Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Backup Software

XP Backup Software

Greg House

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:16:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
>>>agreement
>>><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

>> Not here it isn't..

>You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

Does not apply here..

Greg House

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:40:45 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
>> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Not here it isn't..

>> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

>Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
>agreement. Once again you appear to be wanking on about something you
>completely fail to understand.

We are Referring to a Backup of the Install OS not a Backup of the CD, Note MS licence
agreement is for the USA not here, many people have mentioned here that they have moved there OEM
copy to another PC and had it validated..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:16:24 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
>><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Not here it isn't..

>>You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

> Does not apply here..

If the licence agreement doesn't apply, then what gives you the right to use
the software?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Malcolm wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:34:27 +1200
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

>> > Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
>> > agreement.

>> Everyone but me seems to _think_ they have understood the licence
>> agreement. But when you read the actual words, they don't agree with
>> what everyone else but me keeps insisting they should be saying.

> But what about section 1.5?

Discussed here
<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7uts6$sib$(E-Mail Removed)>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:40:45 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

>>Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
>>agreement. Once again you appear to be wanking on about something you
>>completely fail to understand.

> We are Referring to a Backup of the Install OS not a Backup of the CD...

Not allowed either.

> Note MS licence agreement is for the USA not here ...

A licence agreement is valid wherever people agree to it.

> ... many people have mentioned here that
> they have moved there OEM copy to another PC and had it validated..

Which has nothing to do with the backup issue being discussed here.

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
>>> agreement. Once again you appear to be wanking on about something you
>>> completely fail to understand.

>> We are Referring to a Backup of the Install OS not a Backup of the CD...

> Not allowed either.

How does it feel to be the only person in the world that believes that?

If Microsoft doesn't allow you to make backups, why are there articles
such as this one on Microsoft's own Knowledge Base?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ls/backup.mspx

"While file restore is useful in cases of file loss and data corruption,
Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is most useful for disaster
recovery when your PC malfunctions. This feature helps you create
complete PC backups, and then in the event of a serious system issue or
data loss, Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore can restore your
entire PC environment, including the operating system, installed
programs, user settings, and data files".

If Microsoft doesn't want you to back up your system, why does it supply
a Backup utility?

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...ta/backup.mspx

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
>> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.
>>> We are Referring to a Backup of the Install OS not a Backup of the CD...

>> Not allowed either.
>>

> If Microsoft doesn't want you to back up your system, why does it supply
> a Backup utility?

So Microsoft's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing. So what
else is new?

Nik Coughlin

Greg House wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:50:15 +1200, "Nik Coughlin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Greg House wrote:
>>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
>>> external USB HD..

>> http://www.megaleecher.net/Free_Acronis_True_Image
>>

> This is a Total Joke...

How so?

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.
>>> Not allowed either.
>>>

>> If Microsoft doesn't want you to back up your system, why does it supply
>> a Backup utility?

> So Microsoft's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing. So what
> else is new?

Well now, we have a choice. Either Microsoft doesn't mind you backing up
the operating system, or you can take a really nit-picky hair splitting
view of what MS's EULA says and conclude that (contrary to most opinion)
that MS does not permit you to back up the software AND from that and
the fact that MS promotes backups all across its own site you conclude
that MS itself doesn't understand its own EULA.

William of Occam would have no trouble coming up with the correct answer.

Lawrence, you have a screw loose.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Greg House

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:46:35 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.
>>>>
>>> If Microsoft doesn't want you to back up your system, why does it supply
>>> a Backup utility?

>> So Microsoft's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing. So what
>> else is new?
> >

>Well now, we have a choice. Either Microsoft doesn't mind you backing up
>the operating system, or you can take a really nit-picky hair splitting
>view of what MS's EULA says and conclude that (contrary to most opinion)
>that MS does not permit you to back up the software AND from that and
>the fact that MS promotes backups all across its own site you conclude
>that MS itself doesn't understand its own EULA.
>
>William of Occam would have no trouble coming up with the correct answer.
>
>Lawrence, you have a screw loose.

He has more than that, he is a Lunix guy...