Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Liars Exposed: C7 powered, no crapware, Vista based system: LOW price

Linux Liars Exposed: C7 powered, no crapware, Vista based system: LOW price

Mickey Mouse

Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther processor, the
Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system is quite capable of
being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB
hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics and no crapware, such a system
would be quite a capable performer for word processing, e-mailing, listening
to music, watching video, and web surfing.

And all for US$298 (NZ$375).

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-crapware.html

Mickey Mouse

The specific model of processor used in this system is the ROHS compliant
VIA C7-D Esther processor, which Everex on their site state consumes "20W
peak power (2W average)"

http://www.everex.com/gc3502/index.htm

Malcolm

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200
"Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther
> processor, the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system
> is quite capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB
> of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics
> and no crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for
> word processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and
> web surfing.
>
> And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-crapware.html

Hi
I''l bite

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5673669

Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
tax here in Mississippi.

Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??

Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Malcolm wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200
> "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther
>> processor, the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system
>> is quite capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB
>> of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics
>> and no crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for
>> word processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and
>> web surfing.
>>=20
>> And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
>>=20
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...8-wal-mart-pc-
>> features-op=

> enoffice-org-no-crapware.html=20
>>=20

> Hi
> I''l bite
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...t_id=3D5673669
>
> Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
> tax here in Mississippi.

Your link got muntered.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5673669

The monitor is a 17" CRT, not an LCD. There goes any power saving the
CPU would have made!

> Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??
>
> Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
> at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

I don't know what the 400 MHz on the web page refers to, but the CPU in
the PC runs at 1.5 GHz.

Something that surprises me is that they're trying to save every dollar
they can, yet the PC still includes parallel printer and PS/2 ports. I
would have expected those to disappear from cheap PCs at least five
years ago.

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

Mickey Mouse

>"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200

> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5673669
>
> Not sure how much power the 17" LCD monitor draws?.... all for $348 +7%
> tax here in Mississippi.

Different package - the one listed at $298 comes with 1GB RAM and no
monitor - you get to choose one to suit your needs (or eco-requirements).

See: http://www.everex.com/gc3502/index.htm

> Hmmm and Norton Internet Security 2007 isn't crapware??

It certainly wouldn't be remaining on any system I purchased, but for
general home users it offers basic AV monitoring until they find a more
suitable alternative.

> Think I stick with my M10000 running off a flash drive (no hard drive)
> at least it runs at 1GHz and not 400Mhz for the above system...

The CPU runs at 1.5GHz - the 400MHz is for the FSB.

peterwn

On Jul 22, 1:43 pm, "Mickey Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther processor, the
> Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system is quite capable of
> being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB of DDR-2 SDRAM, an 80GB
> hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics and no crapware, such a system
> would be quite a capable performer for word processing, e-mailing, listening
> to music, watching video, and web surfing.
>
> And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...art-pc-feature...

Agreed that this is possible.

This is not however the main environmental concern.

The main concern is that a lot of hardware is going to be prematurely
trashed through forced obsolesence despite it being quite capable of
meeting the majority's continuing computing needs. In other words XP
should remain readily available to purchase and properly supported for
the next several years at least. There are many customers out there
who want to continue with XP but have misgivings about Vista.
Microsoft should therefore give the customers what they want.

Gordon

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:43:19 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> Using the low power consumption (12 watts max) VIA C7 Esther processor,
> the Everex IMPACT GC3502 shows that a Vista based system is quite
> capable of being eco-friendly. With a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU, 1GB of DDR-2
> SDRAM, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD burner, integrated graphics and no
> crapware, such a system would be quite a capable performer for word
> processing, e-mailing, listening to music, watching video, and web
> surfing.
>
> And all for US$298 (NZ$375).
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-pc-features-

openoffice-org-no-crapware.html

So back to the header. care to give use some thoughts on the matter?