Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > LLU effects begin to show

LLU effects begin to show

Shane

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/...457345&ref=rss
Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which includes
one gigabyte of free broadband.

In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a new
cut-price service.

The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.

__EOP__
My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
(physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this compettive
environment couldnt come at a better time.

--
"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
degrees and try again..."

thingy

Shane wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/...457345&ref=rss
> Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which includes
> one gigabyte of free broadband.
>
> In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a new
> cut-price service.
>
> The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
> packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
> Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
> competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.
>
> __EOP__
> My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
> (physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this compettive
> environment couldnt come at a better time.

I wonder if it will be that good for NZ overall.....Telecom makes a
profit....Vodafone and Clear....well not much if they are lucky....the
competition where there is competition will be cut throat, will there be
quality and depth of service? I wonder, I dont expect it.

In the centers, yes it maybe that some competition results and pricse
drop, for the rest of NZ it could actually get a lot worse. If no one
wants to compete in the smaller centers, the incumbent might start to
charge a lot more....

It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but
forcing a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over
the last 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by
moving away from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their
administration and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better
than telescum, (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a
friend of mine says...

As an example, electricity prices dropped when the elec network was
separated...and we paid less for a while, today? I am paying close to 3
times what I used to....hmm in fact I suspect its actually over 3
times...I forget standing charges....

regards

Thing

sam

thingy wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/...457345&ref=rss
>>
>> Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which
>> includes
>> one gigabyte of free broadband.
>>
>> In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has
>> a new
>> cut-price service.
>>
>> The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
>> packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
>> Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
>> competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.
>>
>> __EOP__
>> My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
>> (physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this
>> compettive
>> environment couldnt come at a better time.
>>

> I wonder if it will be that good for NZ overall.....Telecom makes a
> profit....Vodafone and Clear....well not much if they are lucky....the
> competition where there is competition will be cut throat, will there be
> quality and depth of service? I wonder, I dont expect it.
>
> In the centers, yes it maybe that some competition results and pricse
> drop, for the rest of NZ it could actually get a lot worse. If no one
> wants to compete in the smaller centers, the incumbent might start to
> charge a lot more....

There will always be regional operators that want to compete in smaller
centers, and higher per capita demand for communication services to
mitigate the isolation of regional customers.
Regional wireless isps already partner with national isps, and there is
really no difference servicing a wireless technology installation or a
regional adsl installation in an exchange.
A lot of rural adsl connections are supplied from Telecoms roadside
cabinet mini DSLAMs now though and it seems unlikely that the isps will
enter that market.

> It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but
> forcing a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over
> the last 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by
> moving away from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their
> administration and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better
> than telescum, (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a
> friend of mine says...
>
> As an example, electricity prices dropped when the elec network was
> separated...and we paid less for a while, today? I am paying close to 3
> times what I used to....hmm in fact I suspect its actually over 3
> times...I forget standing charges....
>
> regards

Sorry I just don't see the parallel between the introduction of a
generator to reseller market structure to enable the market to manage
energy supply and demand and the Telecom local loop being opened to
access seekers to provide their own adsl connections.
They have nothing in common

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:43:53 +1200, thingy wrote:

> It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but forcing
> a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over the last
> 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by moving away
> from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their administration
> and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better than telescum,
> (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a friend of mine
> says...

[Grin]

Telescum, Telstra Dear, and Ithug.

For getting the opposite of what you paid for - Expense, unreliability,
and inferior quality - pick any two. ;o)

--
Jonathan Walker

Mickey Mouse

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:f9noed$rtj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/...457345&ref=rss
> Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which
> includes
> one gigabyte of free broadband.
>
> In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a
> new
> cut-price service.

I'd be more interested in seeing the pricing on Naked DSL, that is due to
launch in September. The high price bundles may suit the phone warriors, but
others are just wanting a cut-price DSL service.