Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Backup Software

XP Backup Software

PeeCee

"Greg House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
> external USB HD..
>
> What should he get
>
> Norton's Ghost 12
>
> Norton's Back & Restore
>
> Macaronis
>

> Or Paragon
>
> From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
>
> What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
>

> Must not run in DOS mode..
>

> These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find
> it..

Greg

I have used Acronis TI thru to version 8 personal (or SE or whatever the
'lite' version is)
Successfully ran from XP and created boot disk & image disk.

Never used it to restore a corrupted/dead hard drive, but some practice runs
wouldn't restore with an earlier version but versions 7 & 8 worked just
fine.

I would comment that while image backups can be fine for a speedy recovery
of a downed system the negatives are:
The larger storage capacity required.
The time taken to do the image, which frequently runs into hours.
Productivity loss's because it pays not to have anything open while the
image is created = can't use PC
Image carries all the baggage flaws & detrius present at the last imaging.

A more practical restore strategy is to Image the drive with all the apps &
settings the user wants as standard while the PC is know to be running
clean.
Store this 'clean' image then set up a backup that collects all the 'data'
that the user creates from this point on.
eg My Documents, emails, addressbook, Favourites, Accounting data etc.

This means the daily (hourly, weakly, whatever) backup time and
inconvenience is greatly reduced so the backup is more likely to be done.
Restoration then is simply a case of using the 'clean' restore image and
copying the data back from the last data backup.
The advantages are:
The backup is a lot quicker
Backup is a lot smaller
If the last image is corrupt at least the data is safe and can be restored
once a normal OS/drivers/apps installation has been done.

As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is important
and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're 'to busy' to do.
If they're to busy to know where there data is then for sure they are to
busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is created.

Best
Paul.

Nik Coughlin

Greg House wrote:
> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
> external USB HD..

http://www.megaleecher.net/Free_Acronis_True_Image

Greg House

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:54:05 +1200, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Greg House" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
>> external USB HD..
>>
>> What should he get
>>
>> Norton's Ghost 12
>>
>> Norton's Back & Restore
>>
>> Macaronis
>>

>> Or Paragon
>>
>> From memory some of these will backup XP OS files on the fly..
>>
>> What is the easiest to use and the most reliable.
>>

>> Must not run in DOS mode..
>>

>> These was a article about this some time back but I can't seem to find
>> it..
>>

>Greg
>
>I have used Acronis TI thru to version 8 personal (or SE or whatever the
>'lite' version is)
>Successfully ran from XP and created boot disk & image disk.
>
>Never used it to restore a corrupted/dead hard drive, but some practice runs
>wouldn't restore with an earlier version but versions 7 & 8 worked just
>fine.
>
>I would comment that while image backups can be fine for a speedy recovery
>of a downed system the negatives are:
>The larger storage capacity required.
>The time taken to do the image, which frequently runs into hours.
>Productivity loss's because it pays not to have anything open while the
>image is created = can't use PC
>Image carries all the baggage flaws & detrius present at the last imaging.
>
>A more practical restore strategy is to Image the drive with all the apps &
>settings the user wants as standard while the PC is know to be running
>clean.
>Store this 'clean' image then set up a backup that collects all the 'data'
>that the user creates from this point on.
>eg My Documents, emails, addressbook, Favourites, Accounting data etc.
>
>This means the daily (hourly, weakly, whatever) backup time and
>inconvenience is greatly reduced so the backup is more likely to be done.
>Restoration then is simply a case of using the 'clean' restore image and
>copying the data back from the last data backup.
>The advantages are:
>The backup is a lot quicker
>Backup is a lot smaller
>If the last image is corrupt at least the data is safe and can be restored
>once a normal OS/drivers/apps installation has been done.
>
>As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is important
>and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're 'to busy' to do.
>If they're to busy to know where there data is then for sure they are to
>busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is created.
>
>Best
>Paul.

Thanks for your thoughts into this.

Yes I was thinking about this as well but it for some one that is very awkward when using a PC, so
also must be simple..

One of these programs I listed stated that it can do this in the background but that must only be
user data files I think...

Windows from memory is not on a Big partition and he has a 320g Freeagent USB drive.

But problem is that his Data is all over the place on 2 HD..

Greg House

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

>Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
>agreement
><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

Not here it isn't..

Greg House

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:50:15 +1200, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greg House wrote:
>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files and User Data files to a
>> external USB HD..

>http://www.megaleecher.net/Free_Acronis_True_Image

This is a Total Joke...

Malcolm J Lewis

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:25:45 +1200
> [...]

> >As a bonus this strategy forces the user to know just what data is
> >important and where it is, something a lot of users complain they're
> >'to busy' to do. If they're to busy to know where there data is then
> >for sure they are to busy to wait while an hour long 'image' is
> >created.
> >
> >Best
> >Paul.
> >

> Thanks for your thoughts into this.
>
> Yes I was thinking about this as well but it for some one that is
> very awkward when using a PC, so also must be simple..
>
> One of these programs I listed stated that it can do this in the
> background but that must only be user data files I think...
>
> Windows from memory is not on a Big partition and he has a 320g
> Freeagent USB drive.
>

> But problem is that his Data is all over the place on 2 HD..

Hi
This may be an overkill, but what about adding an additional drive
and then running a RAID 1 mirror. The other option would be an external
NAS some of which come with backup software.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
>><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> A friend needs to backup XP systems files...

>>Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
>>agreement
>><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

> Not here it isn't..

You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:06:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>> Note that backing up your XP installation is a violation of the licence
>>> agreement
>>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=f7sp40$1dn$(E-Mail Removed)>.

>> Not here it isn't..

> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
agreement. Once again you appear to be wanking on about something you
completely fail to understand.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Greg House
>> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Not here it isn't..

>> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

> Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
> agreement.

Everyone but me seems to _think_ they have understood the licence agreement.
But when you read the actual words, they don't agree with what everyone
else but me keeps insisting they should be saying.

Malcolm

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:34:27 +1200
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> >> You _did_ read the licence agreement, didn't you?

> > Everyone except you appears to have read and understood the licence
> > agreement.

> Everyone but me seems to _think_ they have understood the licence
> agreement. But when you read the actual words, they don't agree with
> what everyone else but me keeps insisting they should be saying.

Hi
But what about section 1.5? Besides, I would be more interested in the
fact that now quad devices are about, you can't run XP on them.... EULA
states no more than 2 processors used at any one time

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)