Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Odd OS X failure mode

Odd OS X failure mode

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> Hell, I have even used target mode so that I had one machine as a master
> disk (dual boot OSX/Windows) then used 3 instances of dd to clone the
> whole drive including boot partitions etc onto 3 other machines at the
> one time.

Ah, dd -- a standard tool which Linux systems had long before Macs. Though I
prefer to use rsync for a purpose like this, because it's more flexible and
robust.

> No need for a network switch, just some firewire cables.

Did you daisy-chain the machines one to another?

whoisthis

In article <fa2s2c$oo8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > Hell, I have even used target mode so that I had one machine as a master
> > disk (dual boot OSX/Windows) then used 3 instances of dd to clone the
> > whole drive including boot partitions etc onto 3 other machines at the
> > one time.

> Ah, dd -- a standard tool which Linux systems had long before Macs. Though I
> prefer to use rsync for a purpose like this, because it's more flexible and
> robust.
>
> > No need for a network switch, just some firewire cables.

> Did you daisy-chain the machines one to another?

yes, 5 machines, 1 OSX, 1 disk master, 3 clones.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <fa2s2c$oo8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hell, I have even used target mode so that I had one machine as a
>> > master disk (dual boot OSX/Windows) then used 3 instances of dd to
>> > clone the whole drive including boot partitions etc onto 3 other
>> > machines at the one time. No need for a network switch, just some
>> > firewire cables.

>> Did you daisy-chain the machines one to another?

> yes, 5 machines, 1 OSX, 1 disk master, 3 clones.

OK, clever trick.

Though I think I'd prefer to use Ethernet and a switch. Fewer points of
potential failure during the process...

whoisthis

In article <fa3afj$ift$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <fa2s2c$oo8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> >> Did you daisy-chain the machines one to another?

> > yes, 5 machines, 1 OSX, 1 disk master, 3 clones.

> OK, clever trick.
>
> Though I think I'd prefer to use Ethernet and a switch. Fewer points of
> potential failure during the process...

Huh, how do you figure that, either way you need 1 cable per computer,
however your way you then also need a working network and a switch.

I had no need for a network, no need to be able to set IPs, not need for
DHCP, etc etc. My way was MUCH easier.

Oh, and if you really want, you can also run TCPIP over firewire too

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <fa3afj$ift$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis
>> wrote:

>> > yes, 5 machines, 1 OSX, 1 disk master, 3 clones.

>> OK, clever trick.
>>
>> Though I think I'd prefer to use Ethernet and a switch. Fewer points of
>> potential failure during the process...

> Huh, how do you figure that, either way you need 1 cable per computer,
> however your way you then also need a working network and a switch.

With a daisy chain, any failure in the middle breaks the whole chain.

And what about the price of FireWire cables versus Cat6 ones? Even adding in
the price of a cheap switch...

> I had no need for a network, no need to be able to set IPs, not need for
> DHCP, etc etc. My way was MUCH easier.

Why did you need to mess with IP addresses and DHCP? I thought Apple was a
prime mover behind the Zeroconf effort (aka Rendezvous/Bonjour), which was
supposed to do away with the need for that sort of thing in situations such
as you describe.

> Oh, and if you really want, you can also run TCPIP over firewire too

Yeah, but it's not as fast as gigabit Ethernet, which comes as standard on
most PCs these days.

whoisthis

In article <fa3ok7$bu2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <fa3afj$ift$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> >> OK, clever trick.
> >>
> >> Though I think I'd prefer to use Ethernet and a switch. Fewer points of
> >> potential failure during the process...

> > Huh, how do you figure that, either way you need 1 cable per computer,
> > however your way you then also need a working network and a switch.

> With a daisy chain, any failure in the middle breaks the whole chain.

well having imaged well over 100 machines this way I have never had a
failure.

> And what about the price of FireWire cables versus Cat6 ones? Even adding in
> the price of a cheap switch...

Good quality cables for either are abut the same.

> > I had no need for a network, no need to be able to set IPs, not need for
> > DHCP, etc etc. My way was MUCH easier.

> Why did you need to mess with IP addresses and DHCP? I thought Apple was a
> prime mover behind the Zeroconf effort (aka Rendezvous/Bonjour), which was
> supposed to do away with the need for that sort of thing in situations such
> as you describe.

Yes, and you can netboot etc.

> > Oh, and if you really want, you can also run TCPIP over firewire too

> Yeah, but it's not as fast as gigabit Ethernet, which comes as standard on
> most PCs these days.

However I have far more flexibility with firewire and its quicker to get
going, no need to boot off a CD or anything else and it works extremely
well.

David Empson

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <1i2ytpg.1k079avekrhd7N%(E-Mail Removed)>, David Empson
> wrote:
>
> > I'm intrigued. I'd like to know (in broad terms) how you do would do
> > each of the following tasks, given two Linux computers with an Ethernet
> > connection.

[snipped details]

Thanks for the pointers. I'll investigate further once I have some spare
time. (Message saved.)

> > It could be related to the Mac's insistence on locking out the manual CD
> > eject button while the disc is mounted (or not having an eject button at
> > all).

> Actually, they all lock the eject button nowadays, it isn't just Macs.
>
> I always thought the old prevent-floppy-ejection-while-mounted feature was a
> wonderful idea, given the frequency with which users of other platforms
> would corrupt their floppies by ejecting them at the wrong time.

Yes, it makes a lot of sense for floppies or other writeable media.

It makes somewhat less sense for read-only CDs, but still avoids issues
with getting I/O errors when a CD is ejected while still in use, which
some applications might not handle very well.

--
David Empson

Jason Rumney

On 14 Aug, 07:48, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> I must admit I was amazed at your description of all those cryptic key
> combinations to get into single-user mode, verbose mode and so on. It seems
> so much simpler on a Linux system.

Having used a few Apple products, I'd expect nothing less. Ever had
an iPod crash? No reset button, no removable battery. There is a
secret button combination to reset it, but if you don't know it, all
you can do is leave it until the battery runs out to do a reboot. The
famed Apple UI really is optimised for the "just works" use case.

sam

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On 14 Aug, 07:48, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> I must admit I was amazed at your description of all those cryptic key
>> combinations to get into single-user mode, verbose mode and so on. It seems
>> so much simpler on a Linux system.

> Having used a few Apple products, I'd expect nothing less. Ever had
> an iPod crash? No reset button, no removable battery. There is a
> secret button combination to reset it, but if you don't know it, all
> you can do is leave it until the battery runs out to do a reboot. The
> famed Apple UI really is optimised for the "just works" use case.

It is in the manual though, and easy to find on their website.