Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Daylight Savings change impact

NZ Daylight Savings change impact

Shane

lolinternet wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> UTC is not ambiguous. Because in Linux systems the offset to local time
>> is recomputed from UTC every time you ask for the time, there's no need
>> to remember whether you've changed to a different offset or not: you
>> simply determine what offset needs to be applied at the current UTC time.

> And on Sept 30th, after the rest of the country changes their clocks
> before popping their slippers off and clambering into bed - every Linux
> distribution (unless the maintainers have released an update, or users
> have manually changed their timezone data) will carry on thinking the
> offset is GMT+12 and display the WRONG LOCAL TIME for another week until
> their old definition of the NZDT period kicks in. Just like Windows, and
> Mac OS will.
>
> Thusly next year, they'll all revert from GMT+13 (or NZDT) back to
> GMT+12 two weeks early.
>
> This is the point you are missing, and what the OP is trying to counter,
> and as previously stated has 5/8 sod all to do with UTC being the base
> system time or not.
>
> I find this particularly ironic given your own thread on this not more
> than a few days ago.

Is there no end to the deceit these nyms are prepared to sow in nz.comp
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....f2a4974c18efc5
From the thread:

Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.

Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.

Ubuntu have releases pending.

Dapper already has it correct.
shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+49 days"
Fri Sep 28 20:31:50 NZST 2007
shane@laptop:~$ date -d "+51 days"
Sun Sep 30 21:31:58 NZDT 2007

I've just done dist-upgrade today on Ubuntu, so now 7.10 gutsy tribe
alpha 3 and daylight saving is correct.

as does Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
--
Q: What is clear and used by trendy sophisticated engineers to solve other
differential equations?

Kent Smith

Steve wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:31:28 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
>
>> By default the time sync service syncs from a DC unless you've told
>> it to go to a internal or external NNTP server. So in theory you
>> could just update your DC's. Test it though.
>>

>> -KENT

> <pedant>
> Don't think the newsgroup servers'll care much about your time (:
> </pedant>
>
> I know it's a trivial change on *nix, and would hope that it's the
> same for all operating systems - after all it changes twice a year
> anyway!

ooo - NTP

-KENT

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> NZ Daylight Savings change impact (start and end dates are different
> this year)
> Trying to identify if this is a big deal or not.... MS have several
> patches out there for updating OS's Exch, SQL etc (some are still
> being developed). Before I bother writing a script to run a registry
> change on hundreds of workstations, servers and laptops, what is the
> true exposure to issues if we do not patch everything?
>
> For example if we patched all servers but no end user XP platforms,
> will the workstations happily adjust via the time sych we have in the
> logon script? Or will we still have issues?
>
> Getting pressure from Execs to cover this one off soon, any comments?

There is some update info here...

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/msdn/timezone/default.mspx

--
Duncan

Geopelia

Do we really need all these patches and stuff? I can change the clock myself
on this computer. And if it doesn't work, won't it change itself on the old
date?

I don't think anyone I know will quibble about being an hour out for a week
or so.

Geopelia

Kent Smith

Geopelia wrote:
> Do we really need all these patches and stuff? I can change the clock
> myself on this computer. And if it doesn't work, won't it change
> itself on the old date?
>
> I don't think anyone I know will quibble about being an hour out for
> a week or so.
>
> Geopelia

The time is normally worked out as an offset from UTC/GMT. e.g GMT+12 for
NZST and GMT+13 for NZDT. The offset is based on the timezone and each
timezone has daylight savings rules. If the daylight savings rules are
incorrect, even if you change the time locally to make it correct, when it
next syncs with UTC, it'll change back again.

But yes, it'll become correct on the old dates.

You could set your timezone to Kiribati or something (GMT+13) perhaps.

-KENT

Mutlley

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Geopelia wrote:
>> Do we really need all these patches and stuff? I can change the clock
>> myself on this computer. And if it doesn't work, won't it change
>> itself on the old date?
>>
>> I don't think anyone I know will quibble about being an hour out for
>> a week or so.
>>
>> Geopelia

>The time is normally worked out as an offset from UTC/GMT. e.g GMT+12 for
>NZST and GMT+13 for NZDT. The offset is based on the timezone and each
>timezone has daylight savings rules. If the daylight savings rules are
>incorrect, even if you change the time locally to make it correct, when it
>next syncs with UTC, it'll change back again.
>
>But yes, it'll become correct on the old dates.
>
>You could set your timezone to Kiribati or something (GMT+13) perhaps.
>

>-KENT

I noticed on our Win XP 32 bits PCs at home and at work that the
daylight savings patch arrived today.. Nothing on the 64 Bit PCs or
the win2K PCs

Rhino

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:02:20 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I noticed on our Win XP 32 bits PCs at home and at work that the
>daylight savings patch arrived today.. Nothing on the 64 Bit PCs or
>the win2K PCs

According to the MS nz site, no patches are planned for win2k. XP SP2
and 2003server have had patches done on 28 August.

To update W2k, download tzedit (Timezone Editor) and update the DST
rules for NZ that way.
Cheers, Rhino

Geopelia

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fb7lrl$qpm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> Do we really need all these patches and stuff? I can change the clock
>> myself on this computer. And if it doesn't work, won't it change
>> itself on the old date?
>>
>> I don't think anyone I know will quibble about being an hour out for
>> a week or so.
>>
>> Geopelia

> The time is normally worked out as an offset from UTC/GMT. e.g GMT+12 for
> NZST and GMT+13 for NZDT. The offset is based on the timezone and each
> timezone has daylight savings rules. If the daylight savings rules are
> incorrect, even if you change the time locally to make it correct, when it
> next syncs with UTC, it'll change back again.
>
> But yes, it'll become correct on the old dates.
>
> You could set your timezone to Kiribati or something (GMT+13) perhaps.
>

> -KENT

Thank you, but that's a bit complicated for me. I'll just stay an hour slow
for the extra week, as I expect a lot of people will do too. Apart from
putting the wrong time on emails, what harm could it do?

Won't the government do something? There must be a lot of government
computers.

Geopelia

Kent Smith

Geopelia wrote:
> "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fb7lrl$qpm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> Do we really need all these patches and stuff? I can change the
>>> clock myself on this computer. And if it doesn't work, won't it
>>> change itself on the old date?
>>>
>>> I don't think anyone I know will quibble about being an hour out for
>>> a week or so.
>>>
>>> Geopelia

>> The time is normally worked out as an offset from UTC/GMT. e.g
>> GMT+12 for NZST and GMT+13 for NZDT. The offset is based on the
>> timezone and each timezone has daylight savings rules. If the
>> daylight savings rules are incorrect, even if you change the time
>> locally to make it correct, when it next syncs with UTC, it'll
>> change back again. But yes, it'll become correct on the old dates.
>>
>> You could set your timezone to Kiribati or something (GMT+13)
>> perhaps. -KENT

> Thank you, but that's a bit complicated for me. I'll just stay an
> hour slow for the extra week, as I expect a lot of people will do
> too. Apart from putting the wrong time on emails, what harm could it
> do?
> Won't the government do something? There must be a lot of government
> computers.

Biggest problem for home users will probably be if you rely on meeting
scheduling software for appointments / syncing your phones, etc. Yes,
little harm, you PC wont crash.

-KENT

Geopelia

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbf8gs$27qn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fb7lrl$qpm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The time is normally worked out as an offset from UTC/GMT. e.g
>>> GMT+12 for NZST and GMT+13 for NZDT. The offset is based on the
>>> timezone and each timezone has daylight savings rules. If the
>>> daylight savings rules are incorrect, even if you change the time
>>> locally to make it correct, when it next syncs with UTC, it'll
>>> change back again. But yes, it'll become correct on the old dates.
>>>
>>> You could set your timezone to Kiribati or something (GMT+13)
>>> perhaps. -KENT

>> Thank you, but that's a bit complicated for me. I'll just stay an
>> hour slow for the extra week, as I expect a lot of people will do
>> too. Apart from putting the wrong time on emails, what harm could it
>> do?
>> Won't the government do something? There must be a lot of government
>> computers.
>>

> Biggest problem for home users will probably be if you rely on meeting
> scheduling software for appointments / syncing your phones, etc. Yes,
> little harm, you PC wont crash.
>

> -KENT

Thanks, appointments won't worry us, and the car's clock is an hour wrong
for half the year anyway!

Geopelia