Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How sad...

How sad...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
> Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

It is their source code...

regards

thing

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
> > Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
> > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

> It is their source code...
>
> regards
>
> thing

"Brief testing at Ars showed it to be a morass ...."
Those guys did NOT have the source. Regardless, hacking someone else's binaries
and then releasing them is of highly questionable legality (or should I say
unquestionable illegality) and so I think they did the right thing to shut the
project down after being told off.

As an aside: MS haven't managed to drain the swamp. My sources on the inside
assured me that the source for Vista is still a morass although the words
they used were somewhat different.

-P.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from
>> the Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

> It is their source code...

But, depending on the jurisdiction, it can be legal to redistribute
modifications if they're not done for profit.

For instance, compare these Israelis
<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40861>, who are modifying
Nvidia's drivers to put back support for obsolete cards that the latter has
been taking out. They've been sent a cease-and-desist letter under US law,
but they claim they're not breaking Israeli law.