Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Antivirus/Antspywarei

Antivirus/Antspywarei

Kerry C

Hope this is the right ng for this query. Apologies if it's not.
Looking for help with the following -
Had a nasty on the machine recently, evidenced by it slowing down. Running
AVG, AdAware SE Personal, Spybot and RogueRemover didn't show up anything so
d/lded 15 day trial version of the full Zone Alarm Security Suite - had
taken the freeby version off a while back because of an apparent conflict
and relied only on the default SP firewall.
Anyway ZA sorted out a couple of nasties - great! But I also d/lded free
versions of XoftSpySE and NoAdware. Results of scans are:
-- Xoft reports 310 instances of a thing called Agent Trojan, 10 of
Bitgrabber, 1 of CWS.Homepage and 2 of Qhost Trojan. Info given is Type -
Host File Item and Object - the url of each is given (all 310
instances of Agent Trojan have different urls).
-- NoAdware reports 3 instances of a thing called
Hijacker.InternetExplorerZoneHijack.

After trying a few other things, I'm beginning to suspect that the reports
from these two progs may be false positives. Anyone had any experience with
these progs - XoftSpySE and NoAdware? Comments gratefully received.

TIA,
KerryC

Brendan

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:33:13 +1200, Kerry C wrote:

> Hope this is the right ng for this query. Apologies if it's not.
> Looking for help with the following -
> Had a nasty on the machine recently, evidenced by it slowing down. Running
> AVG, AdAware SE Personal, Spybot and RogueRemover didn't show up anything so
> d/lded 15 day trial version of the full Zone Alarm Security Suite - had
> taken the freeby version off a while back because of an apparent conflict
> and relied only on the default SP firewall.
> Anyway ZA sorted out a couple of nasties - great! But I also d/lded free
> versions of XoftSpySE and NoAdware. Results of scans are:
> -- Xoft reports 310 instances of a thing called Agent Trojan, 10 of
> Bitgrabber, 1 of CWS.Homepage and 2 of Qhost Trojan. Info given is Type -
> Host File Item and Object - the url of each is given (all 310
> instances of Agent Trojan have different urls).
> -- NoAdware reports 3 instances of a thing called
> Hijacker.InternetExplorerZoneHijack.
>
> After trying a few other things, I'm beginning to suspect that the reports
> from these two progs may be false positives. Anyone had any experience with
> these progs - XoftSpySE and NoAdware? Comments gratefully received.
>
> TIA,
> KerryC

Xoftspy is a well-known piece of con-ware. You have been conned. it does
nothing useful except make money for the conman behind it.

Google it. As you should have in the first place.

--

.... Brendan

#261501 +(5732)- [X]

<jeebus> the "bishop" came to our church today
<jeebus> he was a ****en impostor
<jeebus> never once moved diagonally

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/07/2007 2:46:30 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.