Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When is Linux NOT Linux?

When is Linux NOT Linux?

Mickey Mouse

When it's another distribution....

"although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less and
less binary compatible with Debian"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f8mvrs$1qe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> When it's another distribution....

How does that make it not Linux?

peterwn

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> When it's another distribution....
>
> "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less
> and less binary compatible with Debian"
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

You do not even know what Linux is. Yes, you have a very rough idea
what it is but you do not understand terminology.

It is like saying that I have this brand new Vista computer which does
web browsing, E-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, accounting, media
player, etc. I bet you would soon point out that Vista is just the
operating system (granted it has a few extra things bundled in which the
EU regard as illegal bundling).

Anyway if people are using (say) Red Hat or Fedora, then the above
article is of nil relevance.

Ah, yes, I must tell you an interesting little IP story about Mickey
Mouse (the real one) and Peter Pan sometime. It is all about corporate
integrity and morality.

bok

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> When it's another distribution....

You are confused.

While GNU is "GNU not Unix", GNU/Linux is sometimes just Linux and not
GNU but Linux is never NOT Linux.

Shane

Mickey Mouse wrote:

> When it's another distribution....
>
> "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less and
> less binary compatible with Debian"
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

Wheres the beef?
Are you saying <insert shock and or horror> that one distro is different
from another????

--
"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
degrees and try again..."

thingy

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> When it's another distribution....
>
> "although Ubuntu is source compatible with Debian, it is becoming less
> and less binary compatible with Debian"
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

moron....

regards