Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Speaking of VISTA ...

Speaking of VISTA ...

Donchano

Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
if so, how would I go about it?

XPD

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
> if so, how would I go about it?

Advisable ? Depends who you talk to

It should be easy enough to do long as there are XP drivers available for
the laptop.... check the Toshiba site.

To do it, one copy of XP, one key (preferably legit), boot off XP CD, format
drives, install (Assuming theres not already data on the drive they want
to keep, then back up first).

Cadae

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
> if so, how would I go about it?

Vista is usually fine - I have had only minor problems with my Vista. Its
added security could be a net benefit to your friend. Using the manufacturer
supplied O/S can make support a bit easier if you have problems with the
laptop.

I think the main consideration is compatibility of Vista with your friend's
primary applications. Not all XP apps are supported under Vista (but a lot
are being very quickly updated) - so check them carefully.

PC

Peter

Donchano wrote:
> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
> if so, how would I go about it?

Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really good
reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such reason, so it
might be best to stay with Vista.

Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably better
staying with whatever came on the laptop.

If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here, or
(better still) get them fixed under warranty.

HTH

Peter

thingy

Donchano wrote:
> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
> if so, how would I go about it?

If everything is working, I'd wonder why....the safest way is to buy
another harddrive and install XP on that and keep the old Vista one
boxed safely, that way if the hardware ever craps out you can replace it
as is and get it fixed...

The other possibility is something like partition magic, squash Vista's
partition and install XP in the freed up space....

regards

thing

Peter

thingy wrote:
> The other possibility is something like partition magic, squash Vista's
> partition and install XP in the freed up space....

Vista includes its own tool for resizing partitions, and it uses a different
form of NTFS. So, be careful resizing a Vista partition with anything
else. If Vista doesn't like it, it won't boot.

Easiest and safest approach might be to use the Vista resizing tool.

HTH

Peter

Geoff

Peter wrote:
> Donchano wrote:
>> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
>> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
>> if so, how would I go about it?

> Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really
> good reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such
> reason, so it might be best to stay with Vista.
>
> Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably
> better staying with whatever came on the laptop.
>
> If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here,
> or (better still) get them fixed under warranty.

Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.

I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as those
I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.

geoff

Jonathan Walker

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:53:23 +1200, Geoff wrote:

> I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
> top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as
> those I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.

Interesting that one needs to "downgrade" from the most recent iteration
of M$ Windows in order to get better performance.

Improvements should result in better performance, not poorer performance.

--
Jonathan Walker

Southern Kiwi

Geoff wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> Donchano wrote:
>>> Would it be advisable to replace the VISTA home edition that has come
>>> with a new Toshiba laptop (belonging to a friend) with XPpro ... and
>>> if so, how would I go about it?

>> Generally, this wouldn't be advisable, unless there is some really
>> good reason pushing you to change. You don't mention any such
>> reason, so it might be best to stay with Vista.
>>
>> Another answer; if you need to ask this question, you are probably
>> better staying with whatever came on the laptop.
>>
>> If you are having problems with the laptop, post those problems here,
>> or (better still) get them fixed under warranty.

> Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.
>
> I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
> top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such as those
> I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.
>
> geoff

Just "downgraded" last night and am happier already.

A couple of "gotchas"... back up under vista doesn't seem to be read by
xp, copying your profile folder doesn't work either (I can't find it on
the external HD to copy emails etc across)

Cheers
SK

Geoff

Southern Kiwi wrote:
..

>> Every new PC I've seen with Vista has been a slug.
>>
>> I wouldn't dream of 'upgrading' unless I could afford a well-equipped
>> top-spec PC. If I was unfortunate to own an average PC/Laptop such
>> as those I've seen, I would be sorely tempted to 'downgrade'.
>>
>> geoff
>>

> Just "downgraded" last night and am happier already.

Now go to the Start menu, and choose "Classic Windows" themes and you'll be
even happier !

geoff

I want to make English-speaking friend to practic my poor English IchBin Java 1 03-26-2006 05:36 AM
Speaking of forms... Frogleg HTML 2 07-24-2004 08:02 AM
OT: Speaking in Tongues Leo Wong Java 14 06-01-2004 09:27 PM
Choosing Item(s) from JList for speaking danielliuhh@hotmail.com Java 2 01-09-2004 07:57 PM

Advertisments