Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptop or desktop PC

laptop or desktop PC

darkknight

What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
PC.

Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.

Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
display?

Thanks

Ross

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:28:06 +1200, darkknight
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
>PC.
>
>Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
>even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
>
>Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
>display?
>
>Thanks

Laptops are more expensive to buy.
Laptops are more expensive to service.
Laptops have a shorter "life expectancy".
Yes they can run 24/7 as long as they don't have the problem batteries
of last year.
Yes they can have external keyboards and monitors.

Richard

Ross wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:28:06 +1200, darkknight
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
>> PC.
>>
>> Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
>> even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
>>
>> Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
>> display?
>>
>> Thanks

> Laptops are more expensive to buy.
> Laptops are more expensive to service.
> Laptops have a shorter "life expectancy".
> Yes they can run 24/7 as long as they don't have the problem batteries
> of last year.
> Yes they can have external keyboards and monitors.

In my and many other peoples experiences, laptops lack the needed heat
sinking and cooling to be able to sustain tasks like high res renders
and other real work. First render on a laptop is always faster then ones
after it, whereas on a similar core2 duo desktop they all were about the
same speed.

Allistar

darkknight wrote:

> What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
> PC.

Desktops provide much better performance per dollar.
They are typically quieter.
They are easier to expand/upgrade.

> Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
> even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
>
> Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
> display?

Yes. But it gets tricky when you want to run, say, 3 monitors off one.

> Thanks

Allistar.