Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MSN maps vs. Google maps

MSN maps vs. Google maps

Ralph Fox

I got sent an MSN maps "permalink" today. Every time I tried to open
it in my browser, it redirected me to http://intl.local.live.com/
I have never had this problem with Google maps.

MSN maps was not as easy to get "introduced to" as Google maps was.

After a bit of experimentation, I did manage to open the MSN map.
I had to both (a) delete cookies and (b) spoof Firefox's user-agent
string. Just one of these was not enough.

Keeping out _incompatible_ browsers is not a valid reason for
this behaviour. My browser uses the same Gecko rendering engine
as Firefox, and the web site can see this in the user-agent string.