Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lenovo to offer Linux on laptops

Lenovo to offer Linux on laptops

Mutlley

Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start
selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on
the machines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/6933859.stm

Bet they won't be any cheaper..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutlley wrote:

> Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start
> selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on
> the machines.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/6933859.stm
>
> Bet they won't be any cheaper..

Still, Dell has set the precedent with its USD50 price difference. Lenovo
will look like money-grubbing scrooges if they don't answer that.

Gordon

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:53:37 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutlley wrote:
>
>> Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start
>> selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on
>> the machines.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/6933859.stm
>>
>> Bet they won't be any cheaper..

> Still, Dell has set the precedent with its USD50 price difference.
> Lenovo will look like money-grubbing scrooges if they don't answer that.

Ms Penguin has just come in and is delighted at this news. Now, in a
commerical area, Dell and Lenovo (IBM in disguise) are about to go head
to head.

BTW, Linux (OSS) is not free as in beer, but as in speech. My next laptop
will have nothing or Linux installed on it. Getting rid of MS OS takes
time and effort.