Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Genuine notice to non regs.

Genuine notice to non regs.

Shane

Welcome to nz.comp, where you may be forgiven for thinking that all we do is
call each other names and argue about OS.
You are invited to form your own opinions on the credibility of each poster,
and their opinions. And you are reminded that most often the people
telling you what opinion to form do not have your interests at heart.
Ultimately the only way you will gain a real understanding is lurking, or,
wth, posting here from time to time.
There are a large number of people here who are prepared to help you with
your problems, discuss computing related subjects, and in general geek
out
The unfortunate few who are here to disrupt are normally very easy to spot
and you are invited to ignore them. Most people do.

--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a

Collector»NZ

Shane wrote:
> Welcome to nz.comp, where you may be forgiven for thinking that all we do is
> call each other names and argue about OS.
> You are invited to form your own opinions on the credibility of each poster,
> and their opinions. And you are reminded that most often the people
> telling you what opinion to form do not have your interests at heart.
> Ultimately the only way you will gain a real understanding is lurking, or,
> wth, posting here from time to time.
> There are a large number of people here who are prepared to help you with
> your problems, discuss computing related subjects, and in general geek
> out
> The unfortunate few who are here to disrupt are normally very easy to spot
> and you are invited to ignore them. Most people do.

I am concerned about this post, it goes against the recent general vein
of posts in the nz hierachy

It must be an illegal post since it is both factual and helpful

Someone should FLAME this man for his own good \\\\

Miguel

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:54:38 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Welcome to nz.comp, where you may be forgiven for thinking that all we
>> do is call each other names and argue about OS. You are invited to form
>> your own opinions on the credibility of each poster, and their
>> opinions. And you are reminded that most often the people telling you
>> what opinion to form do not have your interests at heart. Ultimately
>> the only way you will gain a real understanding is lurking, or, wth,
>> posting here from time to time.
>> There are a large number of people here who are prepared to help you
>> with your problems, discuss computing related subjects, and in general
>> geek out
>> The unfortunate few who are here to disrupt are normally very easy to
>> spot and you are invited to ignore them. Most people do.
>>

> I am concerned about this post, it goes against the recent general vein
> of posts in the nz hierachy
>
> It must be an illegal post since it is both factual and helpful
>
> Someone should FLAME this man for his own good \\\\

Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen of
us at most.

I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
"Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc

It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
to get a life

Regards
Miguel

Rob S

Miguel wrote:

> Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
> nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen of
> us at most.
>
> I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
> It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
> "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc
>
> It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
> to get a life

Good luck. I doubt it will be of any use though, as the bunch who are
turning this ng into an embarrassment seem to be truly deaf to
criticism. It has gotten to the stage that I rarely post these days as
I'm sick to death of the crap nearly every thread turns into. And I'm
sure there are quite a few more just like me, read, but don't post.

I'm a housebound invalid, so believe it or not, usenet is part of what
keeps me sane. Worried about the way Xtra tossed out their news servers,
prior to christmas I ran a poll to see how many usenet users connected
through Telstraclear, as I had a contact there and thought I might be
able to apply a bit of pressure to ensure they kept their news servers,
but when I got less than 40 responses in 4 weeks, I thought better of
it. Those sort of figures would only supply ammo to kill the servers.
Now, I don't really give a damn any more. The standard of this group has
gone down so much, that if TC cut the news servers tomorrow, I doubt I'd
miss it very much at all, and I've been a regular nz.comp reader since
the groups inception, about mid 80s, I think.
--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.

El Chippy

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:20:22 +0200, Miguel wrote:

> I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
> It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
> "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc

El Chippy
Windows,Linux & uC/OS
Low/Medium
Varies (see last line)
User
None before first coffee of the morning/bourbon of the evening

> It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
> to get a life

If you find somewhere that sells them, let me know.

--
Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an
institution.

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:33:04 +1200, El Chippy wrote:

>> It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
>> to get a life

> If you find somewhere that sells them, let me know.

Alternatively, let us know where they can be downloaded. ;o)

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

bambam

Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$(E-Mail Removed):

> Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
> nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen
> of us at most.
>
> I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
> It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of
> Activity" "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc
>
> It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from
> having to get a life

Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days.
Might help start your list-

Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name)
(based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)

nz.comp
1831 100.00% (probe count)
136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
101 5.52% Fred Dagg
92 5.02% Shane
86 4.70% jack
71 3.88% ~misfit~
57 3.11% thingy
49 2.68% sam
46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
42 2.29% Allistar
41 2.24% impossible
39 2.13% peterwn
39 2.13% El Chippy
37 2.02% Richard
31 1.69% XPD
31 1.69% Enkidu
27 1.47% Chris Hope
26 1.42% Gordon
24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
23 1.26% EMB
22 1.20% Collector»NZ
21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
20 1.09% Peter
18 0.98% Jerry
18 0.98% Dave Taylor
17 0.93% Rob S
16 0.87% BTMO
15 0.82% http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
15 0.82% JohnO
15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
14 0.76% muppet
14 0.76% Nighthawk
14 0.76% Mark Robinson
14 0.76% Miguel
13 0.71% Gib Bogle
13 0.71% Max Burke
12 0.66% Peter Huebner
12 0.66% JJ the parrot
12 0.66% frederick
12 0.66% Ray Greene
12 0.66% Don Hills
12 0.66% Malcolm
11 0.60% Matty F
10 0.55% bharmer
10 0.55% Jasen
10 0.55% *sling
10 0.55% Dave Doe

Miguel

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:59:19 +0000, bambam wrote:

> Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days. Might
> help start your list-
>
> Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name) (based on msgs with
> bodies within last 30 days)
>
> nz.comp
> 1831 100.00% (probe count)
> 136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> 101 5.52% Fred Dagg
> 92 5.02% Shane
> 86 4.70% jack
> 71 3.88% ~misfit~
> 57 3.11% thingy
> 49 2.68% sam
> 46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
> 46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
> 42 2.29% Allistar
> 41 2.24% impossible
> 39 2.13% peterwn
> 39 2.13% El Chippy
> 37 2.02% Richard
> 31 1.69% XPD
> 31 1.69% Enkidu
> 27 1.47% Chris Hope
> 26 1.42% Gordon
> 24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
> 23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
> 23 1.26% EMB
> 22 1.20% Collector»NZ
> 21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
> 20 1.09% Peter
> 18 0.98% Jerry
> 18 0.98% Dave Taylor
> 17 0.93% Rob S
> 16 0.87% BTMO
> 15 0.82% (E-Mail Removed)
> 15 0.82% JohnO
> 15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
> 14 0.76% muppet
> 14 0.76% Nighthawk
> 14 0.76% Mark Robinson
> 14 0.76% Miguel
> 13 0.71% Gib Bogle
> 13 0.71% Max Burke
> 12 0.66% Peter Huebner
> 12 0.66% JJ the parrot
> 12 0.66% frederick
> 12 0.66% Ray Greene
> 12 0.66% Don Hills
> 12 0.66% Malcolm
> 11 0.60% Matty F
> 10 0.55% bharmer
> 10 0.55% Jasen
> 10 0.55% *sling
> 10 0.55% Dave Doe

Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort. I guess now it's just
cut and paste into OOCalc. (Or maybe OOBase would be more appropriate)

Out of curiosity I think I'll glean a few extra details from the posts
like the number of non-MS O/S users, the more popular newsreaders, the
more common ISP's etc. Might be informative considering it's a computer
group.

I think I'll also keep (for myself) a few subjective descriptions like
"well-regarded" or "nutter" etc

So much to do....I hope I can find the time in between my train-spotting
sessions and re-arranging the sock drawer

Regards
Miguel

Shane

Miguel wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:59:19 +0000, bambam wrote:
>
>> Miguel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days. Might
>> help start your list-
>>
>> Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name) (based on msgs with
>> bodies within last 30 days)
>>
>> nz.comp
>> 1831 100.00% (probe count)
>> 136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> 101 5.52% Fred Dagg
>> 92 5.02% Shane
>> 86 4.70% jack
>> 71 3.88% ~misfit~
>> 57 3.11% thingy
>> 49 2.68% sam
>> 46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
>> 46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
>> 42 2.29% Allistar
>> 41 2.24% impossible
>> 39 2.13% peterwn
>> 39 2.13% El Chippy
>> 37 2.02% Richard
>> 31 1.69% XPD
>> 31 1.69% Enkidu
>> 27 1.47% Chris Hope
>> 26 1.42% Gordon
>> 24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
>> 23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
>> 23 1.26% EMB
>> 22 1.20% Collector»NZ
>> 21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
>> 20 1.09% Peter
>> 18 0.98% Jerry
>> 18 0.98% Dave Taylor
>> 17 0.93% Rob S
>> 16 0.87% BTMO
>> 15 0.82% (E-Mail Removed)
>> 15 0.82% JohnO
>> 15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
>> 14 0.76% muppet
>> 14 0.76% Nighthawk
>> 14 0.76% Mark Robinson
>> 14 0.76% Miguel
>> 13 0.71% Gib Bogle
>> 13 0.71% Max Burke
>> 12 0.66% Peter Huebner
>> 12 0.66% JJ the parrot
>> 12 0.66% frederick
>> 12 0.66% Ray Greene
>> 12 0.66% Don Hills
>> 12 0.66% Malcolm
>> 11 0.60% Matty F
>> 10 0.55% bharmer
>> 10 0.55% Jasen
>> 10 0.55% *sling
>> 10 0.55% Dave Doe

> Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort. I guess now it's just
> cut and paste into OOCalc. (Or maybe OOBase would be more appropriate)
>
> Out of curiosity I think I'll glean a few extra details from the posts
> like the number of non-MS O/S users, the more popular newsreaders, the
> more common ISP's etc. Might be informative considering it's a computer
> group.
>
> I think I'll also keep (for myself) a few subjective descriptions like
> "well-regarded" or "nutter" etc
>
> So much to do....I hope I can find the time in between my train-spotting
> sessions and re-arranging the sock drawer
>
> Regards
> Miguel

lol.
NZ Trainspotting mailing list lurker here
(E-Mail Removed)

Unfortunately my sock drawers are in a mess..
--
"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
degrees and try again..."

bambam

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:37:47 +0200, Miguel wrote:

> Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort.

No worries.
Will post some newsreader info later.