Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Widescreen Monitor/Video Card Help Needed

Widescreen Monitor/Video Card Help Needed

Basil.Fawlty

Hi All,

Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,

I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with a
wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014

What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a resolution
of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.

So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?

And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?

Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not needed,
just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.

Thanks

Mickey Mouse

"Basil.Fawlty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with
> wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
>
> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
>
> What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a
> resolution
> of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
>
> So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?

What is your current video card?

It may well support the 1440x900 resolution with existing or updated
drivers. Often you will find with Plug and Play monitors that you are only
offered display resolutions that your monitor supports, and 1280x1024 is
usually the limit on most 17" CRT's.

E. Scrooge

"Basil.Fawlty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,
>
> I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with
> wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
>
> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
>
> What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a
> resolution
> of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
>
> So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?
>
> And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?
>
> Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not
> needed,
> just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.
>
> Thanks

Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
can then decide if you want to change your video card.

E. Scrooge

Basil.Fawlty

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
Snip

>What is your current video card?

S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

>It may well support the 1440x900 resolution with existing or updated
>drivers. Often you will find with Plug and Play monitors that you are only
>offered display resolutions that your monitor supports, and 1280x1024 is
>usually the limit on most 17" CRT's.

big cat

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:43:20 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Some advice would be appricated, if you would be so kind,
>
>I've been considering replacing my 5 year old Philips CRT 17" monitor with a
>wide screen flat LCD. This one in particular has caught my eye.
>
>http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=FP00014
>
>What do I need in terms of a video card? The monitor above runs at a resolution
>of 1440x900 whilst my current video card will only go to 1280x1024.
>
>So, am I correct in assuming I need a new video card?
>
>And if so, would any one care to make any recomendations?
>
>Gaming is not an interest of mine, so the newest, fastest card is not needed,
>just something that will run a 19/20' widescreen monitor adequately.
>
>Thanks

A very low end Monitor only has 262k Colours, and limited to 900px vertical,
keep far far away..

Go for a monitor with better vertical resolution and with 16.7 mil colours,
NOT 16.2..

big cat

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:53:02 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Snip
>>
>>What is your current video card?
>>

>S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

>>It may well support the 1440x900 resolution with existing or updated
>>drivers. Often you will find with Plug and Play monitors that you are only
>>offered display resolutions that your monitor supports, and 1280x1024 is
>>usually the limit on most 17" CRT's.

Greg House

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:53:02 +1200, Basil.Fawlty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:20:32 +1200, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Snip
>>
>>What is your current video card?
>>

>S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR

From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
to good at all.

>>It may well support the 1440x900 resolution with existing or updated
>>drivers. Often you will find with Plug and Play monitors that you are only
>>offered display resolutions that your monitor supports, and 1280x1024 is
>>usually the limit on most 17" CRT's.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
>to good at all.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
big cat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
>with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

Well, it's good to see you agree with youself. When you start arguing
with yourself we'll know you've really gone senile.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Basil.Fawlty

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:44:11 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
wrote:

Snip

>Your card should work fine. The highest possible resolution isn't
>everything on the size of the LCD monitor. After you get the monitor you
>can then decide if you want to change your video card.
>
>E. Scrooge

Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

Jerry

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Greg House <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>From my resent research on this its a Integrated graphics chip with 32megs of shared memory, not
>> to good at all.

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> big cat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>From resent investigation of mine for another user, This is a integrated chip
>> with only 32 megs of shared memory, very low end.

> Well, it's good to see you agree with youself. When you start arguing
> with yourself we'll know you've really gone senile.

When you argue with yourself it's OK, it's when you start saying "huh"
to yourself that you are in trouble