Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Amiga history

Amiga history

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
<http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1.ars>.

My verdict (as a complete Mac fanatic at the time): the Amiga had innovative
hardware, but lousy software. While the Mac had great software, though the
hardware of the early models (circa 1985) was pathetic.

The result was that one went to the wall, while the other went from strength
to strength. A point which not many people appreciated around that time was
that hardware would come and go, while software would keep running on and
on. Later Amiga models tried to introduce newer hardware, but the platform
found itself stymied by the need to remain compatible with older software
(display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
to run a lot of the older software.

Peter Huebner

In article <f8s7ju$eca$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)_zealand
says...

> My verdict (as a complete Mac fanatic at the time): the Amiga had innovative
> hardware, but lousy software. While the Mac had great software, though the
> hardware of the early models (circa 1985) was pathetic.
>
> The result was that one went to the wall, while the other went from strength
> to strength. A point which not many people appreciated around that time was
> that hardware would come and go, while software would keep running on and
> on. Later Amiga models tried to introduce newer hardware, but the platform
> found itself stymied by the need to remain compatible with older software
> (display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
> completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
> to run a lot of the older software.

There are completely different views on this. For example: Commodore Business
Machines didn't move in the right direction. After the C 2000 which was
basically a PC style computer with expansinon cards (you could even plug in pc
cards and bridge between the pc side and the Amiga side) they came out with the
1200 which had no expansion options worthy of the name. And the 4000 that was
so overpriced that nobody could afford it. To top it all off, they then sunk a
lot of money into developing a console, unfortunately they did so before
anybody else, and the time wasn't right, nobody wanted a console. Then they
became insolvent, largely due to entirely unrelated issues, end of story.

If they'd had more vision and developed the A2000 further, and held off on that
console thingy, Amigas might still be a force today. Who knows. Ataris aren't,
either.

-P.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
wrote:

> If they'd had more vision and developed the A2000 further, and held off on
> that console thingy, Amigas might still be a force today. Who knows.
> Ataris aren't, either.

The Atari ST machines had a niche for a while as a low-cost music-production
system, because of their built-in MIDI interface.

Anyway, one Amiga-originated idea that I still think about these days is IFF
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-spec16/?ca=dgr-lnxw07IFF>.
The writer of that article doesn't seem to think XML is much of an
improvement.

Robert Cooze

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Part 1 of a new series at Ars Technica:
> <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-1.ars>.
>
> My verdict (as a complete Mac fanatic at the time): the Amiga had innovative
> hardware, but lousy software. While the Mac had great software, though the
> hardware of the early models (circa 1985) was pathetic.
>
> The result was that one went to the wall, while the other went from strength
> to strength. A point which not many people appreciated around that time was
> that hardware would come and go, while software would keep running on and
> on. Later Amiga models tried to introduce newer hardware, but the platform
> found itself stymied by the need to remain compatible with older software
> (display mode resolutions etc). Whereas the Mac hardware was able to change
> completely over the subsequent years, while still maintaining the ability
> to run a lot of the older software.

Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter
in my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections
can apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. Nice Link...

XPD

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46b7726f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
> use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
> and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
> worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter in
> my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections can
> apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. Nice Link...

Yeah I was using mine daily until 98/99 when the A530 unit packed up
Still have the 120mb SCSI drive from it in front of me right now, going to
plug it in and hopefully get the data off it - all my BBS stuff is on it
along with mods etc...

Craig Sutton

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f9844q$oa5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46b7726f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting Blast from the Past. I Sold my Amiga In 1998 It was in daily
>> use till then. I still miss the thing, it was a A1200 with 8Mb extra ram
>> and a 850Mb Hard drive. Amiga did the fast user interface and it just
>> worked. I know From today's standards It may seem outdated. It is beter
>> in my memory than having one in front of me, That way my recolections can
>> apply the rose tinted galses and I cant disprove it. Nice Link...

> Yeah I was using mine daily until 98/99 when the A530 unit packed up
> Still have the 120mb SCSI drive from it in front of me right now, going to
> plug it in and hopefully get the data off it - all my BBS stuff is on it
> along with mods etc...

Ah but did you have the full aminet collection on cd?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Part 2:
<http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2.ars>.

Chris Lim

On Aug 14, 10:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Part 2:
> <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2...>.

Just when it gets interesting......"Part 3 next week" Aaaaarrgghh

I have just ordered On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of
Commodore (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacul...all-Commodore/
dp/0973864907). Hope it's good.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Chris Lim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Aug 14, 10:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > Part 2:
> > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-2...>.

> Just when it gets interesting......"Part 3 next week" Aaaaarrgghh
>
> I have just ordered On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of
> Commodore (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacul...all-Commodore/
> dp/0973864907). Hope it's good.

Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
<http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
broken across two lines.

Chris Lim

On Aug 16, 12:22 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet)
wrote:
> Hi - URLs should be surrounded by angle brackets - e.g.
> <http://www.exampleurl.com/> - if you want a long URL to work when
> broken across two lines.

Thanks. The link in my post should be: <http://www.amazon.com/Edge-
Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907>