Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GPL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f7kcal$tf1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:

> I'm partial to a BSD style license myself.
> ie. heres the code, do what you want with it, now bugger off.

That's all very well for your users. But what about your users' users? They
do not automatically have that same right to bugger off. To guarantee that
right, you need a GPL-style licence.

Shane

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <f7kcal$tf1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:
>
>> I'm partial to a BSD style license myself.
>> ie. heres the code, do what you want with it, now bugger off.

> That's all very well for your users. But what about your users' users?
> They do not automatically have that same right to bugger off. To guarantee
> that right, you need a GPL-style licence.

You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

--
Q: What does a mathematician present to his fiancée when he wants to
propose?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f7pmr5$gsq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <f7kcal$tf1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:
>>
>>> I'm partial to a BSD style license myself.
>>> ie. heres the code, do what you want with it, now bugger off.

>> That's all very well for your users. But what about your users' users?
>> They do not automatically have that same right to bugger off. To
>> guarantee that right, you need a GPL-style licence.

> You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

Some have suggested that the reason the BSD systems remain marginalized is
because the licensing allows freeloaders. Every now and then, some company
tries to create a commercial closed-source variant, taking talent from the
common pool. Naturally this is a highly risky business; then, when they
fail, the work they've done dies with them, instead of being contributed
back to the pool. So, over time, the pool gets bled dry.

The GPL is specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing. There's
nothing to stop companies commercializing GPL software, and lots of them
do, quite successfully. But the one thing they cannot do is cut themselves
off from the common pool. So even if a company fails, that's not such a
major calamity, because the work that it did is still available to others
to build on. That's why Linux now has over 350 distros, supporting two
dozen different major processor architectures, and why those numbers
continue to increase, not decrease.

Sure, Richard Stallman is a control freak, and he rubs a lot of people up
the wrong way. But the GPL is the one thing he managed to get right--so
right that it prevents even him from stuffing things up.

Shane

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <f7pmr5$gsq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> That's all very well for your users. But what about your users' users?
>>> They do not automatically have that same right to bugger off. To
>>> guarantee that right, you need a GPL-style licence.

>> You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

> Some have suggested that the reason the BSD systems remain marginalized is
> because the licensing allows freeloaders. Every now and then, some company
> tries to create a commercial closed-source variant, taking talent from the
> common pool. Naturally this is a highly risky business; then, when they
> fail, the work they've done dies with them, instead of being contributed
> back to the pool. So, over time, the pool gets bled dry.
>
> The GPL is specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing. There's
> nothing to stop companies commercializing GPL software, and lots of them
> do, quite successfully. But the one thing they cannot do is cut themselves
> off from the common pool. So even if a company fails, that's not such a
> major calamity, because the work that it did is still available to others
> to build on. That's why Linux now has over 350 distros, supporting two
> dozen different major processor architectures, and why those numbers
> continue to increase, not decrease.
>
> Sure, Richard Stallman is a control freak, and he rubs a lot of people up
> the wrong way. But the GPL is the one thing he managed to get right--so
> right that it prevents even him from stuffing things up.

I repeat.
You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

--
Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.

Shane

Further to my last message. If you dont like the license I choose, don't
use the software I release under that license.

--
A physicist, a mathematician and a computer scientist discuss what is
better: a wife or a girlfriend.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f7rhvt$qr6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

>> Some have suggested that the reason the BSD systems remain marginalized
>> is because the licensing allows freeloaders. Every now and then, some
>> company tries to create a commercial closed-source variant, taking talent
>> from the common pool. Naturally this is a highly risky business; then,
>> when they fail, the work they've done dies with them, instead of being
>> contributed back to the pool. So, over time, the pool gets bled dry.
>>
>> The GPL is specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing. There's
>> nothing to stop companies commercializing GPL software, and lots of them
>> do, quite successfully. But the one thing they cannot do is cut
>> themselves off from the common pool. So even if a company fails, that's
>> not such a major calamity, because the work that it did is still
>> available to others to build on. That's why Linux now has over 350
>> distros, supporting two dozen different major processor architectures,
>> and why those numbers continue to increase, not decrease.
>>
>> Sure, Richard Stallman is a control freak, and he rubs a lot of people up
>> the wrong way. But the GPL is the one thing he managed to get right--so
>> right that it prevents even him from stuffing things up.

> I repeat.
> You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

But then someone can include your code into another product and release it
under the GPL. So whatever you might choose, your code ends up being
redistributed under the GPL anyway.

Shane

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <f7rhvt$qr6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Some have suggested that the reason the BSD systems remain marginalized
>>> is because the licensing allows freeloaders. Every now and then, some
>>> company tries to create a commercial closed-source variant, taking
>>> talent from the common pool. Naturally this is a highly risky business;
>>> then, when they fail, the work they've done dies with them, instead of
>>> being contributed back to the pool. So, over time, the pool gets bled
>>> dry.
>>>
>>> The GPL is specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing. There's
>>> nothing to stop companies commercializing GPL software, and lots of them
>>> do, quite successfully. But the one thing they cannot do is cut
>>> themselves off from the common pool. So even if a company fails, that's
>>> not such a major calamity, because the work that it did is still
>>> available to others to build on. That's why Linux now has over 350
>>> distros, supporting two dozen different major processor architectures,
>>> and why those numbers continue to increase, not decrease.
>>>
>>> Sure, Richard Stallman is a control freak, and he rubs a lot of people
>>> up the wrong way. But the GPL is the one thing he managed to get
>>> right--so right that it prevents even him from stuffing things up.

>> I repeat.
>> You choose your style, I'll choose mine.

> But then someone can include your code into another product and release it
> under the GPL. So whatever you might choose, your code ends up being
> redistributed under the GPL anyway.

And?

--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a