Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Block those evil Firefox users!

Block those evil Firefox users!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

They're just a bunch of Commies
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

whoisthis

In article <fa813h$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> They're just a bunch of Commies
> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

Huh, what has this to do with communism ?

Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.

So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
on both sides.

Gordon

On 2007-08-19, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <fa813h$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> They're just a bunch of Commies
>> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

> Huh, what has this to do with communism ?

Control, power and no doubt money.

> Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
> what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
>
> So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
> their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
> on both sides.

Indeed.

If I have to approach a website with a certain kind of browser, then I shall
turn away and be glad to be free.

thingy

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <fa813h$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> They're just a bunch of Commies
>> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

> Huh, what has this to do with communism ?
>
> Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
> what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
>
> So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
> their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
> on both sides.

yep....stupidity....but if they want to shoot themselves in the head, I
agree it is their business...I'd just go elsewhere....

regards

Thing

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2007-08-19, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <fa813h$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> >
> >> They're just a bunch of Commies
> >> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

> > Huh, what has this to do with communism ?
> >

> Control, power and no doubt money.
>

> > Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
> > what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
> >
> > So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
> > their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
> > on both sides.

> Indeed.
>
> If I have to approach a website with a certain kind of browser, then I shall
> turn away and be glad to be free.

exactly. Those companies who make their websites exclude my browser
simply loose my business. Likewise those site that use pop-ups and other
annoying revenue gatherers also loose my business. However they are
entitled to do exactly that, it is after all THEIR website, not mine.

thingy

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <fa813h$26c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> They're just a bunch of Commies
>> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

> Huh, what has this to do with communism ?

Many of the conservative right and in particular America consider (take
Forbes as a classic rag) Linux and OSS as destroying their share value.
It would seem that having shares in an "evil" monopoly like MS is OK as
long as you profit and others lose.....hence Firefox is "communism" its
free and its users tend to spend less....the trouble with this line of
thought is someone appears to have taken web hit statistics and either
applied faulty or blinkered logic to the data....

Their logic would seem to assume that if I switch back to IE7 I am more
likely to click on adds and spend money...that is a huge
assumption....reading it another way you could assume Firefox users are
more tech savvy and discerning purchasers of goods (ie the dont get
suckered as easily with crap)...so it maybe a question of offering
better "value" ie say if the web server detects its a Firefox user then
offer a better "deal" in the advert....

but then that would involve thinking....and these guys didnt get that
far in the first place....

> Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
> what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
>
> So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
> their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
> on both sides.

regards

thing

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
>> what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
>>
>> So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
>> their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
>> on both sides.

>Indeed.
>
>If I have to approach a website with a certain kind of browser, then I shall
>turn away and be glad to be free.

... add one step. Report their site as broken before ignoring them.
If they get enuff reports, they might reconsider

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>Their logic would seem to assume that if I switch back to IE7 I am more
>likely to click on adds and spend money...that is a huge
>assumption....reading it another way you could assume Firefox users are
>more tech savvy and discerning purchasers of goods (ie the dont get
>suckered as easily with crap)...so it maybe a question of offering
>better "value" ie say if the web server detects its a Firefox user then
>offer a better "deal" in the advert....
>
>but then that would involve thinking....and these guys didnt get that
>far in the first place....

... and what about the browsers that simply lie about what they are ?
Surely that would skew the stats ?

BrianM

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:02:00 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-08-19, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Huh, what has this to do with communism ?
>> >

>> Control, power and no doubt money.
>>

>> > Apart from that, we have users who believe they have the freedom to use
>> > what ever software they choose to use, fair enough.
>> >
>> > So why is it wrong for web hosts to choose which customers can visit
>> > their site ? Seems to me that there is no difference, freedom of choice
>> > on both sides.

>> Indeed.
>>
>> If I have to approach a website with a certain kind of browser, then I shall
>> turn away and be glad to be free.

> exactly. Those companies who make their websites exclude my browser
> simply loose my business. Likewise those site that use pop-ups and other
> annoying revenue gatherers also loose my business. However they are
> entitled to do exactly that, it is after all THEIR website, not mine.

It seems that some companies are moving from "This site is best viewed
with ....." to "This site can only be viewed with ..............."
In a tit-for-tat world, I could imagine those that deplore this kind
of discrimination might display "This site cannot be viewed with
.........."
If a business model is to reach the widest audience as
possible, then they are going in the wrong direction as browsers like
Firefox gain users.

cheers
brianM

Donchano

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:01:07 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> magnanimously proffered:

>They're just a bunch of Commies
><http://techdirt.com/articles/20070817/143014.shtml>.

I have a friend who used to be a web designer. He built his clients'
web sites to be compatible with IE, but not with Firefox because he
said Firefox would never be popular enough to justify it.

I'd have him on about this - especially when the Firefox browser users
visiting my website had grown from 2% to 7% all the way up to the
point where a quarter of all visitors were using Firefox.

But he wouldn't budge ... which is why he's a former webdesigner.