Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tell me what is, um, not accurate about the following...

Tell me what is, um, not accurate about the following...

Jonathan Walker

QUOTE:
About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in
software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
and on any device.
ENDQUOTE

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

Fred Dagg

On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>QUOTE:
>About Microsoft
>Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq MSFT) is the worldwide leader in
>software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
>computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
>designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
>and on any device.
>ENDQUOTE

If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
money.

Gordon

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:04:27 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>QUOTE:
>>About Microsoft
>>Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in
>>software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
>>computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
>>designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
>>and on any device.
>>ENDQUOTE

> If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
> money.

Right then, could you explain to us why you think it is?

Fred Dagg

On 19 Jul 2007 06:01:08 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:04:27 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On 18 Jul 2007 22:45:18 +1200, Jonathan Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>>QUOTE:
>>>About Microsoft
>>>Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq ?MSFT?) is the worldwide leader in
>>>software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business
>>>computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services
>>>designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place
>>>and on any device.
>>>ENDQUOTE

>> If you took off your blinkers, you'd find that this is dead on the
>> money.

>Right then, could you explain to us why you think it is?

Perhaps you could explain why it isn't?

You could start by explaining how Microsoft doesn't dominate the
personal and business computing markets. Oh, that's right - they do.

Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.

Maybe you don't think their software is great? Whilst that is quite
subjective, I think their success would indicate otherwise.

Maybe you don't like the "any device" thing? Fact is, there is a
version of Windows for almost any device, so that kills that. (Unless
you're going to say that because one person had a problem with their
computer and couldn't use a flash drive that Vista doesn't support
transferring files from other OSs, but I think only a moron would say
something like that).

So really, I'm quite looking forward to your explanation of why that
statement is so wrong. It would be good if you could refrain from the
usual FUD and simplistic anti-corporate attack most often used by
those that hate successful businesses and just stick to fact.

This should be interesting.

Enkidu

Fred Dagg wrote:

> Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
> empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
> typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.

So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

WP5 was the best text based WP bar none. Pity they lost their way with
the first Windows version and let MS sell everyone MS Word. Or *the*
original popular SS? Pity they tied it into their horrible desktop
system, eh? Groupwise tried to get it right but p*ssed off all their
users with software that mangled emails, sent them them to the wrong
people, and presented users with other people's emails.

MS got on a roll with its products as a result of horrendous stuff ups
by everyone else. Once they had the people they kept the people. It's
what they are good at.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:21 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>> Maybe you could then try to explain that productivity software doesn't
>> empower workers. Of course without Microsoft we'd probably still be on
>> typewriters, so that kinda kills that idea.
>>

>So you reckon that there would be no word processors or spreadsheets
>without Microsoft? Never heard of WordPerfect or Lotus 123?

Well considering personal computer usage and availability only really
took off with DOS then Windows, there might have been a small number
of people using WP on a Mac or something.

Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

peterwn

On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>

> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.

That is one of seething resentment.

Rob.S.

peterwn wrote:
> On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

> Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
> hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
>
> That is one of seething resentment.

Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
out of as many people as possible.

Rob S

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:25:42 -0000, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

>Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
>hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
>
>That is one of seething resentment.

"Many people" being you, and your anti-corporation mates?

Whilst it was "cool" to hate Microsoft a few years ago, I think you'll
find most mature people realise they've done a hell of a lot to make
all of our lives easier.

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:02:02 +1200, "Rob.S."
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>peterwn wrote:
>> On Jul 20, 12:29 pm, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Fact is, it was because of Windows that there are now computers in
>>> almost every home and on almost every desk. Love them or hate them,
>>> you've got to give Microsoft credit where it's due.

>> Many people would seem to hold Microsoft in the same regard as they
>> hold their phone company, power company or loan shark.
>>
>> That is one of seething resentment.
>>

>Exactly! Hitler gave the world the Volkswagon beetle, once the most
>popular car in the world, but I doubt that Hitler is on any body's
>prayer list, and despite the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MS sure
>'aint out to make any less money than the sheer maximum they can squeeze
>out of as many people as possible.

Oh, *apart from* the $US33 BILLION DOLLAR charity set up by Bill?

And anyway, why do you seem to think that making money is a bad thing?