Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > mail server for win32

mail server for win32

EMB

XPD wrote:
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f91elu$o79$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
>> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
>> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

> Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
> require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
> Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
> because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
> them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
> throwing in an add on to confuse them even more
> With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

You could always set up an IPCop firewall running copfilter which gives
you transparent spam/virus filtering of all mail traffic.

http://www.ipcop.org
http://www.copfilter.org

Enkidu

XPD wrote:
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f91elu$o79$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
>> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
>> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

> Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
> require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
> Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
> because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
> them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
> throwing in an add on to confuse them even more
> With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
will be in a blacklisted range.

Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

EMB

Enkidu wrote:

> You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
> mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
> mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
> you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
> range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
> address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
> people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
> non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
> will be in a blacklisted range.

Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.

Peter Huebner

> You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
> mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
> mailserver.

That's what you get around by using the smtp-relay client with Mercury; it just
forwards all the local mail to the 'official' ISP server. Yepp, that's one wall
I've beaten my head against in the past ...

-P.

RL

Enkidu wrote:
> Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

You think ISPs give a **** about your mail?

ISPs are amongst the worst of the lot. Orcon does some seriously
RFC-violating **** to stop spam, blocking a lot of legitimate mail as well.

There should be a law against damaging the integrity of electronic
communication systems, it would solve more problems than our half-arsed
anti-spam law does.

- RL

Steve

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:55:34 +1200, XPD wrote:

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f91elu$o79$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Why do you want a mail server??? Surely all you want is a mail client to
>> pick up your mail from mailboxes they've already been delivered to? Why
>> not try mailwasher from www.firetrust.com - a good kiwi product.

> Because 99% of so called anti-spam programs are either buggy as hell, or
> require manual interaction to actually get rid of the spam (which is what
> Mailwasher did last time I used it - Ill take another look tho.). Also
> because I have multiple users accessing those accounts as well and getting
> them to understand how to use email software is tough enough without
> throwing in an add on to confuse them even more
> With a mail server, it can take advantage of RBL lists etc......

....like mailwasher does?

Steve

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 23:02:16 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
> mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
> mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
> you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
> range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
> address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
> people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
> non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your IP
> will be in a blacklisted range.
>
> Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Errr... is that why you use your isp's smarthost to send mail? That's what
you do to stop your mail client from being blacklisted, so you just do the
same with the server.

Enkidu

EMB wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> You'll also have the problem of not having the rDNS set up, which will
>> mean that several of the big email providers will not touch your
>> mailserver. You'll also find that other mail providers will not touch
>> you because your mailserver IP will be in a dial up or ADSL address
>> range and yet others will dump you because they will think that your
>> address belongs in Korea or somewhere. And you will get problems with
>> people who greylist you then not accept you retries because of the
>> non-standard rules that they decide to apply. And you find that your
>> IP will be in a blacklisted range.
>>

> Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
> outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.

Providing your ISP is willing to relay for you.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Enkidu

RL wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Why not let your ISP worry about things like that? It's their job.

> You think ISPs give a **** about your mail?

Yes.

> ISPs are amongst the worst of the lot. Orcon does some seriously
> RFC-violating **** to stop spam, blocking a lot of legitimate mail as well.
>
> There should be a law against damaging the integrity of electronic
> communication systems, it would solve more problems than our half-arsed
> anti-spam law does.

What is it that Orcon do?

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <46b50271$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:

> EMB wrote:
>
>> Most mailserver software has the ability to use SMTP-AUTH to relay
>> outgoing mail via the ISP's mail server which overcomes that problem.
> >

> Providing your ISP is willing to relay for you.

They already do, as part of the e-mail service they provide for you.