Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Backup Software

XP Backup Software

Greg House

A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..

What should he get

Norton's Ghost 12

Norton's Back & Restore

Macaronis

Or Paragon

From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..

What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.

Must not run in DOS mode..

These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find it..

Roger Dewhurst

"Greg House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
> external USB HD..
>
> What should he get
>
> Norton's Ghost 12
>
> Norton's Back & Restore

If you want backup for Norton you had better learn Urdu, Gujarati,
Malayalam, Tamil or several other languages from the sub-continent if you
seek an intelligent discussion of your problem.

EMB

Greg House wrote:

> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
>
> What should he get

Does he really need to back up system files? If not then try Syncback -
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
agreement
<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

Greg House

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:34:53 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greg House wrote:
>>

>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
>>
>> What should he get

>Does he really need to back up system files? If not then try Syncback -
>http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

Yes he want to backup XP as well as normal data files, and I need some first hand feed back or some
web sites with decent reviews or recommendations.

I have updated the list of brands.

Norton's Ghost 12

Norton Save & Restore 2.0

Acronis® True Image 9.1 Workstation

Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal

All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it seems..

Thanks..

Dave Taylor

Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
> seems..

Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is running,
that means using an open file manager and thank goodness for Windows XP and
forward for providing the PXE to let that happen. I don't know what your
opposition to some dos based system is, it is still going to have to be
documented...
IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move the
backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be really
handy!
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...s/May_13_2006/

--
Ciao, Dave

Ray Greene

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:51:12 +1200, Greg House
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
>
>What should he get
>
>Norton's Ghost 12
>
>Norton's Back & Restore
>
>Macaronis
>

>Or Paragon
>
>From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
>
>What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
>

>Must not run in DOS mode..

Image for Windows (www.terabyteunlimited.com) does disk images on the
fly. You can extract individual files from the image with their free
TBIView utility. It's simple and lightweight, a very nice app. I use
it to image our servers at work every night.

--
Ray Greene

Greg House

On 9 Aug 2007 20:55:47 +1200, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
>> seems..
>>

>Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is running,
>that means using an open file manager and thank goodness for Windows XP and
>forward for providing the PXE to let that happen. I don't know what your
>opposition to some dos based system is, it is still going to have to be
>documented...
>IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
>Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move the
>backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be really
>handy!
>http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...s/May_13_2006/

I can handle a Dos based backup system but I don't think friend can that needs it...

The backup will I think be going to a USB HD unless my friend changes his mind..

Greg House

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:34:53 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greg House wrote:
>>

>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a external USB HD..
>>
>> What should he get

>Does he really need to back up system files? If not then try Syncback -
>http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

Yes he want to backup XP as well as normal data files, and I need some first hand feed back or some
web sites with decent reviews or recommendations.

I have updated (No.2) the list of brands.

Norton's Ghost 12

Norton Save & Restore 2.0

Acronis® True Image 10 Home

Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal

All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it seems..

Thanks..

Nik Coughlin

Greg House wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2007 20:55:47 +1200, Dave Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> All the other ones that I have looked at can't do system backups it
>>> seems..
>>>

>> Although it is possible to do a system backup of a system that is
>> running, that means using an open file manager and thank goodness
>> for Windows XP and forward for providing the PXE to let that happen.
>> I don't know what your opposition to some dos based system is, it is
>> still going to have to be documented...
>> IMHO, don't use the norton stuff, stay symantec or something else.
>> Acronis is supposed to be very good and they have a method to move
>> the backup to a different platform. This costs extra but could be
>> really handy!
>> http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...s/May_13_2006/

> I can handle a Dos based backup system but I don't think friend can
> that needs it...
>
> The backup will I think be going to a USB HD unless my friend
> changes his mind..

Acronis isn't command line. It runs under Windows and you can also create a
bootable CD. The bootable version has a GUI and looks just like Windows XP
(even down to the appearance of title bars, buttons etc.)