Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ubuntu CLI

Ubuntu CLI

Miguel

Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
smile...

<snip>
"Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"

You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar to

sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
underscores_strokes/and.dots

</snip>

So true, so true...

Regards
Miguel

Shane

Miguel wrote:

> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
> smile...
>
> <snip>
> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
>
> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar to
>
> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
> underscores_strokes/and.dots
>
> </snip>
>
> So true, so true...
>
> Regards
> Miguel

Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
eg. |
*shakes head*

--
Q: What is hallucinogenic and exists for every group with order divisible by
p^k?

peterwn

Shane wrote:
> Miguel wrote:
>
>> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
>> smile...
>>
>> <snip>
>> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
>>
>> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar to
>>
>> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
>> underscores_strokes/and.dots
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> So true, so true...
>>
>> Regards
>> Miguel

> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
> eg. |
> *shakes head*

No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
familiar format except for the forward slashes.

Shane

peterwn wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Miguel wrote:
>>
>>> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
>>> smile...
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
>>>
>>> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar
>>>
>>> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
>>> underscores_strokes/and.dots
>>>
>>> </snip>
>>>
>>> So true, so true...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Miguel

>> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
>> eg. |
>> *shakes head*
>>

> No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
> slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
> forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
> backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
> web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
> UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

Just out of curiousity peter, when would you see pipes being used on the
commandline??
When you figure that out you *might* understand my response.

> I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
> am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
> could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
> need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
> may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
> familiar format except for the forward slashes.

--
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

sam

Shane wrote:
> peterwn wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:

>>> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes
>>> eg. |
>>> *shakes head*
>>>

>> No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
>> slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
>> forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
>> backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
>> web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
>> UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.
>>

> Just out of curiousity peter, when would you see pipes being used on the
> commandline??
> When you figure that out you *might* understand my response.
>
>> I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I
>> am unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one
>> could write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no
>> need for .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name
>> may follow a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite
>> familiar format except for the forward slashes.

I bet Miguel wishes he never tried pointing out some humour to the
Aspergers crowd now !

Shane

sam wrote:

Wasnt the last nym you used to run "Shannon"

--
Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
A: A Bananach space.

impossible

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46788fc1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shane wrote:
>> Miguel wrote:
>>
>>> Won't mean anything to most people but, being a linux newbie, it made me
>>> smile...
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> "Introduction to using the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu"
>>>
>>> You'll probably have seen instructions on help pages or forums similar
>>>
>>> sudo gobbledegook blah_blah -w -t -f aWkward/ComBinationOf/mixedCase/
>>> underscores_strokes/and.dots
>>>
>>> </snip>
>>>
>>> So true, so true...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Miguel

>> Im *sure* those forward slashes should be pipes eg. |
>> *shakes head*
>>

> No, actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
> slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
> forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
> backward slash. Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate web
> site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie UNIX,
> Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.
>
> I cannot comment on the correctness of the 'sudo' line quoted because I am
> unaware of any program or script called gobbledegook , although one could
> write a script or program and call it that (in *NIX there is no need for
> .exe for program names). In some commands (eg tar) a file name may follow
> a -f as in the above example - the file name being in quite familiar
> format except for the forward slashes.

Thank God for that clarification!! And they say Linuxheads have no sense of
humor....

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <46788fc1$(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn wrote:

> ... actually forward slashes in UNIX/ Linux are the same as backward
> slashes in MS-DOS - the use of slashes came from the same heritage of
> forward slashes, but in MS-DOS and its predecessors it got changed to a
> backward slash.

The reason for that was that forward slashes were already being used in
PC/MS-DOS 1.x to indicate command-line options. Hence when directory
hierarchies were introduced in 2.x, they decided to go with backslashes as
the path separator.

> Forward slashes are also used by browsers to navigate
> web site directories, this applies whether the site is on a *NIX (ie
> UNIX, Linux, BSD etc) or Windows server.

Though I believe Internet Explorer will accept backslashes in URLs, silently
converting them to forward slashes.

This backslash/forward-slash confusion I like to call "DOSlexia". I often
see it exhibited by Windows users.

Fun idea: set up a basic Web server. At the top level of the DocumentRoot,
put a file called "DOS\lexia.html", and a subdirectory called "DOS". Within
the latter, put a file called "lexia.html".

Then try the following URL in different browsers:

http://your-web-server/DOS\lexia.html

and see which page they display.

> In some commands (eg tar) a file name may follow a -f as in the above
> example ...

Did you notice the -w and -t preceding the -f?