Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Explorer default search settings

Windows Explorer default search settings

Sticky

We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.

How do I do the same thing except turn off the search archive (normally
"zip") files feature?

I have a number of large zip files - I know what I want is not inside
these, yet Explorer spends minutes searching *every* file name inside
these.

Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?

There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.

Alternatively does anyone know of a utility to search for a file name
(or importantly part or fuzzy name) on a hard drive that can be told not
to search inside archives? I'm happy with c.l utils but not Linux.

rant mode on :

Windows Explorer is pretty good now but when are Microsoft going to
supply us with a decent search facility? One without yellow dogs or
Merlin to "assist". Also let's not mention the MS-Word text search
feature, it is extremely pathetic. How many years have they had to
perfect this?

Thanks

impossible

"Sticky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4699c61a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
> particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.
>
> How do I do the same thing except turn off the search archive (normally
> "zip") files feature?
>
> I have a number of large zip files - I know what I want is not inside
> these, yet Explorer spends minutes searching *every* file name inside
> these.
>
> Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?
>

> There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.

If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
equivalent functionality:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...h/default.mspx

Look in the help files for information on how to customize everything,
especially the indexing properties.

Sticky

impossible wrote:
> "Sticky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4699c61a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
>> particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.
>>

> If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
> believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
> equivalent functionality:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...h/default.mspx
>
> Look in the help files for information on how to customize everything,
> especially the indexing properties.

Many thanks.

--
Jim

Sticky

impossible wrote:
> "Sticky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4699c61a$(E-Mail Removed)...

snip

>> Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?
>>

>> There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.
>>

> If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
> believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
> equivalent functionality:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/des...h/default.mspx

Eventually I downloaded and tried out Exalead.

Excellent Freeware, very fast and indexes miles faster than Microsoft
Desktop Search. In fact they are both good but Exalead does not need SP2
or Vista.

--
Jim