Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For the Lunix fans here...

For the Lunix fans here...

jack

Microsoft Claims Vista Is More Secure Than Linux

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112006L6U3DC

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:22:18 +1200, jack <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Microsoft Claims Vista Is More Secure Than Linux
>

>http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112006L6U3DC

Read it and weep, Linux zealots.

Shane

jack wrote:

> Microsoft Claims Vista Is More Secure Than Linux
>

> http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112006L6U3DC

More than a coincidence that your article follows the one I posted showing
Microsoft is fudging the numbers?

--
Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.

Chris Hope

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:22:18 +1200, jack <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>
>>Microsoft Claims Vista Is More Secure Than Linux
>>
>>http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112006L6U3DC

> Read it and weep, Linux zealots.

I'm not a zealot, but I don't see a lot to weep about. There are factual
inaccuracies in the article (for example saying that Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4 is the most downloaded GNU/Linux distribution, when it isn't)
and often a lot of the numbers of vulnerabilities in Linux distros
comes down to the sheer number of 3rd party applications that ship in
one. This of course doesn't excuse anything and I would expect better
of Red Hat to ship their product with so many issues, expecially given
the long beta periods they usually have. If it was two or three months
down the track, it would be better comparing RHEL5 with Vista because
it's also relatively new. I would be interested to know when it gets to
6 months old how many vulnerabilities it has had and how it has
compared to Red Hat's previous offerings.

Some interesting points from the article:

There were also vulnerability disclosures during Windows Vista's first
six months that have not yet been addressed by a fix. The NIST rated
only one of them "high" severity, while four have been rated "medium"
and 10 have been rated "low."

Still, Sutton said he is not ready to declare a winner in this
long-standing security debate. "It is encouraging to see that thus far
Vista has faced fewer critical vulnerabilities," he said. "However, six
months is not a sufficient time frame to pass judgment on the overall
security of the operating system."

Sutton also pointed out that Vista has introduced many fundamental
changes and said it will take some time before researchers have spent
adequate time testing the new operating system.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:32:35 +1200, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Still, Sutton said he is not ready to declare a winner in this
>long-standing security debate. "It is encouraging to see that thus far
>Vista has faced fewer critical vulnerabilities," he said. "However, six
>months is not a sufficient time frame to pass judgment on the overall
>security of the operating system."

Yawn. Of course he's not going to declare a winner.

>Sutton also pointed out that Vista has introduced many fundamental
>changes and said it will take some time before researchers have spent
>adequate time testing the new operating system.

That's a copout. Vista's probably the most tested OS there is.

Chris Hope

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:32:35 +1200, Chris Hope
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Still, Sutton said he is not ready to declare a winner in this
>>long-standing security debate. "It is encouraging to see that thus far
>>Vista has faced fewer critical vulnerabilities," he said. "However,
>>six months is not a sufficient time frame to pass judgment on the
>>overall security of the operating system."

> Yawn. Of course he's not going to declare a winner.
>
>>Sutton also pointed out that Vista has introduced many fundamental
>>changes and said it will take some time before researchers have spent
>>adequate time testing the new operating system.

> That's a copout. Vista's probably the most tested OS there is.

I was just quoting the article.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:52:46 +1200, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:32:35 +1200, Chris Hope
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>
>>>Still, Sutton said he is not ready to declare a winner in this
>>>long-standing security debate. "It is encouraging to see that thus far
>>>Vista has faced fewer critical vulnerabilities," he said. "However,
>>>six months is not a sufficient time frame to pass judgment on the
>>>overall security of the operating system."

>> Yawn. Of course he's not going to declare a winner.
>>
>>>Sutton also pointed out that Vista has introduced many fundamental
>>>changes and said it will take some time before researchers have spent
>>>adequate time testing the new operating system.

>> That's a copout. Vista's probably the most tested OS there is.

>I was just quoting the article.

Yes, but the article's a copout...

Chris Hope

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:52:46 +1200, Chris Hope
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:32:35 +1200, Chris Hope
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>> Yawn. Of course he's not going to declare a winner.

>>> That's a copout. Vista's probably the most tested OS there is.

>>I was just quoting the article.

> Yes, but the article's a copout...

And there you were saying read it and weep

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:10:39 +1200, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:52:46 +1200, Chris Hope
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>>I was just quoting the article.

>> Yes, but the article's a copout...

>And there you were saying read it and weep

LOL!!! Excellent... Got me.

E. Scrooge

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:22:18 +1200, jack <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>>
>>>Microsoft Claims Vista Is More Secure Than Linux
>>>
>>>http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112006L6U3DC

>> Read it and weep, Linux zealots.

> I'm not a zealot, but I don't see a lot to weep about. There are factual
> inaccuracies in the article (for example saying that Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 4 is the most downloaded GNU/Linux distribution, when it isn't)
> and often a lot of the numbers of vulnerabilities in Linux distros
> comes down to the sheer number of 3rd party applications that ship in
> one. This of course doesn't excuse anything and I would expect better
> of Red Hat to ship their product with so many issues, expecially given
> the long beta periods they usually have. If it was two or three months
> down the track, it would be better comparing RHEL5 with Vista because
> it's also relatively new. I would be interested to know when it gets to
> 6 months old how many vulnerabilities it has had and how it has
> compared to Red Hat's previous offerings.

Vista is hardly as new as you think. Early versions for testing purposes
have been in use for over a year.
Hardware products don't even bother to provide Linux versions of their
manuals on CD because the user base is far too small to bother with, and
besides they can't be bothered buying decent products in the first place as
they expect everything to be free.

E. Scrooge