Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Linux, DVD's and GPLv3

Re: Linux, DVD's and GPLv3

Malcolm

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:01:15 +1200
sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mickey Mouse wrote:
> > "sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Good question
> >> What is the situation if you use VLC on a Windows OS instead of
> >> Linux ?

> > Answered here:
> > http://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently_...rcial_usage.3F
> >

> > In commercial software packages (such as the bundled Windows DVD
> > player, PowerDVD etc) the producer has arranged the licence and has
> > paid the associated fee, so the user does not have to be concerned
> > with making special arrangements. In the case of open source
> > software however, the software producer has not licensed the
> > software, so it becomes the users responsibility to ensure that
> > they arrange such a licence by contacting MPEG LA (the group holder
> > of the applicable patents) if they wish to make use of MPEG2
> > encoded data (such as DVD's).

> So the issue isn't specific to Linux users.
> You shills from Microsoft NZ aren't ab$1.52 billionove telling a few
> fibs when you are doing your anonymous trolling, are you ?

Hi
Didn't I read in stuff.co.nz that Microsoft have to pay up $1.52 billion
for this....??

Lucent filed suit against the software vendor on March 28 in a U.S.
District Court in San Diego. The networking company, which currently is
in the process of merging with Alcatel SA, said Microsoft has violated
a patent it holds in the built-in MPEG-2 decoding capability of the
console. At issue is patent 5,227,878, "Adaptive Coding and Decoding of
Frames and Fields of Video."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...entxbox_1.html

Now as an ex Alcatel employee and still a shareholder in said
company.... where is my money...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

Malcolm

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:16:53 -0500
Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:01:15 +1200
> sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Mickey Mouse wrote:
> > > "sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Answered here:
> > > http://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently_...rcial_usage.3F
> > >

> > > In commercial software packages (such as the bundled Windows DVD
> > > player, PowerDVD etc) the producer has arranged the licence and
> > > has paid the associated fee, so the user does not have to be
> > > concerned with making special arrangements. In the case of open
> > > source software however, the software producer has not licensed
> > > the software, so it becomes the users responsibility to ensure
> > > that they arrange such a licence by contacting MPEG LA (the group
> > > holder of the applicable patents) if they wish to make use of
> > > MPEG2 encoded data (such as DVD's).

> > So the issue isn't specific to Linux users.
> > You shills from Microsoft NZ aren't ab$1.52 billionove telling a few
> > fibs when you are doing your anonymous trolling, are you ?

> Hi
> Didn't I read in stuff.co.nz that Microsoft have to pay up $1.52
> billion for this....??
>
> Lucent filed suit against the software vendor on March 28 in a U.S.
> District Court in San Diego. The networking company, which currently
> is in the process of merging with Alcatel SA, said Microsoft has
> violated a patent it holds in the built-in MPEG-2 decoding capability
> of the console. At issue is patent 5,227,878, "Adaptive Coding and
> Decoding of Frames and Fields of Video."
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...entxbox_1.html
>
> Now as an ex Alcatel employee and still a shareholder in said
> company.... where is my money...

Oh and this one as well...sigh

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

sam

Malcolm wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:01:15 +1200
> sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mickey Mouse wrote:
>>> "sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Answered here:
>>> http://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently_...rcial_usage.3F
>>>

>>> In commercial software packages (such as the bundled Windows DVD
>>> player, PowerDVD etc) the producer has arranged the licence and has
>>> paid the associated fee, so the user does not have to be concerned
>>> with making special arrangements. In the case of open source
>>> software however, the software producer has not licensed the
>>> software, so it becomes the users responsibility to ensure that
>>> they arrange such a licence by contacting MPEG LA (the group holder
>>> of the applicable patents) if they wish to make use of MPEG2
>>> encoded data (such as DVD's).

>> So the issue isn't specific to Linux users.
>> You shills from Microsoft NZ aren't ab$1.52 billionove telling a few
>> fibs when you are doing your anonymous trolling, are you ?

> Hi
> Didn't I read in stuff.co.nz that Microsoft have to pay up $1.52 billion
> for this....??
>
> Lucent filed suit against the software vendor on March 28 in a U.S.
> District Court in San Diego. The networking company, which currently is
> in the process of merging with Alcatel SA, said Microsoft has violated
> a patent it holds in the built-in MPEG-2 decoding capability of the
> console. At issue is patent 5,227,878, "Adaptive Coding and Decoding of
> Frames and Fields of Video."
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...entxbox_1.html
>
> Now as an ex Alcatel employee and still a shareholder in said
> company.... where is my money...

So does this licensing organisation want me to pay $US2.50 for using VLC
on Windows ?
Because I'm ready to, Paypal, CC whatever, to not have to use the
commercial crap that came with my DVD drive.
And that includes Windows Media Player, what a load of shite that is !!
How about I pay another $2.50 for Media Player Classic ?
Get Bill on the phone Mickey ! tell him I want a $2.50 refund on the
shite bundled with XP !!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <46aac7c3$(E-Mail Removed)>, sam wrote:

> So does this licensing organisation want me to pay $US2.50 for using VLC
> on Windows ?
> Because I'm ready to, Paypal, CC whatever, to not have to use the
> commercial crap that came with my DVD drive.

Unfortunately, that won't be enough for them. They don't just want money for
the patent royalties, they also want you to sign an ironclad agreement to
ensure that nothing can happen to Hollywood's precious content without
Hollywood's agreement.

sam

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <46aac7c3$(E-Mail Removed)>, sam wrote:
>
>> So does this licensing organisation want me to pay $US2.50 for using VLC
>> on Windows ?
>> Because I'm ready to, Paypal, CC whatever, to not have to use the
>> commercial crap that came with my DVD drive.

> Unfortunately, that won't be enough for them. They don't just want money for
> the patent royalties, they also want you to sign an ironclad agreement to
> ensure that nothing can happen to Hollywood's precious content without
> Hollywood's agreement.

Indeed, because those licensed players enforce region lockout which is a
violation of free trade and competition law principles.
It is virtually a moral duty NOT to use them.

Mickey Mouse

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Didn't I read in stuff.co.nz that Microsoft have to pay up $1.52 billion
> for this....??
>
> Now as an ex Alcatel employee and still a shareholder in said
> company.... where is my money...

Well it looks like the MP3 case was overturned, so no bonus dividend sorry.

"A week after Microsoft was ordered to hand over $1.5 billion in an
Alcatel-Lucent MP3 patent dispute, a federal judge has ruled that the
Windows maker did not violate a patent at the heart of a second trial that
was set to begin soon."

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+wins+i...3-6163828.html