Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Researcher: Vista prevents users playing high-def content

Researcher: Vista prevents users playing high-def content

Greg House

"If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...content_1.html

Robert Cooze

Greg House wrote:
> "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
> Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
> user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
>

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...content_1.html

from the link
New Zealand's government, which has argued that digital rights
management fails to address the rights of people and government, appears
to be the only government worldwide to express public concern about
Vista's content protection standards, Gutmann said.

Year the only people aloud to screw NZers is the Government Not some
upstart company like Microsoft. The NZ Government plans on making us so
poor we cant afford Vista or the PC required to run it.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Greg House wrote:
> > "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done,"
> > Gutmann, from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving
> > a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the user and not
> > the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
> >

> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...laying-high-de
> > f-content_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/1
> > 0/Vista-prevents-playing-high-def-content_1.html

> from the link
> New Zealand's government, which has argued that digital rights
> management fails to address the rights of people and government, appears
> to be the only government worldwide to express public concern about
> Vista's content protection standards, Gutmann said.
>
> Year the only people aloud to screw NZers is the Government Not some
> upstart company like Microsoft. The NZ Government plans on making us so
> poor we cant afford Vista or the PC required to run it.

....and the nuts start coming out of the woodwork

Richard

Greg House wrote:
> "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
> Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
> user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
>

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...content_1.html

The title is misleading, playback of 1080p h264 content is perfect on a
friends vista machine.

Chris Lim

On Aug 11, 10:22 am, Greg House
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done," Gutmann, from the University of
> Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content protection. "Once the enemy is the
> user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...s-playing-high...

Here's another recent article about DRM: http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...-tentacles.ars

"Peter Gutmann, author of a well-known and fascinating paper
describing the tradeoffs of Microsoft's content protection system in
Windows Vista, is on the hunt again. Last year, his paper "Cost
Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection" painted a grim picture
of the lengths Microsoft went to in order to gain full compliance with
AACS, the next-gen copy control system for Blu-ray and HD DVD (and
they did go far). Now Gutmann is reiterating his claims but also
reportedly digging deep in his attacks on Microsoft. While Microsoft
deserves some of the blame, the bigger story here is the technical
nightmare created by AACS and how its tentacles are reaching into the
consumer technology we all use daily. It's a shame that this is
getting lost in the mix, but after discussing the issue with a
journalist this weekend, I decided to delve a little more into it
here."

Cadae

"Greg House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "If there was any threat modeling at all, it was really badly done,"
> Gutmann, from the University of
> Auckland, New Zealand, said while giving a talk on Vista content
> protection. "Once the enemy is the
> user and not the attacker, standard security thinking falls apart."

I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't have a
digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the sample
HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load on
my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

I think Peter should stop interviewing his typewriter and Linux boxes for
views about Vista, and instead actually start up and observe a Vista machine
running HD.

For an interesting commentary on Gutmann's claims, see
ZDNet - "Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming
debunked!"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673

PC

Chris Lim

On Aug 17, 1:27 am, "Cadae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
> last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't have a
> digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the sample
> HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
> resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load on
> my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

Could that be because the current movies don't implement HDCP though?
Or does Vista enforce the copy protection on all HD movies?

Cadae

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Aug 17, 1:27 am, "Cadae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have to disagree with Peter Gutmann about Vista, my experiences in the
>> last 6 months with Vista and high-def content have been fine. I don't
>> have a
>> digital high-def screen yet, but on my old analog high-def screen the
>> sample
>> HD clips that Microsoft and others provide run just fine, in full
>> resolution, and the decryption/security software was an insigificant load
>> on
>> my cpu (around 5% last time I looked).

> Could that be because the current movies don't implement HDCP though?
> Or does Vista enforce the copy protection on all HD movies?

Vista fires up its security programs when video is being played - I've seen
it running a few times.

HD content at present has the ICT flag turned off, and Hollywood has
apparently agreed to not use the ICT flag till at least 2012, so HDCP is a
non-issue for years to come (possibly not being a factor until after Vista
has been superseded!).

However, the claims being made by Gutmann et al are that Vista right now is
causing problems with the ICT flag and HDCP. This is simply untrue.

At best he may be able to support his claims for the post 2012 world, but to
do so, Gutmann needs to at least get Vista, some HDCP ICT flag-on content
and whirl it. Till he does it's all mere speculation, with the fan boyz on
both sides adding heat and noise but no light.

It is surpising that someone of Gutmann's standing would get so caught up
fan-boy style in mere speculation. I await real results on real machines
with real content. If anyone can point me to some ICT flag-on HD content,
I'm more than happy to try it on my own Vista machine.

PC