Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FireWire to become the 'Cinderella' interface?

Reply
Thread Tools

FireWire to become the 'Cinderella' interface?

 
 
jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
whoisthis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/FireWir...interface.html


which only goes to prove that best does not win, cheap and nasty will do
better.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
whoisthis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2007
In article <46873314$(E-Mail Removed)>, sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/FireWir...a-interface.ht
> >> ml

> >
> > which only goes to prove that best does not win, cheap and nasty will do
> > better.

>
> I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
> recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
> interfaces.


I suspect as data gets larger and people expect more then firewire will
come back as the main player.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2007
whoisthis wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/FireWir...interface.html

>
> which only goes to prove that best does not win, cheap and nasty will do
> better.


Cheap and adequate....

VHS v Betamax.....

ISA v MCA.......

IE v Netscape......

IDE v SCSI......

and I am sure there are others....

You would think that other companies would learn from these
examples....oh wait I think at least one campany has...

If you look at Openoffice v MS Office, if they had started on a
reasonably level playing field you have to wonder what would be the
default today....hence we see MS trying to lock in users....if it was
that much better they would not need to.....

Apache v IIS.....

they must remember the VHS v Betamax sarga as well...

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2007
In message <46873314$(E-Mail Removed)>, sam wrote:

> I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
> recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
> interfaces.


For real-time data transfer, why not use Ethernet? Gigabit Ethernet should
handily beat FireWire for speed.

For accessing external storage, it looks like eSATA is the coming thing
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/06/review_tempo_sata_express/>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
sam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2007
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <46873314$(E-Mail Removed)>, sam wrote:
>
>> I've seen quite an increase in firewire multitrack recording interfaces
>> recently, USB still doesn't cut the mustard for much more than 2 track
>> interfaces.

>
> For real-time data transfer, why not use Ethernet? Gigabit Ethernet should
> handily beat FireWire for speed.
>
> For accessing external storage, it looks like eSATA is the coming thing
> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/06/review_tempo_sata_express/>.


Yes there is an audio over ethernet implementation called Cobranet which
uses link layer packets instead of tcp/ip which has too much latency
Latency is still the main issue, it is`a bit high for live use and
monitoring while recording. The hardware cost is also faily high.
Firewire is pretty good for ~ 8 - 16 track recording on laptops, but any
larger systems tend to use PCI or PCIe cards with AES/EBU, ADAT, or MADI
interfaces to AD converters.
Dual Opteron systems now regulary do 80 track recordings live with a
pair of MADI cards.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Become The master in computer hardware to become successfull shilla Computer Security 1 01-22-2011 06:19 PM
firewire on dvd recorder makes firewire card PC useless? cdtsly@relayeur.com DVD Video 0 07-11-2006 02:30 PM
Firewire doesn't work after hotfixes Peter Giotta Wireless Networking 1 02-22-2005 09:26 PM
Re: Firewire card creates dial-up internet access conflict. Dead Meat Wireless Networking 0 09-02-2004 01:15 AM



Advertisments