Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > M2NPV-VM (different question this time)

M2NPV-VM (different question this time)

Andrew Lambert

Im very confused now

THis motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM
Specifications on the asus website say it has DVI-D output.
HOwever, Pictures show that it could be DVI-I

Some reviews say its DVI-I

I rang the distributor and they say DVI-D (they could just be reading
asus specs though)

So can anyone confirm... is it really DVI-D only?

Some people have also told me that the component video output and
composite video output work simultaneously - this was from a dfi
distributor) - asus distrubutor said they dont work simultaneously

Do you understand why im confused... everyoen gives a different story

Steven Ellis

On Jun 25, 4:11 pm, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Im very confused now
>
> THis motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM
> Specifications on the asus website say it has DVI-D output.
> HOwever, Pictures show that it could be DVI-I
>
> Some reviews say its DVI-I
>
> I rang the distributor and they say DVI-D (they could just be reading
> asus specs though)
>
> So can anyone confirm... is it really DVI-D only?
>
> Some people have also told me that the component video output and
> composite video output work simultaneously - this was from a dfi
> distributor) - asus distrubutor said they dont work simultaneously
>
> Do you understand why im confused... everyoen gives a different story

It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR - http://www.mypvr.co.nz

You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
one analogue output in the video chip.

Steve

Andrew Lambert

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Jun 25, 4:11 pm, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Im very confused now
>>
>> THis motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM
>> Specifications on the asus website say it has DVI-D output.
>> HOwever, Pictures show that it could be DVI-I
>>
>> Some reviews say its DVI-I
>>
>> I rang the distributor and they say DVI-D (they could just be reading
>> asus specs though)
>>
>> So can anyone confirm... is it really DVI-D only?
>>
>> Some people have also told me that the component video output and
>> composite video output work simultaneously - this was from a dfi
>> distributor) - asus distrubutor said they dont work simultaneously
>>
>> Do you understand why im confused... everyoen gives a different story

> It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR - http://www.mypvr.co.nz
>
> You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
> one analogue output in the video chip.
>
> Steve

Bugger...
While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?
I might need to look into getting another video card into the box instead...

Run the component fron the onboard and the composite from the second
video card

Also

This could work
http://www.nti.co.nz/dvi-vga.html

depending on how much is is of course

JohnO

On Jun 26, 9:40 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
> > On Jun 25, 4:11 pm, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Im very confused now

> >> THis motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM
> >> Specifications on the asus website say it has DVI-D output.
> >> HOwever, Pictures show that it could be DVI-I

> >> Some reviews say its DVI-I

> >> I rang the distributor and they say DVI-D (they could just be reading
> >> asus specs though)

> >> So can anyone confirm... is it really DVI-D only?

> >> Some people have also told me that the component video output and
> >> composite video output work simultaneously - this was from a dfi
> >> distributor) - asus distrubutor said they dont work simultaneously

> >> Do you understand why im confused... everyoen gives a different story

> > It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR -http://www.mypvr.co.nz

> > You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
> > one analogue output in the video chip.

> > Steve

> Bugger...
> While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?

I'd be surprised. All the Nvidia Geforce adapters I've used allow the
digital and tv outputs to work at the same time.

You can also set different resolutions on each.

> I might need to look into getting another video card into the box instead...
>
> Run the component fron the onboard and the composite from the second
> video card
>
> Also
>
> This could workhttp://www.nti.co.nz/dvi-vga.html
>
> depending on how much is is of course- Hide quoted text -

Steven Ellis

On Jun 26, 9:40 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
> > On Jun 25, 4:11 pm, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Im very confused now

> >> THis motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM
> >> Specifications on the asus website say it has DVI-D output.
> >> HOwever, Pictures show that it could be DVI-I

> >> Some reviews say its DVI-I

> >> I rang the distributor and they say DVI-D (they could just be reading
> >> asus specs though)

> >> So can anyone confirm... is it really DVI-D only?

> >> Some people have also told me that the component video output and
> >> composite video output work simultaneously - this was from a dfi
> >> distributor) - asus distrubutor said they dont work simultaneously

> >> Do you understand why im confused... everyoen gives a different story

> > It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR -http://www.mypvr.co.nz

> > You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
> > one analogue output in the video chip.

> > Steve

> Bugger...
> While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?
> I might need to look into getting another video card into the box instead...
>
> Run the component fron the onboard and the composite from the second
> video card
>
> Also
>
> This could workhttp://www.nti.co.nz/dvi-vga.html
>
> depending on how much is is of course

Sorry it won't. The DVI is DVI only, you can't run a VGA monitor off
it with an adaptor.

Andrew Lambert

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:40 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Steven Ellis wrote:
>>> It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR -http://www.mypvr.co.nz
>>> You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
>>> one analogue output in the video chip.
>>> Steve

>> Bugger...
>> While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?
>> I might need to look into getting another video card into the box instead...
>>
>> Run the component fron the onboard and the composite from the second
>> video card
>>
>> Also
>>
>> This could workhttp://www.nti.co.nz/dvi-vga.html
>>
>> depending on how much is is of course

> Sorry it won't. The DVI is DVI only, you can't run a VGA monitor off
> it with an adaptor.

That particular adaptor converts dvi-d to analouge...
However its $600!!

From green button:
This is from green button:
the 6150 chipset can only support one analog and one digital output at a
time since is only has a single video DAC. so you are limited to the
following situations

1. Composite + DVI-D
2. Component + DVI-D
3. VGA + DVI-D

There was a 6150B chipset that had 2 video DACs which allowed two
simultaneous analog outputs, but my understanding that it was limited to
socket939 motherboards

I cant find a suitable 939 board - and i dont want to go down that path

Im currently looking at a second video card to run the composite

Andrew Lambert

JohnO wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:40 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Steven Ellis wrote:
>>> It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR -http://www.mypvr.co.nz
>>> You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
>>> one analogue output in the video chip.
>>> Steve

>> Bugger...
>> While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?

> I'd be surprised. All the Nvidia Geforce adapters I've used allow the
> digital and tv outputs to work at the same time.

Same... but alas, its true...

Steven Ellis

On Jun 26, 11:46 am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:40 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Steven Ellis wrote:

> > > It is DVI-D. We use them for myPVR -http://www.mypvr.co.nz

> > > You can't do Composite and Component at the same time as there is only
> > > one analogue output in the video chip.

> > > Steve

> > Bugger...
> > While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?

> I'd be surprised. All the Nvidia Geforce adapters I've used allow the
> digital and tv outputs to work at the same time.
>
> You can also set different resolutions on each.

You can run different resolutions if they are different disktops.
Thats no good on a Media PC where you want the same output on
Composite and DVI. For that to happen they need to be the same
resolution and refresh rate.

JohnO

On Jun 26, 6:09 pm, Steven Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:46 am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Bugger...
> > > While using the component, Is it true that the vga d sub does not work?

> > I'd be surprised. All the Nvidia Geforce adapters I've used allow the
> > digital and tv outputs to work at the same time.

> > You can also set different resolutions on each.

> You can run different resolutions if they are different disktops.
> Thats no good on a Media PC where you want the same output on
> Composite and DVI. For that to happen they need to be the same
> resolution and refresh rate.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt that's a typical case. Most PVR users would want one TV per
PC. The second output would only be the pc monitor used for
maintenance and setup. If you want two TVs you run a PVR client.

Steven Ellis

On Jun 27, 9:37 am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 6:09 pm, Steven Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I'd be surprised. All the Nvidia Geforce adapters I've used allow the
> > > digital and tv outputs to work at the same time.

> > > You can also set different resolutions on each.

> > You can run different resolutions if they are different disktops.
> > Thats no good on a Media PC where you want the same output on
> > Composite and DVI. For that to happen they need to be the same
> > resolution and refresh rate.- Hide quoted text -

> I doubt that's a typical case. Most PVR users would want one TV per
> PC. The second output would only be the pc monitor used for
> maintenance and setup. If you want two TVs you run a PVR client.

I've got customers who want a HD feed on their main TV, but would like
an SD composite out feed to another room showing the same output. They
don't want another PC or STB in the other room

A lot of people distribute SkyTV round their house with the same
picture on all screens.

Steve