Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Enterprise deployments

Enterprise deployments

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Came across this reader comment
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:

Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
corporate disk image.

Is this guy right?

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Came across this reader comment
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
>
> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
> dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
> corporate disk image.
>
> Is this guy right?

Yes, they have someone that doesn't know how to install things properly
in a domain environment.

Don Hills

In article <46c6a372$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>Yes, they have someone that doesn't know how to install things properly
>in a domain environment.

That about sums it up.
There are a similar proportion of good people and clueless people in both
environments. The biggest difference that I see is that a greater proportion
of the clueless people in the Windows environment don't realise it.
Microsoft have done an admirable job in making training courses available to
make it easy, unfortunately this often leads to "2 weeks ago I couldn't
spell "MSCE" and now I are one." Linux people have fewer opportunities to
paper their walls / pad their CVs with qualifications, but they tend to have
a more realistic appreciation of their actual skill level.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Hills wrote:

> Microsoft have done an admirable job in making training courses
> available to make it easy, unfortunately this often leads to "2 weeks ago
> I couldn't spell "MSCE" and now I are one."

The fact that it's "MCSE" I'll take as part of your joke.

Don Hills

In article <fa6fbl$97b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>The fact that it's "MCSE" I'll take as part of your joke.

Slydexia rules, KO?

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Came across this reader comment
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
>
> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
> dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
> corporate disk image.
>
> Is this guy right?

No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it! So far as I
know, it is not easy to do that in Linux. Wish it was. And the Windows
people don't have a clue. There are several ways of making a package
available to all users that simply involve adding the package to a
distribution server and changing a GPO or similar. There are also third
party packages to do the same thing. Xenworks rings a bell.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

collector«NZ

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Came across this reader comment
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
>
> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
> dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
> corporate disk image.
>
> Is this guy right?

No the SOE refered to is being badly administered.

I would have created an OU in Add to load the package then made all
domain users members and viola next reboot they would (like the Linux
twerps) receive the package via SMS

Jonathan Walker

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:53:23 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it!

Sounds like some sort of script that is used to control a packaging
system. )

--
Jonathan Walker

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Came across this reader comment
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
>
> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me the
> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
> dependency list kept in a package named "standard-operating-environment"
> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that night. The
> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
> corporate disk image.
>
> Is this guy right?

Nope, can be pushed out over night....however few would do so without
testing first...

So their SOE re-build methodology though sounds perfectly OK...it may
well be more sound than a lazy Linux admin simply adding it into a
dependency file...

regards

Thing

thingy

Enkidu wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Came across this reader comment
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/triumph_of_linux/comments/>:
>>
>> Windows isn't ready for the enterprise. This was bought home to me
>> the
>> other day when I asked for a small utility to be added to both Linux
>> and Windows. The Linux people added the name of the package to a
>> dependency list kept in a package named
>> "standard-operating-environment"
>> and the package would be pulled onto every Linux machine that
>> night. The
>> Windows people queued my change to the next "SOE rebuild", a nine day
>> event were a poor sod runs almost 100 installers and re-creates the
>> corporate disk image.
>>
>> Is this guy right?
> >

> No. I don't know what the Linux solution was, but I want it! So far as I
> know, it is not easy to do that in Linux. Wish it was. And the Windows
> people don't have a clue. There are several ways of making a package
> available to all users that simply involve adding the package to a
> distribution server and changing a GPO or similar. There are also third
> party packages to do the same thing. Xenworks rings a bell.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

01 1 * * * apt-get update ; apt-get -y dist-upgrade

or variations thereof....ie each client runs a cronjob at a certain time
to go and patch....it could also easily download a script and run it as
well....

blah /bin/bash

up2date -i blah
up2date -i blah2
apt-get install blah4
yum install blah5
rpm -e blah-remove-buggered-blah-package
scp -P22 blah3 blah@blah ; rpm -i blah3
reboot

maybe have two files one a loop calling a straight dependency list....

not exactly rocket science...

Redhat has a satellite proxy service which at some point I will look at
should automate all of this, Altris probably achieves the same thing...

regards

Thing