Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For those interested in mobile devices - Nokia 770

For those interested in mobile devices - Nokia 770

-=rjh=-

Just in case some here hadn't heard...

Recently Nokia seemed to have dumped their stock of superseded 770
Internet Tablets on the market, instead of shredding them and turning
them into landfill. (The current model is the much improved 800).

Expansys HK had the 770s in stock a few weeks ago so I ordered a couple
which arrived while I was away so I didn't get to play with them until
yesterday. At the price, just absolutely awesome value, especially as
these aren't available in Asia/Pacific.

I paid HK$2180 for two delivered, which is about NZ$175 each! These were
around $800 which made owning one (for me, anyway) pretty hard to justify.

Browser is a little flaky (crashes often) and is also limited by the
small screen, but everything else looks good - the extra screen space
makes it better than my T3 for reading ebooks, displaying photos, video
etc. Even does a good job of playing internet radio through the stereo.
Plays my LAN streams and controls Slimserver just fine.

The screen is just stunning, and the hardware seems quite well thought
out. I notice they even have the latest firmware installed. The
interface isn't too bad once you get used to it, most of the buttons
have several modes and full screen is very useful. I think Nokia did a
really good job considering this was the first such device they'd ever
made. Maemo is quite a well designed interface given the screen size but
the handwriting recognition isn't as good as Palm or PPC. The fact that
this is running Linux is totally hidden from the user, and nor should
they ever need to know.

Uses standard Nokia phone batteries. Battery life is OK - a little over
3 hours continuous use.

There are quite a lot of resources on the net detailing how to hack them
to enable the USB controller (normal mode is slave) which allows
keyboards, mice, external drives etc to be attached which would make
them a lot more useful, and I'm just starting to locate 3rd party
software for them.

Expansys are now completely out of stock, though there are still some at
other retailers and on ebay (in fact, a couple of hundred listings last
time I looked). If you're interested in this kind of gear, it is well
worth the effort to locate one at this price.

Jason Fanning

-=rjh=- wrote:

> I paid HK$2180 for two delivered, which is about NZ$175 each! These were
> around $800 which made owning one (for me, anyway) pretty hard to justify.
>
> Browser is a little flaky (crashes often) and is also limited by the
> small screen, but everything else looks good - the extra screen space
> makes it better than my T3 for reading ebooks, displaying photos, video
> etc. Even does a good job of playing internet radio through the stereo.
> Plays my LAN streams and controls Slimserver just fine.

That's a pretty good price, they were selling them in Europe for around
125.