Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > a Vista experience

Reply
Thread Tools

a Vista experience

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2007

So now we have Vista on our PCs at work. Perhaps the most noticeable
feature is that it is so slow. Apps definitely take significantly longer
to open.

A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer (to go
up to the parent directory). I never really noticed this in earlier
versions, and wasn't conscious of how much I used it. Now that there there
is no up arrow, it is really annoying. It it not something you use very
often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there is
no up arrow.



Peter



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>
>So now we have Vista on our PCs at work. Perhaps the most noticeable
>feature is that it is so slow. Apps definitely take significantly longer
>to open.


That's interesting. With Aero turned off, we've found it much of a
muchness.

>A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer (to go
>up to the parent directory). I never really noticed this in earlier
>versions, and wasn't conscious of how much I used it. Now that there there
>is no up arrow, it is really annoying. It it not something you use very
>often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there is
>no up arrow.


That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now - you
actually just click the folder in the address bar to go back one, or
several, folders. Once you've got the hang of it it really is much
better. In fact, now I find it annoying switching back to XP!

So, if you were in:

c:\onefolder\twofolder

It would show as

[drv] -> Computer -> PartName (c:\) -> onefolder -> twofolder

If you wanted to go to "onefolder", you just click on it.
If you want to go back to c:\, you just click the drive name (c:\)
And if you want to go to "[My] Computer", you just click "Computer"

Honestly, once you're used to it you'll love it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Allistar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>
>>So now we have Vista on our PCs at work. Perhaps the most noticeable
>>feature is that it is so slow. Apps definitely take significantly longer
>>to open.

>
> That's interesting. With Aero turned off, we've found it much of a
> muchness.
>
>>A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer (to
>>go
>>up to the parent directory). I never really noticed this in earlier
>>versions, and wasn't conscious of how much I used it. Now that there
>>there
>>is no up arrow, it is really annoying. It it not something you use very
>>often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there
>>is no up arrow.

>
> That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
> it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now - you
> actually just click the folder in the address bar to go back one, or
> several, folders. Once you've got the hang of it it really is much
> better. In fact, now I find it annoying switching back to XP!
>
> So, if you were in:
>
> c:\onefolder\twofolder
>
> It would show as
>
> [drv] -> Computer -> PartName (c:\) -> onefolder -> twofolder
>
> If you wanted to go to "onefolder", you just click on it.
> If you want to go back to c:\, you just click the drive name (c:\)
> And if you want to go to "[My] Computer", you just click "Computer"
>
> Honestly, once you're used to it you'll love it.


Sounds like what you have been able to do in GTK2 apps for ages. I agree it
is a good idea. I think KDE4 is bringing this in to their new Dolphin file
browser (but I could be wrong).

Allistar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2007
Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer

>
> That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
> it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now


Yes, I've tried that, but the functionality isn't that much different to the
folders panel on the left.
It turns out that there is a keyboard short cut; alt - up button.


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My experience with Windows Vista, in n simple steps Au79 Computer Support 1 10-10-2007 11:39 PM
Vista codec packages for Vista 32 & vista 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 0 03-05-2007 05:48 PM
Vista Home v Vista Ultimate John Computer Information 4 02-15-2007 10:02 PM
x64-to-Vista: Will clean-install Vista "upgrade" invalidate x64 license? DP Windows 64bit 11 07-22-2006 11:00 PM
Is there a person who I experience absurd event that experience? PS2 gamer Cisco 4 06-01-2004 07:52 PM



Advertisments