Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ daylight saving change

NZ daylight saving change

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier this
year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes were up
to date.

OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet. Nor
does Debian 4.0. Gentoo is up-to-date, as befits folks who like to live on
the bleeding edge.

You can test your system with the following command (adjust as appropriate,
depending on the date on which you read this):

date -d "+8 weeks"

Try changing the 8 to 7 or 9, and compare the difference: on the date of
this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.

If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f9gkl2$1au$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:

> OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
> Nor does Debian 4.0.

Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be uncommented;
then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it will automatically
place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo directory.

Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your /etc/localtime
file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if it's a symlink,
then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs to be
recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.

I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
> were up to date.
>
> OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
> Nor does Debian 4.0. Gentoo is up-to-date, as befits folks who like to
> live on the bleeding edge.
>
> You can test your system with the following command (adjust as
> appropriate, depending on the date on which you read this):
>
> date -d "+8 weeks"
>
> Try changing the 8 to 7 or 9, and compare the difference: on the date of
> this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
> your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.
>
> If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.

I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the old
DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for this.

Thanks for the head-up.

Allistar.

Allistar

Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
>> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
>> were up to date.
>>
>> OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
>> Nor does Debian 4.0. Gentoo is up-to-date, as befits folks who like to
>> live on the bleeding edge.
>>
>> You can test your system with the following command (adjust as
>> appropriate, depending on the date on which you read this):
>>
>> date -d "+8 weeks"
>>
>> Try changing the 8 to 7 or 9, and compare the difference: on the date of
>> this posting, for 8 and 9, it should show a time of day an hour ahead of
>> your current time, while for 7 it should show the same time of day.
>>
>> If it shows the same time of day for 8, then your system needs updating.

> I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
> old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
> this.
>
> Thanks for the head-up.

Nope - no update as of yet.

Allistar.

Steven Ellis

On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <f9gkl2$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:
>
> > OpenSuSE 10.2 doesn't seem to have any updated timezone package as yet.
> > Nor does Debian 4.0.

> Actually this is no big deal. It's easy enough to get updated zoneinfo
> sources from <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm> -- it's
> the "australasia" file we particularly want. For some reason the "Zone"
> lines for "NZ" and "NZ-CHAT" are commented out and need to be uncommented;
> then just compile that file with the zic utility, and it will automatically
> place the updated results in your /usr/share/zoneinfo directory.
>
> Whether you need to do anything more depends on whether your /etc/localtime
> file is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ, or a symlink; if it's a symlink,
> then there's nothing more to do. Otherwise the copy needs to be
> recopied--or just change it to a symlink while you're at it.
>
> I've just done this on a couple of SuSE 10.0 machines.

Redhat have released patches for enterpirse.

Debian has a release in volatile at the moment.

Ubuntu have releases pending.

Steve

Gordon

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:07:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> As you may or may not know, daylight saving is starting a week earlier
> this year, on September 30th. I was just wondering which people's OSes
> were up to date.

This is so interesting as ones clock can tell anytime current on this
planet and still be considered to be correct.

See UTC does not change, unless the sun and the earth move.

Also think about it. Noon is supposed to be when the sun reaches its
highest point. So under daylight saving we just say not so. Its all
relative eh?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>
>> I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
>> old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
>> this.
>>
>> Thanks for the head-up.

> Nope - no update as of yet.

That's odd. I'm on two Gentoo machines--a client one and my own one. The
former is a pretty old 32-bit installation, the latter is running 2006.1
AMD64. They're both up-to-date. What version are you running?

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
> wrote:
>
>> Allistar wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Gentoo (synced this morning) and it appears to be using the
>>> old DST values. I'm syncing now to see if it pulls down any updates for
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the head-up.

>> Nope - no update as of yet.

> That's odd. I'm on two Gentoo machines--a client one and my own one. The
> former is a pretty old 32-bit installation, the latter is running 2006.1
> AMD64. They're both up-to-date. What version are you running?

Mine is up to date (Gentoo doesn't really have versions as such).

I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

Allistar.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

Could you just check whether

emerge -vp sys-libs/timezone-data

reports anything to do? It could be that nothing else depends on
timezone-data as such.

Allistar

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
> wrote:
>
>> I did an "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge world" just today.

> Could you just check whether
>
> emerge -vp sys-libs/timezone-data
>
> reports anything to do? It could be that nothing else depends on
> timezone-data as such.

Heh. It did need updating, and after making /etc/localtime a symlink instead
of a copy it now reports the right time 8 weeks from now.

Thanks for the tip.

I would have thought that emerge -pvt world would report that timezone-data
needed upgrading, as it did.

Allistar.

How to convert a given local time to UT considering Daylight Saving Times.... Filip Lyncker C++ 3 04-05-2005 02:52 PM
Daylight saving Amitabh Deepak C++ 4 09-17-2004 12:38 PM
Daylight saving 2004-10-31 03:00 EEST/EET? NoName NoName Java 0 04-12-2004 07:21 PM
Daylight Saving time: How to identify if a given time is invalid? Pranav Kantawala Java 5 02-25-2004 06:28 PM
Converting datetimes from/to UTC/GMT including daylight saving Michael Pfeifer C++ 4 12-17-2003 09:18 PM

Advertisments