Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CD versus DVD writables

CD versus DVD writables

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Once writable CDs became popular, people started trying to do all kinds of
things with them. Witness the supplanting of the original 74-minute discs
with 80-minute ones, and some tried pushing the envelope even higher, with
90 minutes or more.

There were also those little business-card-sized CDs that could hold about
50MB.

With writable DVDs, nothing of the sort has happened. No one has tried to
cram ever more data onto them. And how come no one has tried to produce
business-card-sized discs? I estimate these should offer about half the
capacity of a full-sized CD.

PeeCee

news:f5hlvm$fdt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once writable CDs became popular, people started trying to do all kinds of
> things with them. Witness the supplanting of the original 74-minute discs
> with 80-minute ones, and some tried pushing the envelope even higher, with
> 90 minutes or more.
>
> There were also those little business-card-sized CDs that could hold about
> 50MB.
>
> With writable DVDs, nothing of the sort has happened. No one has tried to
> cram ever more data onto them. And how come no one has tried to produce
> business-card-sized discs? I estimate these should offer about half the
> capacity of a full-sized CD.

Lawrence

Smaller 8CM DVD RW's (1.4GB)have been available for quite a while, eg DSE
Cat # XM0737
You will note they are 'expensive' per GB and would explain why 12CM 4.3GB
are more popular.
i.e. they are cheaper.
Also the smaller form factor particularly the gimicky 'business cards' never
seemed to catch on, particulary as the less technically inclined often
didn't know these smaller disks would work in the same drive as a 12CM disk.
Trying to put a 8CM disk into a vertically mounted drive was also nigh on
impossible.

As for bigger capacities I would postulate most folk find the capacity of a
DVD meets most needs.
If single layer (4.38GB) isn't enough then dual layer (9GB) may do so.
Most of the SME's I deal with have backup needs that all fit onto single
layer DVD's
The biggest problem with them is getting the backup done! not fitting it
onto the backup media.

The future media is of course going to be HD-DVD or Blu Ray DVD (up to 50GB
capacity per disk)
Once the format war is sorted it will become the natural replacement so
there is no need to 'stretch' the current DVD standard to (say) 5.5 GB or 11
GB.

The one area where DVD (or HD DVD/Blu Ray) capacity can be a factor is where
it involves digital photography.
It is quite easy to fill a 4GB SD with a 10 MP DSLR in a couple of hours, so
if you are a wedding photographer for example ....
In these case external HD's for interim backups until the permanent DVD(s)
are burnt and filed for each client is the logical solution. If you think
about it, it is no different to the organisation needed to manage film and
negative files anyway.
(or for that matter a repository of Linux distro iso's)

FWIW

Best
Paul.

jack

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:36:08 +1200, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:f5hlvm$fdt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Once writable CDs became popular, people started trying to do all kinds of
>> things with them. Witness the supplanting of the original 74-minute discs
>> with 80-minute ones, and some tried pushing the envelope even higher, with
>> 90 minutes or more.
>>
>> There were also those little business-card-sized CDs that could hold about
>> 50MB.
>>
>> With writable DVDs, nothing of the sort has happened. No one has tried to
>> cram ever more data onto them. And how come no one has tried to produce
>> business-card-sized discs? I estimate these should offer about half the
>> capacity of a full-sized CD.

>Lawrence
>
>Smaller 8CM DVD RW's (1.4GB)have been available for quite a while, eg DSE
>Cat # XM0737
>You will note they are 'expensive' per GB and would explain why 12CM 4.3GB
>are more popular.
>i.e. they are cheaper.
>Also the smaller form factor particularly the gimicky 'business cards' never
>seemed to catch on, particulary as the less technically inclined often
>didn't know these smaller disks would work in the same drive as a 12CM disk.
>Trying to put a 8CM disk into a vertically mounted drive was also nigh on
>impossible.
>
>As for bigger capacities I would postulate most folk find the capacity of a
>DVD meets most needs.
>If single layer (4.38GB) isn't enough then dual layer (9GB) may do so.
>Most of the SME's I deal with have backup needs that all fit onto single
>layer DVD's
>The biggest problem with them is getting the backup done! not fitting it
>onto the backup media.
>
>The future media is of course going to be HD-DVD or Blu Ray DVD (up to 50GB
>capacity per disk)
>Once the format war is sorted it will become the natural replacement so
>there is no need to 'stretch' the current DVD standard to (say) 5.5 GB or 11
>GB.
>
>The one area where DVD (or HD DVD/Blu Ray) capacity can be a factor is where
>it involves digital photography.
>It is quite easy to fill a 4GB SD with a 10 MP DSLR in a couple of hours, so
>if you are a wedding photographer for example ....
>In these case external HD's for interim backups until the permanent DVD(s)
>are burnt and filed for each client is the logical solution. If you think
>about it, it is no different to the organisation needed to manage film and
>negative files anyway.
>(or for that matter a repository of Linux distro iso's)
>
>FWIW
>
>Best
>Paul.

I have 3 Application software Drivers etc that came on 8CM disk, and you need a Adapter to run
them on a Slot loading drive..

Jerry

PeeCee wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:f5hlvm$fdt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Once writable CDs became popular, people started trying to do all kinds of
>> things with them. Witness the supplanting of the original 74-minute discs
>> with 80-minute ones, and some tried pushing the envelope even higher, with
>> 90 minutes or more.
>>
>> There were also those little business-card-sized CDs that could hold about
>> 50MB.
>>
>> With writable DVDs, nothing of the sort has happened. No one has tried to
>> cram ever more data onto them. And how come no one has tried to produce
>> business-card-sized discs? I estimate these should offer about half the
>> capacity of a full-sized CD.

> Lawrence
>
> Smaller 8CM DVD RW's (1.4GB)have been available for quite a while, eg DSE
> Cat # XM0737
> You will note they are 'expensive' per GB and would explain why 12CM 4.3GB
> are more popular.
> i.e. they are cheaper.
> Also the smaller form factor particularly the gimicky 'business cards' never
> seemed to catch on, particulary as the less technically inclined often
> didn't know these smaller disks would work in the same drive as a 12CM disk.
> Trying to put a 8CM disk into a vertically mounted drive was also nigh on
> impossible.
>
> As for bigger capacities I would postulate most folk find the capacity of a
> DVD meets most needs.
> If single layer (4.38GB) isn't enough then dual layer (9GB) may do so.
> Most of the SME's I deal with have backup needs that all fit onto single
> layer DVD's
> The biggest problem with them is getting the backup done! not fitting it
> onto the backup media.
>
> The future media is of course going to be HD-DVD or Blu Ray DVD (up to 50GB
> capacity per disk)
> Once the format war is sorted it will become the natural replacement so
> there is no need to 'stretch' the current DVD standard to (say) 5.5 GB or 11
> GB.
>
> The one area where DVD (or HD DVD/Blu Ray) capacity can be a factor is where
> it involves digital photography.
> It is quite easy to fill a 4GB SD with a 10 MP DSLR in a couple of hours, so
> if you are a wedding photographer for example ....
> In these case external HD's for interim backups until the permanent DVD(s)
> are burnt and filed for each client is the logical solution. If you think
> about it, it is no different to the organisation needed to manage film and
> negative files anyway.
> (or for that matter a repository of Linux distro iso's)

I've found at least 2 of the business card sized CDs stuck in floppy
drives by clever customers. The 8cm DVDs of course work in video cameras.

Jason Clinton

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:31:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Once writable CDs became popular, people started trying to do all kinds of
>things with them. Witness the supplanting of the original 74-minute discs
>with 80-minute ones, and some tried pushing the envelope even higher, with
>90 minutes or more.
>
>There were also those little business-card-sized CDs that could hold about
>50MB.
>
>With writable DVDs, nothing of the sort has happened. No one has tried to
>cram ever more data onto them. And how come no one has tried to produce
>business-card-sized discs? I estimate these should offer about half the
>capacity of a full-sized CD.

Don't forget the 99 minute CD's

There was also a double-sided writable format - I can't remember if it
was CD or DVD though.

Also the high capacity 1.4GB CD format, HD-Burn