Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CAT5 cable outdoors

CAT5 cable outdoors

XPD

Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
?
I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
about 2 metres.
Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
hosepipe or similar ?

Smiles

XPD wrote:
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
> ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
> under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
> about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
> hosepipe or similar ?

Should be sweet. Had a cable running between myself and the guy nextdoor
for quite a few years and it was fine. Was a good 20 meters outside too,
over a fence and over a garage roof...

none

XPD wrote:
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
> ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
> under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
> about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
> hosepipe or similar ?

It'd probably be ok, but for what it costs, buy a roll of irrigation
pipe (black PVC stuff) or even bog standard garden hose and run it
through that.

We buried ~300M of it in black irrigation pipe at my uni hostel once
upon a time.

none

XPD wrote:
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
> ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
> under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
> about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
> hosepipe or similar ?

It'd probably be ok, but for what it costs, buy a roll of irrigation
pipe (black PVC stuff) or even bog standard garden hose and run it
through that.

We buried ~300M of it in black irrigation pipe at my uni hostel once
upon a time.

peterwn

Smiles wrote:

> Should be sweet. Had a cable running between myself and the guy nextdoor
> for quite a few years and it was fine. Was a good 20 meters outside too,
> over a fence and over a garage roof...

UV stability is a consideration - I have no idea what performance is
like. Protection from blazing sunlight is probably worthwhile.

thingy

XPD wrote:
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
> ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
> under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
> about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
> hosepipe or similar ?

I'd thread it through a bit of old hose pipe....

regards

thing

Mark Robinson

XPD wrote:
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
> ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
> under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
> about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
> hosepipe or similar ?

You can get polyethylene jacketed gel filled CAT5 if you want it to last more
than a few years.

XPD

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f7jrtn$vui$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor
> enviroment ?
> I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some
> CAT5 under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and
> garage is about 2 metres.
> Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit
> of hosepipe or similar ?

Thanks all, will put it in some old hose pipe

Greg House

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:56:55 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wondering how durable the usual CAT5 cable is in an outdoor enviroment
>?
>I need network access in my garage so was thinking of just running some CAT5
>under the house then to the garage - the gap between the house and garage is
>about 2 metres.
>Would the cat5 survive the elements or am I best to run in through a bit of
>hosepipe or similar ?

Just use plastic electrical conduit..

Steve

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:17:55 +1200, peterwn wrote:

> Smiles wrote:
>>
>> Should be sweet. Had a cable running between myself and the guy nextdoor
>> for quite a few years and it was fine. Was a good 20 meters outside too,
>> over a fence and over a garage roof...

> UV stability is a consideration - I have no idea what performance is
> like. Protection from blazing sunlight is probably worthwhile.

We have found that this is nowhere near as important as keeping it away
from hedge trimmers and weedeaters.