination in any case.

whoisthis

In article <fafm1o$toh$(E-Mail Removed)>, Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi all...Will be needing to use an internet cafe to do some online
> banking. Never been into one before cos of all the bad security stories.
>
> I'm assuming that I wander into the cafe, pay my money, plug my laptop
> into an RJ-45 and start surfing. My laptop runs Ubuntu Feisty and my
> browser is FF.
>
> Can someone give me pointers as to where the security risks are. The
> internet cafe will most likely be in Bondi Junction.
>
> Regards
> Miguel

You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
the risk.
They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
that may be on your computer.

Tony in Oz

"Greg House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > Only because Lunix
is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.

Troll alert....

Miguel

>On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
> the risk.
> They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
> that may be on your computer.

What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.

<snip>
Surfnet Internet Cafe
Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022

$2.50 p/h

MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
Laptop connection points
Job info, Maps etc.
</snip>

I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
what does it actually mean?

Regards
Miguel

whoisthis

In article <fagofg$h6a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
> >
> > You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
> > the risk.
> > They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
> > that may be on your computer.

> What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.
>
> <snip>
> Surfnet Internet Cafe
> Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
>
> $2.50 p/h
>
> MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
> Laptop connection points
> Job info, Maps etc.
> </snip>
>
> I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
> what does it actually mean?
>
> Regards
> Miguel

Then they may supply that, but I now just seek those that have wireless
networks so I know I can use my own computer.

Murray Symon

peterwn wrote:

> Greg House wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:23:42 +1200, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Who says? It is supposed to be internet banking, not Micro$oftnet

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4174http://ww...tml116a11.html
>>> banking. BNZ, Kiwibank and Macquarie (Oz) all work fine with the Gnome
>>> browser under Linux. And I bet there have been proportionately far
>>> fewer internet banking fraud cases on Linux systems than Windows
>>> systems.

>> Only because Lunix is very little Used, Totally useless for the masses.
>>

> I have not heard of Lunix. This is probably why the banks do not
> support it and that it is very little used (but as far as I know it is
> not used at all). I agree that Lunix is totally useless for the masses,
> it is merely another piece of Micro$oft vapourware, and is but a figment
> of the imagination in any case.

It exists, but not from Microsoft..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUnix
http://hld.c64.org/poldi/lunix/lunix.html

Murray

Shane

Miguel wrote:

>>On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:05 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>>
>> You can not use you own computer, you will need to use theirs, THAT is
>> the risk.
>> They do this in order to "protect" their network from any viruses etc
>> that may be on your computer.

> What's the "Laptop connection points" in the following.
>
> <snip>
> Surfnet Internet Cafe
> Level 1, 54 Spring Street, Bondi Junction, NSW 2022
>
> $2.50 p/h
>
> MS Word, Resumes, Typing, CD/DVD Burn. Movie Conversion.
> Laptop connection points
> Job info, Maps etc.
> </snip>
>
> I read that as meaning I can wander in with my laptop and connect it.
> what does it actually mean?
>
> Regards
> Miguel

To be absolutely sure I would recommend that you email them and find out.

As for your OP the banking sites are _supposed_ to be secure over a network,
and in theory MITM attacks are difficult if not impossible.
The only real risk is that the DNS of cafe _could_ trick you into visiting a
site that appears to be your intarweb banking and snatch your credentials.
A very very well made example of that would not be detectable.
Its your money, be as paranoid as you think is proper.
--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a