Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > uAtx htpc motherboard

uAtx htpc motherboard

Andrew Lambert

Im on the hunt for a motherboard that suits my needs... appears to be
more difficult then i thought

Specific requirements for the motherboard:
micro ATX
digital sound out - optical prefered
Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component

If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
to Component converter

As i dont have the amplifier yet to take component and digital audio,
The board needs to be able to output tv out via composite and just 2
channel sound.... The new amplifer is on the cards, but im thinking for
now and making sure its going to work for the future

My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
best it can take is component video

The case that the motherboard is going into is a slimline one, Probbably
this:
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=340881

Im trying to avoid having to put on any addon cards, If i do have to go
down that path they would need to be low rising to fit into the case.

The best i have found so far is the dfi infinity RS482
It meets all the requirements, BUT unfortunatly its a amd socket 939 -
With those cpu types now being discontinued... its very hard to find a
dual core version

Im hoping to be able to find something with the AM2 socket... I thought
about going intel, But the power requirements for them are quite high. I
would prefer to get a cooler cpu. Amd are not only cooler but they are
cheaper too

The next best board ive found is an asus board
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=348650

Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though

Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case

Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
for the above boards?

Steven Ellis

On Jun 18, 8:48 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Im on the hunt for a motherboard that suits my needs... appears to be
> more difficult then i thought
>
> Specific requirements for the motherboard:
> micro ATX
> digital sound out - optical prefered
> Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
>
> If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
> to Component converter
>
> As i dont have the amplifier yet to take component and digital audio,
> The board needs to be able to output tv out via composite and just 2
> channel sound.... The new amplifer is on the cards, but im thinking for
> now and making sure its going to work for the future
>
> My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
> best it can take is component video
>
> The case that the motherboard is going into is a slimline one, Probbably
> this:http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=340881
>
> Im trying to avoid having to put on any addon cards, If i do have to go
> down that path they would need to be low rising to fit into the case.
>
> The best i have found so far is the dfi infinity RS482
> It meets all the requirements, BUT unfortunatly its a amd socket 939 -
> With those cpu types now being discontinued... its very hard to find a
> dual core version
>
> Im hoping to be able to find something with the AM2 socket... I thought
> about going intel, But the power requirements for them are quite high. I
> would prefer to get a cooler cpu. Amd are not only cooler but they are
> cheaper too
>
> The next best board ive found is an asus boardhttp://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348650
>
> Some places say it doesnt have digital audio.. others say it does have
> spdif out (coax digital)... Spefifications say jack sensing spdif -
> reviews say something about onboard spdif, Pictures dont show it though
>
> Also, From what i can see the component out is avaialable only via a pci
> bracket which does not look to fit in a low rising case
>
> Does anyone here have any suggestions on other motherboards, Or options
> for the above boards?

The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
video adaptor as standard.

These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
solution from OpenMedia. See http://www.mypvr.co.nz for some details.

Andrew Lambert

> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
> video adaptor as standard.
>
> These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
> solution from OpenMedia. See http://www.mypvr.co.nz for some details.

Thanks
This is where i start to get confused
Asus have two boards:
M2A-VM
M2A-VM HDMI

Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

Based on reviews and other websites it looks as though both have component..

Audio wise, Does the motherboard come with the adapter to get digital
audio?. I dont know much about spdif and the audio options on
motherboards, All i know is that the amplifier i will be getting will
have optical. I presume Most amplifers that have optical sound would
also have coax sound?

Whats better.. optical or digital. From a listening point of view and a
cabling point of view

Steven Ellis

On Jun 18, 9:55 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
> > a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
> > the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
> > video adaptor as standard.

> > These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
> > solution from OpenMedia. Seehttp://www.mypvr.co.nzfor some details.

> Thanks
> This is where i start to get confused
> Asus have two boards:
> M2A-VM
> M2A-VM HDMI
>
> Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
> doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

I haven't used either of those boards. The are AMD/ATI based whereas
the M2NPV-VM is Nvidia based

> Based on reviews and other websites it looks as though both have component..
>
> Audio wise, Does the motherboard come with the adapter to get digital
> audio?. I dont know much about spdif and the audio options on
> motherboards, All i know is that the amplifier i will be getting will
> have optical. I presume Most amplifers that have optical sound would
> also have coax sound?

They don't come with an adaptor, so you need to find a supplier to
stocks them. Some cases have build in coax adaptors you can use

> Whats better.. optical or digital. From a listening point of view and a
> cabling point of view

The optical is converted off the coax usually when dealing with
motherboards, so I'd stick with Coax if I could.

Steve

Andrew Lambert

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Jun 18, 9:55 am, Andrew Lambert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
>>> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
>>> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
>>> video adaptor as standard.
>>> These are the boards that are used in myPVR, a MythTV based PVR
>>> solution from OpenMedia. Seehttp://www.mypvr.co.nzfor some details.

>> Thanks
>> This is where i start to get confused
>> Asus have two boards:
>> M2A-VM
>> M2A-VM HDMI
>>
>> Specifications state that the HDMI version has component output, But
>> doesnt mention it on the non HDMI board..

> I haven't used either of those boards. The are AMD/ATI based whereas
> the M2NPV-VM is Nvidia based

Sorry, My fault, The damn model numbers merge into one another after you
have looked at them too long.. Now i have no idea what research i have
done actually is correct

Looking at the correct board on the asus site, It looks much better. I
can see the component video adapter.

All i need to find now is the correct adaptor for the spdif audio

> The optical is converted off the coax usually when dealing with
> motherboards, so I'd stick with Coax if I could.

Thanks, The amplifier im looking at is a yamaha, current model is
RX-V2700. However previous models - RX-V2600 and the RX-V2500 both look
like they will suit my needs also - i have not actualy looked closely
what the differences are, But i think the main features i require are
the same

The 2700 has optical and coax audio inputs:
OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OUT) 4(2)
COAXIAL DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OUT) 3(0)

Craig Whitmore

"Andrew Lambert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
>> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
>> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
>> video adaptor as standard.

The M2NPV-VM is a great board. I have one + I got the SPDIF
OPTICALOUT/COXIAL adapter for it as well(only an extra $20). The board comes
with VGA and DVI-D (which you can use a DVI->HDMI cable if you have HDMI)
and component out as well. It is fully supportted under linux and works
great .

I made a HTPC with

Athlon X64 4800+
LC16M case (Quiet)
M2NPV-VM
Caviar SE16 320G drive (really quiet)
2G DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
Whisper II EP565P power supply (Quiet)
Zalman CNP AM2 CPU Fan (Quiet)
Liteon DVD+-RW (the noisist things when its up and runnning.. anyone suggest
a Quite one)
WG111 USB Wireless Adapter
DVI-D->HDMI cable
SPF Optical/Coaxial adapter
Optical Cable
Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

All for about $1400

Thanks

Steven Ellis

On Jun 18, 3:36 pm, "Craig Whitmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Andrew Lambert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >> The Asus M2NPV-VM is an excellent board with Component video out, and
> >> a coax/optical SPDIF header on the motherboard. You just need to get
> >> the adaptor for the digital audio, but it comes with the Component
> >> video adaptor as standard.

> The M2NPV-VM is a great board. I have one + I got the SPDIF
> OPTICALOUT/COXIAL adapter for it as well(only an extra $20). The board comes
> with VGA and DVI-D (which you can use a DVI->HDMI cable if you have HDMI)
> and component out as well. It is fully supportted under linux and works
> great .
>
> I made a HTPC with
>
> Athlon X64 4800+

CPU overkill

> LC16M case (Quiet)
> M2NPV-VM
> Caviar SE16 320G drive (really quiet)
> 2G DDR2 Dual Channel RAM

So what theme do you run to use up all of that RAM?

> Whisper II EP565P power supply (Quiet)
> Zalman CNP AM2 CPU Fan (Quiet)
> Liteon DVD+-RW (the noisist things when its up and runnning.. anyone suggest
> a Quite one)

You need the CD/DVD speed tweaks in MythTV 0.21.

> WG111 USB Wireless Adapter
> DVI-D->HDMI cable
> SPF Optical/Coaxial adapter
> Optical Cable
> Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

All of this for a single tuner..

> All for about $1400
>
> Thanks

Steve

Craig Whitmore

>> Optical Cable
>> Hauppauge NovaS+ DVB Card

> All of this for a single tuner..

I am waiting for the HVR-4000 when I can get one (Not got one yet ).
Also I take Sky from the decoder into the Nova-S composite in (/dev/videoX)
(resolution is a little low at the moment, so trying to get this working
better). and I have to make up a IRBlaster so I can change channels
automatically.

Also is there anyway to just record raw instead of havnig to encode it to
MPEG and then decode it to (For Real time Watching)?? so the quality is a
little better.

>> All for about $1400
>>
>> Thanks

> Steve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f546n7$dti$(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Lambert wrote:

> Ether DVI out OR the ability to output video via Component
>
> If i get a board that has only got DVI, Then i will need to find a DVI
> to Component converter

Just a note that DVI allows for either analog or digital, or both: DVI-A is
analog-only, DVI-D is digital-only, and DVI-I is both.

You will not be able to convert between DVI-D and (analog) component.

> My television does not have HDMI and i dont plan on upgrading it. The
> best it can take is component video

HDMI was designed to be signal-compatible with DVI-D--all you need is the
right cable.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <467604f5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Also is there anyway to just record raw instead of havnig to encode it to
> MPEG and then decode it to (For Real time Watching)?? so the quality is a
> little better.

Probably not. For analog TV, the encoding is probably done in hardware. And
digital TV is broadcast directly in MPEG, so all you're getting is the raw
data stream anyway.