Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony Recalls 416,000 Digital Cameras

Sony Recalls 416,000 Digital Cameras

Greg House

Yes the DSC-T5

"The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
September 2005 "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

ants.bull@xtra.co.nz

On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
<(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Yes the DSC-T5
>
> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
> September 2005 "
>
> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

John B

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Yes the DSC-T5
>>
>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in
>> the United States, Europe and China,
>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said.
>> Sony Corp. first learned of the
>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the
>> model first went on the market in
>> September 2005 "
>>
>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
> of
> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
> with
> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
> usually
> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

Matty F

Greg House wrote:
> Yes the DSC-T5

> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

So there may be a sharp edge on the bottom of the camera that may cut
people.
Thta's easily fixed. It's not as if the camera stopped working.
My older Sony digital is working fine. I chose it from 334 cameras.

Allistar

John B wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
>> <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Yes the DSC-T5
>>>
>>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in
>>> the United States, Europe and China,
>>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said.
>>> Sony Corp. first learned of the
>>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the
>>> model first went on the market in
>>> September 2005 "
>>>
>>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

>> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
>> of
>> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
>> with
>> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
>> usually
>> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.
>
> I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
> software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

Their DRM tactics (i.e. how they released CD's with rootkits on them) has
shied me away from ever using any of their products again. Regardless of
the quality of them. Any company willing to spit on customers like that
does not deserve my custom.

Allistar.

Barry Lennox

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:52:26 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John B wrote:
>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>>> I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware
>>> of
>>> their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board
>>> with
>>> their electronics products. The worse part is that they
>>> usually
>>> charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

>> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.
>>
>> I use heaps of their products (cameras, video cams etc) and
>> software, like Vegas, and have had no problems.

>Their DRM tactics (i.e. how they released CD's with rootkits on them) has
>shied me away from ever using any of their products again. Regardless of
>the quality of them. Any company willing to spit on customers like that
>does not deserve my custom.
>
>Allistar.

Agreed,

After their disgraceful behaviour over the rootkit affair, they are
forever off my list. The rootkit was bad enough, but what was orders
of magnitude worse was their absolutely ****ing unbelievable attitude
to complaints about it.

Then we may want to consider the dork (Gladding) that was running Sony
NZ, he's donkey deep with the RIANZ pushing anti-piracy campaigns and
ever stricter copyright laws, yet has a quid each way by selling
hardware that allows one to do it. Even their in-house magazine
"Pulse" proudly states that you can move CD and LP content to their
MP3 players, despite it being illegal.

And he is forever sulking and refuses to answer emails over this.

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) exclaimed:

>On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Yes the DSC-T5
>>
>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
>> September 2005 "
>>
>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

>I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
>their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
>their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
>charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

Nah, *******s.

Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
lappies.

The big problem is their support is total ****. I'd never buy another
Sony product just because they're such ****tards to deal with. Oh, and
the rootkit fiasco.

Greg House

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:24:12 +1200, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) exclaimed:
>
>>On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
>><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Yes the DSC-T5
>>>
>>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
>>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
>>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
>>> September 2005 "
>>>
>>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

>>I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
>>their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
>>their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
>>charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

>Nah, *******s.
>
>Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
>lappies.
>
>The big problem is their support is total ****. I'd never buy another
>Sony product just because they're such ****tards to deal with. Oh, and
>the rootkit fiasco.

And don't forget the CCD fiasco, stacks of cameras that Used Sony CCD's have problems with the glue
that was used, it absorbed moister casing the CCD to fail..

This affected many brands of Cameras, But no recall.

Greg House

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:24:12 +1200, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:38:28 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) exclaimed:
>
>>On Aug 3, 11:08 am, Greg House
>><(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Yes the DSC-T5
>>>
>>> "The recall affects 350,000 Cyber Shot DSC-T5 cameras sold in the United States, Europe and China,
>>> about 66,000 sold in Japan,Sony spokeswoman Ryoko Takagi said. Sony Corp. first learned of the
>>> problem affecting DSC-T5 cameras about one month after the model first went on the market in
>>> September 2005 "
>>>
>>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5023030.html

>>I'm not surprised - anyone buying SONY products should be aware of
>>their poor quality and the rates of failure across the board with
>>their electronics products. The worse part is that they usually
>>charge more than their competitors for sub-standard products.

>Nah, *******s.
>
>Sony gear is generally top notch, especially their computers and
>lappies.
>
>The big problem is their support is total ****. I'd never buy another
>Sony product just because they're such ****tards to deal with. Oh, and
>the rootkit fiasco.

Plus the Sony batteries, it seems to go on and on.

Jonathan Walker

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:48:52 +1200, John B wrote:

> Load of bull. Sony products are amongst the best.

Heh heh.

Not been that way for quite some time now. Sony is very much trading on a
reputation that it no longer deserves. (

--
Jonathan Walker