Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IPv6 transition troubles

IPv6 transition troubles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

As the world runs out of IPv4 addresses, everybody's still arguing over the
best way to transition to IPv6
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070802-ipv4-is-a-democracy-ipv6-may-get-deadlines.html>.
Should we allow people to buy and sell IPv4 addresses?

peterwn

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> As the world runs out of IPv4 addresses, everybody's still arguing over the
> best way to transition to IPv6
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070802-ipv4-is-a-democracy-ipv6-may-get-deadlines.html>.
> Should we allow people to buy and sell IPv4 addresses?

One problem is that early on, some large groups got top level
allocations meaning they are 'sitting' on large ranges of IP addresses
they will never use.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <46b3f880$(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> As the world runs out of IPv4 addresses, everybody's still arguing over
>> the best way to transition to IPv6

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070802-ipv4-is-a-democracy-ipv6-may-get-deadlines.html>.
>> Should we allow people to buy and sell IPv4 addresses?

> One problem is that early on, some large groups got top level
> allocations meaning they are 'sitting' on large ranges of IP addresses
> they will never use.

Apparently the US has about 5 IPv4 addresses per head of population.