Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista exacerbates climate change

Vista exacerbates climate change

Peter

There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher power
hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse gas
emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions of users.

In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by Gartner, a
user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856

As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the ridiculously
over complicated shut down / log off system, which appears to be designed
to cause increased power consumption ...
"The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode which
continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC the main fan
keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site it shouldn't). The
real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that I suspect many novice
users will not find."
http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/a...sta_zeitg.html

Peter

Mickey Mouse

We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number of
continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.

Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
just have one computer.

Thanks.

Jennings

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:05:02 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
> just have one computer.
>
> Thanks.

Classic

Biggles

Peter

From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
> We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
> of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
>
> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
> just have one computer.

They do.
What's more, Linux enables users the freedom to configure the system for
older hardware, thus giving a smaller carbon footprint.

On the other hand, Vista users don't have the freedom to modify the
software, and are obliged to purchase higher powered hardware. Hence the
OP, which was about the climate change implications of Vista.
Your reply implies tacit acceptance of the proposal that Vista exacerbates
climate change.

Peter

Bugalugs

Peter wrote:
> From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
>> We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
>> of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
>>
>> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
>> just have one computer.

> They do.
> What's more, Linux enables users the freedom to configure the system for
> older hardware, thus giving a smaller carbon footprint.

C-mon

Some conscious stricken Linux user is going to do that "just to reduce
his carbon footprint".

You've gotta be f*ckin joking right?

> On the other hand, Vista users don't have the freedom to modify the
> software, and are obliged to purchase higher powered hardware. Hence the
> OP, which was about the climate change implications of Vista.
> Your reply implies tacit acceptance of the proposal that Vista exacerbates
> climate change.
>

> Peter

Mickey Mouse

> From its corner, Mickey Mouse squeaked:
>> We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number
>> of continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
>>
>> Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
>> just have one computer.

> On the other hand, Vista users don't have the freedom to modify the
> software, and are obliged to purchase higher powered hardware. Hence the
> OP, which was about the climate change implications of Vista.
> Your reply implies tacit acceptance of the proposal that Vista exacerbates
> climate change.

No, it implies that Vista in itself is not the determinant of system power
consumption. Most people who are buying a computer are wanting something
with more capabilities than that offered by a 486. That is called consumer
choice.

Processor choice is a factor that plays a large part in power consumption,
and Vista would run without problems on systems powered by the likes of
VIA's C7 Esther processor which uses between 12 and 20 watts.
http://www.cpushack.net/VIA.html

Perhaps your original post would have had more credibility if it was looking
at CPU's, and asking why those who supposedly have "genuine" concerns over
carbon footprints aren't putting their money where their mouths are and
using processors like that offered by VIA.

Ross

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>We often hear of boasting from a number of Linux users about their number of
>continuous uptime hours and their multiple computers.
>
>Why don't they turn their computers off when they are not using them, or
>just have one computer.
>
>Thanks.

Because we are helping to fight global cooling.

jerry3890@gmail.com

On Jul 21, 10:28 am, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher power
> hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse gas
> emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions of users.
>
> In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by Gartner, a
> user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856
>
> As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the ridiculously
> over complicated shut down / log off system, which appears to be designed
> to cause increased power consumption ...
> "The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode which
> continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC the main fan
> keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site it shouldn't). The
> real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that I suspect many novice
> users will not find."http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/fogg/archives/2007/03/the...
>
> Peter

The off button can be configured in Vista from the power settings in
the control panel. The default is "power off", just like XP

~misfit~

Peter wrote:
> There are a few articles around about how Vista's demand for higher
> power hardware means an increase in energy consumption and greenhouse
> gas emissions. A small increase for each user adds up over millions
> of users.
>
> In their response, MS appear to be in denial. As pointed out by
> Gartner, a user can save power on an XP system by turning it off too.
> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=48856
>
> As an example, one of the conspicuous features of Vista is the
> ridiculously over complicated shut down / log off system, which
> appears to be designed to cause increased power consumption ...
> "The main 'off' button on the menu actually activates a 'sleep' mode
> which continues to use a significant amount of power (and on my PC
> the main fan keeps going too, which according to the Microsoft site
> it shouldn't). The real shut down is now hidden off a side menu that
> I suspect many novice users will not find."
> http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/a...sta_zeitg.html

Cool! I didn't know this stuff was around. I just figgered it out my own
self. <g>

Cheers,
--
Shaun.