Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS and Gangster History..

MS and Gangster History..

jack

I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may be still do, but comments
from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..

"We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
protection money to anyone."

http://www.hardocp.com/?

Article

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...20&pagtype=all

thingy

jack wrote:

> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may be still do, but comments
> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
>
> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
> protection money to anyone."
>

> http://www.hardocp.com/?
>

> Article
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...20&pagtype=all

So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
ground financially....

Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...

Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....

Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
surviving....

As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
to it.

regards

Thing

peterwn

thingy wrote:
> jack wrote:
>>

>> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may
>> be still do, but comments
>> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
>>
>> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from
>> Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
>> protection money to anyone."
>>
>> http://www.hardocp.com/?
>>

>> Article
>>
>> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...20&pagtype=all
>>

> So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
> ground financially....
>
> Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
> would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...
>
> Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
> Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....
>
> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...
>
> If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
> bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
> tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
> surviving....
>
> As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
> that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
> patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
> anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
> in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
> open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
> to it.

It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
apologise to him for this.

BrianM

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:15:05 +1200, jack wrote:

> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may

be still do, but comments
> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
>
> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from Microsoft

to do our job, or to pay
> protection money to anyone."
>

> http://www.hardocp.com/?
>

> Article
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...20&pagtype=all

I thought the big distros were quite polite in basically telling Ms to
shove it up their ass. Well done. Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's
office.

brianM

peterwn

BrianM wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:15:05 +1200, jack wrote:

> I thought the big distros were quite polite in basically telling Ms to
> shove it up their ass. Well done. Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's
> office.

The ones who have signed up were basically offered $$$$ to do so -
probably more than the respective businesses were worth. Novell was a
slightly special case - M$ wanted to tack the deal on the end of a
lawsuit settlement - I think Novell is going to have the last laugh on
this one.

Peter

thingy wrote:
> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

Isn't that the journalist / analyst who wrote articles saying SCO had a
valid case? It seems like years ago.

(And for the newcomers ... SCO never did manage to identify any of the
millions of lines of code they claimed were illegally copied.)

Peter

peterwn

Peter wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
>> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

> Isn't that the journalist / analyst who wrote articles saying SCO had a
> valid case? It seems like years ago.
>

> (And for the newcomers ... SCO never did manage to identify any of the
> millions of lines of code they claimed were illegally copied.)

And what is more, SCO at the time was making analysts, etc sign NDA's
before they were allowed to sight the 'infringing' code. However,
Yankee Group has a policy of not allowing its staff to sign NDA's, but
SCO allowed Laura to see the code anyway.

Some code said to be 'infringing' was indeed among SCO's most holy IP,
but the same code was also in open source BSD.

BrianM

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:16:38 +1200, peterwn wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>> jack wrote:
>>>

>>> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may
>>> be still do, but comments
>>> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
>>>
>>> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from
>>> Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
>>> protection money to anyone."
>>>
>>> http://www.hardocp.com/?
>>>

>>> Article
>>>
>>> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...20&pagtype=all
>>>

>> So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
>> ground financially....
>>
>> Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
>> would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...
>>
>> Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
>> Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....
>>
>> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
>> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...
>>
>> If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
>> bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
>> tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
>> surviving....
>>
>> As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
>> that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
>> patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
>> anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
>> in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
>> open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
>> to it.
>>

> It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
> astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
> working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
> are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
> engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
> Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
> apologise to him for this.

If Pamela Jones "was" an IBM agent, would Ms be trying to dig
itself out of a **** pile of IBM counter-patents right now?. IBM by the
same token is not the defacto Linux father xmas; the less commercial Linux
companies competing with it has to be good, and Xandros
Novell Linspire and the Zeds may well be written off the list depending on
the final script of the GPLv3. The Linux community is not going to fall
over because of a few cash blindsided idiots. In the end, if they survive,
they might surprise us all and do a "Mandarin syndrome" on the borg.

cheers
brianM

Jonathan Walker

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:23:05 +0000, BrianM wrote:

> Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's office.

Bulmer's never going to live that one down - and neither should he.

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

Bruce Sinclair

In article <467b4d24$(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
>astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
>working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
>are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
>engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
>Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
>apologise to him for this.

Never ascribe to conspiracy what is adequately explained by stupidity.

Corum Bubble Gangster 02320.592001 Brandon campbell C++ 0 08-25-2009 06:51 AM
New releases: In The Valley Of Elah, American Gangster & Love In The Time Of Cholera: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD Db & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 12-25-2007 08:10 AM
if and and vs if and,and titi VHDL 4 03-11-2007 05:23 AM
Microsoft becoming a gangster? or maybe a common mugger....whichis worse I wonder..... Matthew Poole NZ Computing 4 05-01-2005 10:13 PM

Advertisments