Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting a custom built PC

Getting a custom built PC

John

I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

RL

John wrote:
> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
> excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
> come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
> which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
(www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as the
lowest-priced stores on Pricespy, but they do have physical stores, and
do provide service. Certainly they should be able to beat the price of
Ascent, as Ascent includes delivery in their prices. Remember, Ascent
lists GST-inclusive prices by default, most other stores are exclusing GST.

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1187235423.972286@ftpsrv1>, John wrote:

> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
> excluding the monitor.

I got both my Shuttle boxes through Recycled Technology
<http://www.recycledtechnology.co.nz/>. The first one they put together for
me, the second one I assembled myself. They've been very good with me
throughout.

They have shops in Hamilton and Rotorua.

Nik Coughlin

RL wrote:
> For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
> (www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
> 1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as
> the lowest-priced stores on Pricespy

True. But... recently my brother bought a $580 PC from PBTech, nothing
special but not a terrible machine either, an Athlon X2 3600, 1GB ram, 160gb
hdd, dvd re-writer, on-board nvidia gfx, cheapest case possible etc., no
keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS.

Every single component on the machine could be had for cheaper from someone
else on PriceSpy, however no single vendor on PriceSpy could match the price
of the whole system. I think we worked out that we could have build it for
about $75 less by buying each component from the cheapest vendor selling
that particular item, but the shipping costs of buying all parts seperately
far outweighed that $75ish saving.

Craig Sutton

>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

try pp.co.nz you even chat with them on icq

Sleuth

>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

Try Eden Computers - highly recommend. Been using their services for about 5
years or so.

http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx

Greg House

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:42:50 +1200, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

Also www.pp.co.nz good prices..

Greg House

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:30:09 +1200, RL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>> excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>> come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>> which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

>For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
>(www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
>1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as the
>lowest-priced stores on Pricespy, but they do have physical stores, and
>do provide service. Certainly they should be able to beat the price of
>Ascent, as Ascent includes delivery in their prices. Remember, Ascent
>lists GST-inclusive prices by default, most other stores are exclusing GST.
>
>RL

And also the Famous Quay Computers, been around longer than most, like also Ascent, Problem with PB
Tech is the prices are different from store to store..

E. Scrooge

>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

Keep rubbing your lucky rabbit's foot after whoever you choose to do the
job, and don't get built on a Friday in the North Island at least.

E. Scrooge

EMB

Sleuth wrote:
>> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
>> excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
>> come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
>> which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.
>>

> Try Eden Computers - highly recommend. Been using their services for about 5
> years or so.
>
> http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx

I'll never make another purchase from them after the warranty and
communication hassles I have had.