Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Skype

Skype

Roger Dewhurst

What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

XPD

"Roger Dewhurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f8tihu$rgl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

Skype dosent use the phone line......
All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.

If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
landlines (at a cost).

sam

Roger Dewhurst wrote:
> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

classic

-Newsman-

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Roger Dewhurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:f8tihu$rgl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
>> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

>Skype dosent use the phone line......
>All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
>Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.
>
>If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
>check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
>landlines (at a cost).

Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.

How the telcos must love this new technology!

-Newsman-

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:10:12 +1200, sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my computer
>> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

>classic

Well, the dear fellow knows all there is to know about climate change
and global warming, so he must have something going for him!

Rob S

sam wrote:

> classic

*plonk*
--

Rob
http://www.aspir8or.com

Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he
thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Roger Dewhurst

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f8tior$rul$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Roger Dewhurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f8tihu$rgl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my
>> computer to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

> Skype dosent use the phone line......
> All you need to do is plug in a mic and speakers (or headset) and run
> Skype - thats it. Mic input on most sound cards is pink/red.
>
> If you mean to use Skype for making landline calls, then do the above and
> check the skype site for their SkypeOut service which allows you to call
> landlines (at a cost).

Thanks. I was expecting some suggestions on the software which enables the
microphone and speakers installed with the computer to be used in place of a
telephone handset. I assumed that the Skype software would make use of the
software that converts the computer into a telephone. Perhaps I did not ask
quite the right question.

The computer is, of course, already connected to the telephone line for
dialup purposes but Skype will not work without the broadband which I expect
to get in a week or so.

Roger Dewhurst

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

That crossed my mind. How long can it last before the telcos **** on it?

Roger Dewhurst

"-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:10:12 +1200, sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Roger Dewhurst wrote:
>>> What do I need in order connect the microphone and speakers of my
>>> computer
>>> to the telephone line in order to be able to use Skype?

>>classic

> Well, the dear fellow knows all there is to know about climate change
> and global warming, so he must have something going for him!

It is nice to get credit for knowing something about something even if it is
not about the intricacies of hooking up with Skype.

Allistar

Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> "-Newsman-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:37:28 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Skype seems to know few limits. Have just found I've been able to
>> leave a voicemail message on my Dubai friend's Skype phone.
>>
>> How the telcos must love this new technology!

> That crossed my mind. How long can it last before the telcos **** on it?

I suspect they do already. Why do you think there's such a low upload
bandwidth on most home plans?

Allistar.